Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 2002 Gl1800 goldwing

Postby Dntmech » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi I'm wondering what aftermarket seat is the most comfortable for myself and my wife. It would need a back rest for me. Any suggestions. By the way I'm 6' tall

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Seats

Postby redial » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:15 am

There are too many variables to ponder. You should go to a mc convention and try as many as you can. But to really try a seat, you need to sit on it for about 30 mins, so that your butt gets to fit into the seat, and you can find out where it is good, and where it is not. It is most important for your spouse to be comfortable. Apart from the comfort factor, she will start to fidget while you are going along, and that can be unnerving.

Get her to sit on the passenger seat, first, and see if it is comfortable. I dont suppose you have noticed, but girly bits are different, so what may be comfortable for you, is a killer for her. Happy wife....

Then after you have a shortlist of possibles, look at the terms that they are offering - like guaranteed comfort. Some places will take the seat back if you are not comfortable, if you give them the info, and they can remodel the seat to achieve the comfort that you are wanting.

Heating, especially for the passenger, could be relevant too. If you get it built in from the start, it will save remodelling later. This is just the start to your northern winter, so you will have a bit of time to get it right, and then you will be able to fully enjoy the coming summer.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:05 am

Look around at your riding buddies and see if any of them have the same bike with any of the custom seats. I have let probably fifteen people sit on, or ride, the seat on my bike. With Goldwings, it is a matter of four bolts to pull the seat off and put it on another bike for a trial. As far as "the best seat", as redial said, there are too many variables. I personally hate Corbin as being too hard for me, but love my Ultimate seat, while my riding partner hates my Ultimate and loves his Corbin. He is a bit less padded than I am. I have another buddy that bought an Ultimate because he loved mine, and yet another who bought a Corbin because he loved my riding partners seat. All four of us are different body styles, so it seems that personal preference is the only requirement for a different seat. Road Sofa and Mustang are two others to consider. There are probably four more besides the four I have mentioned. Good luck in your search.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:11 am

I totally agree with Redial about the variables involved and the many seats that are available. Of course the type of riding you might be planning can play a big part also. Do you just do a couple hundred miles on a weekend or do you plan long tours where you may be doing 300-500+ miles a day?

I do urge you to look at the Russell Day Long Seats. Rather than show you different seats and try them to see how they seem to work, Russell asks for photos of you and the wife on the bike, what your weights and sizes are, and then they build a seat to best support you. They have many options for the looks of the seat but the main part is made to fit and support the riders. The negative is the cost but if you do the long rides and long days, they are worth it for the comfort.

My Day Long Seat was the most comfortable place I ever sat including my Lazyboy.

I do not have a Day Long seat on my GL1800 as I have found the stock seat to be comfortable, but after 120,000 miles the foam is starting to fail(I feel pressure points) and I may get a Day Long Seat. first I have to decide if I am keeping the Wing!
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:17 am

I agree with others - what you may love, may be terribly uncomfortable for others.

Also, beware of trying a seat for a few minutes at a motorcycle show or showroom. I've often found that what feels great for a few minutes, doesn't feel so great after a few hours.

To me, cushy soft seats feel great when you first sit on them, but after a few hours, I am horrendously sore.

On the other hand, the Corbin seat I have on my GL1500 is quite firm, and does not feel like it would be that comfortable - but I have ridden 21 hours straight on it and still felt great (although somewhat tired).

Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:00 am

Some seats really look comfortable. I had one years ago that looked as if it would be perfect. I learned the hard way you have to sit on it for at least 30 minutes to really find out. I replaced that one with a Corbin and absolutely loved it. There are people like me who will probably never find a suitable solution being manufactured. Now I have a tailbone which for some reason is very sensitive (hurts like hell) after an hour. I have to remove the cover and cut a pocket into the padding. I doubt even a Corbin would help me with this. My own experience and everything I've heard is that a seat which at first feels firm tends to be the best on long rides.

Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Postby joeincalif » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:22 am

As others have said, different seats for different people. And they are not cheap. Not that being said, I have never heard anyone being not satisfied with a Russell Day Long. Most after market seats are made for a specific height and weight rider and passenger, If you can a used one for sale it might be a good thing to buy it and try it. If it doesn't work for you can always re sell it.
There are several places that re work your stock seat and this could save you a lot of money.

Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:57 am

I have ridden 700 miles plus in a day on my Russell Day Long seat without discomfort. It came on my 88 1500 and I took it off and put it on my 99. It is the most comfortable seat I have ever ridden, without exception. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”