what would you do?? ebay question

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

what would you do?? ebay question

Postby made2care » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:25 pm

I've purchased a few things on ebay over the years. Just recently won a bid and noticed that the seller had only setup an account a week ago, which could be nothing, maybe they are new to this type of selling.
In the notes with the item description, the seller mentioned that he is new at this and does not have a paypal account and for anyone to call with any questions. I've called several times with no response. I am holding on sending a payment through ebay. Something is "a little smelly in Denmark." The phone number is based in Wisconsin not Denmark. :D
What would you do??

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Re: what would you do?? ebay question

Postby Harp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Report the seller to ebay and do not pay for the product. Make sure you explain what has happened to ebay so it does not damage your rating. Ebay hates scammers and will shut them down rather quickly.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:43 pm

I won a bid once and the seller would not accept PayPal. Only money orders or BidPay. He "graciously" allowed me one extra day to send him payment. My point is that sellers don't have to accept Paypal. Ebay will cover losses if you don't receive the item you payed for or it never arrives.

http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Scroll down and the info is there. It is odd, though, that someone selling doesn't have PayPal. What method did they give you for payment?
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi there,

There actually is a Denmark in Wisconsin. There is also Holland, Norway, Paris, and Belgium. You can also travel to Washington, Maine, or Texas, and never leave the state. Everyone on Ebay had to start sometime, however without a paypal account, I would hesitate. Lots of scams going on . Just last week I was looking at a 2000 chevy 4x4. He was only asking $2000 for a $6500 truck, and he would not do a CASH deal. "Fishy in Denmark" ??!! Does your item come with ebay buyer protection?? Just wondering. ;)
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Lack of response by email or phone is never a good sign. I always ask a question before buying just see if they respond and how fast. If they are slow or don't respond when selling you will likely never hear from them if there is an issue. The bad part right now is the seller has all this listed in their ad which means they haven't done anything wrong so far. You either need to live up to what you agreed to and fight it out if it goes wrong or back out. If you don't send the money you are the doing wrong and will risk a bad mark. I am not saying that is bad thing since that might be the best option. I took that risk once and it turned out to be the right choice. I figured the cash never leaving my hand was the safest bet and was willing to risk a bad mark.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Why bid to start with if you were leery of the payment options available?

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:32 am

With EBay, one never knows. I ordered two computer batteries from China, received the batteries no problem, and they worked for one cycle but then would not recharge. I returned them at my expense for replacement and never heard from the Chinese person/company again. By the time all this had taken place, more than 45 days had passed and Paypal and Ebay would not do anything about it, so I was out my money. The guarantee I was using to send the batteries back was written in their Ebay ad, but I was out $130 plus return shipping. Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware. I still purchase from Ebay, but not if the items come from China. You won the bid, so I would pay the guy and see what happens.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:15 pm

update. Evidently he did have a paypal and for now , all is good. did get a hold of the seller. i guess i will know if the item never shows.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 pm

I've bought literally a ton of stuff off Ebay in the past. Generally speaking, if something looks too good, it is. I bought a marine radio (for my boat) at about 50% of what one SHOULD cost... never received the radio, and the seller (who apparently "sold" several hundred radios he didn't have) disappeared. He made a few mistakes, and I was able to contact the FBI Internet Fraud Division with enough information about him, that he was caught, prosecuted and put in prison... True story. I never got my money back, but at least that thief got put in prison.

I have also had (once or twice) a couple of times where I won something with my first bid (like for 1$) and the seller refused to send me the item because I bought it "too cheaply"... It isn't the buyer's responsibility to set a minimum bid, and if the seller screws up the listing it is on them.. so, I reported those individuals to Ebay, since I wasn't out any money... just angry I didn't get the item(s).

The long and short of it is, there are plenty of new sellers with no feedback who are genuine, BUT I prefer to buy from folks with a good track history when I can. Paying with PayPal affords you a certain amount of protection, but as has been written, it isn't air-tight. It's always best to read the entire listing to ensure the seller will accept the form(s) of payment you're most comfortable with using. If it doesn't say in the listing, I move on to the next one. Life is too short to let some jerk on Ebay monopolize your time with trying to get money you spent back from a thief... plenty of folks will list, sell, and deliver the items for sale as they say they will. If an item is so unique that you can't get it from someone else, it may be worth the risk dealing with a newbie in order to get it... don't know, as I've never been in that situation.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:52 pm

I have also been 'stung' by Ebay/Paypal not honouring their charter, or squeezing out of it because of their 45 day limit. So to obviate this, I pay by credit card. Visa/Mastercard will take up the challenge a lot better than Ebay/Paypal, so to have a "belt and braces" approach, I use Paypal, but get them to take the funds from a credit card. That way, if the left one doesnt get the result, I revert to the right one. Just try to cover your bases.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Replies like yours make me with there was a "two thumbs up" button one could press to signify agreement... so in the spirit of the button "Two Thumbs Up" to what you wrote.

redial wrote:I have also been 'stung' by Ebay/Paypal not honouring their charter, or squeezing out of it because of their 45 day limit. So to obviate this, I pay by credit card. Visa/Mastercard will take up the challenge a lot better than Ebay/Paypal, so to have a "belt and braces" approach, I use Paypal, but get them to take the funds from a credit card. That way, if the left one doesnt get the result, I revert to the right one. Just try to cover your bases.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 am

update. It has been 5 days since i made my purchase. the last contact with the seller was 4 days ago by text. Ebay shows he has not aquired a tracking number. I have text the last few days just to see if the package has been mailed- with no response. I understand people get busy but at least respond ! The seller just became a member on ebay. I'm sure the package will arrive but just in case it doesn't , my bank assured me they would reimburse the monies. This transaction was through Paypal and does show the seller has cashed in .
Anyone out there had a similar experience??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 am

I've used eBay for many, many years. I've only once had someone take my money and then ship nothing, and PayPal instantly refunded me for that.

On the other hand, I sell a LOT of stuff through eBay. I've had probably 8-10 instances where the buyer received the item, then issued a complaint that it was never delivered. PayPal is pretty good about that now - if you register the tracking number with them when it's shipped, and the tracking number shows the item was delivered, then PayPal will protect the seller against these types of claims.

That said, I have had a couple malicious people who were obviously attempting to scam me. One was for a used laptop, where the buyer first said she never got it. Once I was able to show that she did in fact get it (and was able to show her signature on the delivery ticket - thankfully I had shipped it requiring a signature), suddenly she claimed the screen was "broken," and wanted her money back - AND she expected to keep the laptop. Knowing full well the screen was not broken, and that it could not have been broken the way I packaged it, I told her to ship the "broken" laptop back to me and I would refund her. I never did see the laptop - but this was a huge hassle over several weeks that took hours of my time to resolve, producing documentation and communicating with PayPal.

Fortunately, people like that are definitely the exception. Most people are honest.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 am

Well, I was going to sell off all my gl1200 plastic and chrome parts on ebay, but now, I think I will pass. Maybe sell them on here. It's not worth the possible headache of dealing with these kinds of idiots who have nothing better to do with their time !!

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:41 pm

I ordered this part dec 14th and still have not received it. I tried calling the seller with no luck. I did text him yesterday and asked if he had shipped my part. He responded that he would get me a tracking number the same day. He also said the same thing a week ago.Guess what, never received it. Text him again today with no luck.
I'm ready to blow a fuse on this . So it's been 10 days since my purchase. I'm ready to contact eBay or the FBI for that matter.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:53 pm

My questions are: Does the seller live in the same country as you? Is it possible that he has sent the item(s) by some crappy slow delivery service that delivers at the same rate as a slow freighter from China?

I've bought items from China and Hong Kong once or twice and it takes a VERY long time for those things to get to where I live in the US... having written that, it is also possible he has no intention of sending what you bought... but I think after only 10 days, your options for refund are limited... and being as he's a "new" Ebay seller, he may just suck at selling things and following through.

I'm not making excuses for the seller, as I find it to be beyond rude to list something, sell it and then take your ever loving sweet time sending what someone has paid for... But, there could be extenuating circumstance that have delayed your parcel. You are certainly able to start looking into refund and notification that you are not happy with how things are going. I think the first step is you "open a dispute" with Ebay, and it escalates up to and including a refund, from there. I just don't think 10 days is long enough for them to act in your behalf.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:00 pm

How long would you give him then. He's out of Janesville Wisconsin.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:03 pm

If you search the Ebay site, I'm sure there's information regarding filing a complaint and or seeking a refund. If you begin the process, and it's too soon, the site will let you know when you can begin the complaint/refund process... It has been so long since I've had to recover any funds, I can't recall the rules.

I don't know how big what you ordered is (can't recall)... but if you genuinely think he's stealing from you, I'd file for a refund as soon as Ebay or PayPal allows for it.

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Yeah, but I have no idea where you are.

made2care wrote:How long would you give him then. He's out of Janesville Wisconsin.

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm in China. Just kidding. Oklahoma, usa.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Open a complaint. Over on right side of your purchase. There is more action. Go to open case. You can open a case 4 days after purchase date. Then you have to wait 4 days to see if seller response. If seller doesn't you have to go back in to case and turn it over to eBay to investigate.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Open didn't receive item case 4 days after your purchase date and time.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:33 am

made2care wrote:How long would you give him then. He's out of Janesville Wisconsin.

He has had ten days to ship and give you a tracking number. Open a Paypal dispute and immediately (give it an hour) escalate to a claim. If this does not get to him, then you will have your money back, or a tracking number. He is the sort that cause EBay to have a bad name. As you have already communicated with him with no results, you should be able to get to a claim fairly quickly. You can always cancel the claim if the item arrives.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:51 pm

I HAVE BEEN ON EBAY FOR 10 PLUS YEARS ,,COVER UR ASS , SEND HIM A EMAIL AND TELL HIM UR NOT GOING TO SEND A CHECK OR CASH ,,HE NEEDS TO SET UP A ACCOUNT WITH PAYPAL .OR ELSE THE DEAL IS OFF ,,AND DO NOT WORRY ABOUT NOT PAYING HIM ,, HE HAS TO PROVE THAT HE IS WHOM HE SAYS HE IS .. AND BY THE WAY ,,WHAT DID U BUY OR NEED ?? BRENT
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

made2care
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold

Postby made2care » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:59 am

okay, here's the latest. I opened a claim on ebay basically stating that it has been 10 plus days and still no item. He responded back through ebay stating that he is still attempting to setup a debit card through paypal. He also apologized for the delay.
How hard is it to take the item down to the post office, mail it off and then email me the tracking #.
Two possibilities here: 1- The seller is a scammer
2- Seller really does'nt know what the hell he is doing.

Let me reiterate , if the seller does not know what the heck he is doing, its still not rocket science to mail the item and send me the tracking info. I find it hard to believe this guy is a scammer since he is responding.
Thoughts???

Return to “Goldwing Chat”