Timing belts

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate

Timing belts

Postby fcanary » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 pm

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most difficult, how hard is it to replace the timing belts on a 1200 Interstate? I don't have much experience on cars and motorcycles but do have mechanical ability having 36 years troubleshooting heating and air conditioning equipment.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Timing belts

Postby dingdong » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:42 am

Not difficult at all if you read carefully and follow the directions in the DIY. No shortcuts allowed. No way to rate it's difficulty. Will vary by individual.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:06 am

I read the original question last night and was trying to formulate a response before I went to bed. When I decided to check back in this morning, I read dingdong's words and thought, that's about what I was going to write too.

There really aren't any special skills involved in replacing the belts. You need a few wrenches, a clean(ish) place to work and a mind-set that you're going to take your time and do the job right. Following the instructions (here) or in a shop repair manual are pretty straightforward and it isn't a long or arduous job. If you find something you don't expect to find (damaged tensioners or the like) be prepared to stop and get the additional parts necessary to make a complete repair as you don't want to do the job twice when once would do.

It is in most of our nature to be a little apprehensive of things we aren't familiar with. This is one of the jobs we do where accuracy is far more important than the speed with which the job is completed. I've known people who say it only takes (insert your best time here), but for me it takes as long as it takes to get everything where it needs to be and closed up again. If your worried about where everything goes, take pictures as you go and get a large piece of cardboard or paper and lay out (number things perhaps in the order in which they were removed) bolting, covers etc. in the way they come off the motorcycle... whatever system you want to do. I suspect you can be done with everything, beginning to end on a couple of hours.

I find drinking coffee (rather than those brown bottles) helps me to keep a clear head and focus on task...

Merry Christmas!

dingdong wrote:Not difficult at all if you read carefully and follow the directions in the DIY. No shortcuts allowed. No way to rate it's difficulty. Will vary by individual.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:20 pm

If you're not too familiar with working on your bike, a belt change is a good way to break yourself into it. Take the covers off and look everything over before you undo anything. See where the timing marks are before you remove things. Belt tension, the path of the belts etc.. Check your timing marks insuring the belts are properly tensioned. Put everything back the way it was. Rotate everything one rev by hand and recheck. Spin the idlers while apart and listen for roughness. Go slowly and pay attention to each step being correct before moving on.

fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate

Postby fcanary » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks guys, I watched a YouTube video and it didn't look too difficult. I'll attempt it next Spring when the weather is nicer.

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:20 pm

The hardest part was removing all the covers and putting them back on. Take your time and follow that video and you will be fine.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:47 pm

I would say about a 4 on the scale...The main thing is, everything needs to be set the way it was before...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”