BRENTSBOATS THE NEW GUY HAD FUN TODAY there is a santa claus

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

BRENTSBOATS THE NEW GUY HAD FUN TODAY there is a santa claus

Postby brentsboats » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Ok a quick story ,, Today i started to do a little work on my 1986 gl1200,, I had just purchased this bike within the last few weeks and have been waiting for a voltage tester to come that i bought on ebay about a week ago . Well today it finaly showed up and i got right into getting rid of the mess of wires that someone had left me when they installed a radio and some fog lites [i think][] on the bike. The dash has a big space where the radio is supposed to be and there was a mile of wires running in every direction .It took me about 5 hrs to get rid of all this crap and get the wires ready for when i install a new radio, and perhaps fog lights up front . So now it was time to check out the stator to make sure the battery was charging as it should . I started the bike up and watched as my meter was jumping all over the place . She would go from 6 volts and shoot up to 16 voilts and then back down again . After a min or two of watching this ,i shut the bike down and really started to think about what the hell i just spent my hard earned money on .? I was really steaming and cursing the guy i got her from . [under my breath] . I then grabbed my little chair and set it down next to the battery box and left side of bike . As i was going to sit ,i started to loose my balance ,i reached out and caught the neg wire that came off the battery . Yes it stopped me from fallen on my ass .And at the same time i noticed the wire move from the top post , WELL HELL! I removed the wires from battery ,cleaned and installed ,, Happy to say that YES ,THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS ,, Bikes charging as she should ,meter reads 14 .6 off the ricter scale ,MERRY XMAS SANTA the milk and cookies will be waiting .
ps ,some pics are now up so stay tuned for work being done on the 86 ,,Going to ride her till friday ,,then in the shed she goes ,

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: BRENTSBOATS THE NEW GUY HAD FUN TODAY there is a santa c

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:37 am

One of the first things I have made it a habit to do when working on a "new to me" old motorcycle is to check battery terminals, and all associated grounds and "hots" to ensure they're clean and making good contact in order to eliminate them as problems as the renewing (getting the thing to run right) process begins.

I don't know if you're familiar with the three wire plug just ahead of the battery box, where the stator connects to the rectifier/regulator on a Goldwing, but it is probably worth having a look at to ensure there is good continuity from the stator to the R/R at that location. Many old-wingers remove the spade lugs and solder the wires together in order to prolong the life of the stator, as when these connectors go bad (and they almost always do at some point) the stator will likely fail.

I'd also check the solenoid connections and the hot wire to the start motor to make sure you've got good contact going to the starter as well. I'd disoccnect the hot lead from the battery and leave it off while doing that check... and clean it before putting it back on.

I had a peek at your web site... being as your familiar with boat repairs, the motorcycle business should be second nature to you... glad you sorted out your fluctuating voltage issue... hopefully, no on was watching :-)
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:53 pm

You are definately not the first one to "stumble" onto the problem while actually doing something else :D . I do some of my best work that way ;) . Ho Ho Ho on the SC part! :lol:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Awesome! :) Sometimes I will stumble across something serendipitously like that, but usually it's only after a few hours of first tearing my hair out. :)

brentsboats
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Make no doubt about it ,I will be doing the wire makeover on both bikes very soon , The gl1200 wires are in need of some serious repair.They really are quite worn from the bike sitting ouutside most of its life.And when i just touched them the other day i could tell that there on the edge right now .As for the gl1100 ,,them wires are looking and feeling like brand new ,But they will be fixed up in the spring .The last thing i want or need is having to replace stator or converting the bikes ,,[no fun] . The weather will be warming up here for a few days ,,And this will be my last chance to ride .So i figure friday the 1200 will be put in shed and the work begins . I will be posting my progress on utube ,,[brentsboats] or if i can ,ill post on this site ,I never have looked to see if one can download vids here. Either way ,stay tuned and thanks for all the input from everyone .
merry xmas ..[almost over]
Thanks For Reading
Brent

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:08 pm

If you haven't already done so, check the other end of both those cables too..... Merry Christmas.
Bill

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:04 pm

As Hawkeye stated, those wires under the left side cover are a weak point for all four-cylinder Wings. That Molex type connector gets old, weak and fails to provide a good connection. The result is removing the engine and replacing the stator. I've done two myself. It can all be avoided by cutting the connector out and soldering/insulating those connections. The bike's old enough to have compromised connections on both ends of each battery terminal. Don't forget that main fuse holder in the same area as the alternator wires and the solenoid. Those things don't age very gracefully either. Most people replace them by now. I've had three of those go up in a puff of smoke while riding. The bike is absolutely dead in the water when that happens. Really not very much for a thirty year old machine.

brentsboats

Postby brentsboats » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Yes ,,i dont do puff.. I am on this issue as soon as friday ,,my last ride for the winter . I also have a 1982 gl1100 with the fairing and all that stuff that i picked up a few weeks ago for $100.00 . She has most of her parts and the speedo reads 17 k miles .But the bike sat under a tent for at least 15 years and most of the moving parts are stuck ,,I have not tried the motor yet , . I have not decided what i am going to do with her .Strip and sell for parts .or rebuild . I really dont need her ,My other 2 bikes are fine ,except for what we are talking about [wires.stator] .The gl1200 is first as far as any repairs are concerned ,Repaint,wires, and simple stuff ,more chrome , My other bike the gl1100 [mint] rides nice ,,but when i got on the 1200 i could not believe the difference ,and it took me a few miles to get used to the fairing and feeling closed in like that. But i am hooked.And i bought this bike for cheap money too. So time will tell what i decide to do with the parts bike , Any input ,ill listen too , Prices on all the bikes really stumps me sometimes , A few weeks ago i could have bought 3 1200s off craigs list for under a grand apiece. Then u look at some web sites that sell for over 3 gs each ,Book prices go up and down too ,depending witch one u look at . So tell me people ,what do u all think a good running and looking 1982 gl1100 with the fairing and the other with out are worth , both are 1982. and both have very low miles .
Attachments
my 82 naked with Jakes saddle 32 k miles
my 82 naked with Jakes saddle 32 k miles
Thanks For Reading
Brent

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 pm

I started with a 79. It was old but well stored, however the previous owner had a lot of lights and gizmos installed with Scotchlocks. The alternator connector was badly burned as was the alternator. My brother's 84 had it's alternator destroyed as well. I replaced them both. Soldered and insulated the wires. Put lots of highway miles on the 1000 for several years. Long distance, heavily loaded plus a trailer. Brother quit riding and gave me the 84. Had that one several years. Put a lot of miles on that until I broke down and got a more modern VTX 1800. Gave the 1200 to a friend who uses it now. The VTX's have the same problem with the alternator connector, and the fix ix the same. Generally ALL VTX's suffer from poor grounds. They all have to be cleaned and secured. I was having trouble with mine and didn't know about the ground fix. I found out and performed the fix and it corrected several nagging troubles I'd been having. I guess any machine exposed to weather needs periodic electrical maintenance and failure can occur gradually and go unnoticed.

brentsboats

Postby brentsboats » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:29 am

Iam going to pass this info on to my ex brother in law [phil bowie] He rides a vtx and lives in NorthCarolina ,new bern area , He was a owner of a nice wing ,but he did not like the way his feet hit the ground while on the wing ,So he bought the vtx a few years back and loves it ,He is aware of wings stator problems ,but has never said anything about the vtx ,To me it makes sense .. Phil is a writer and Private Pilot .As am i ,, i sold my plane a few years back [cessana 175 ] I had no business buying one ,, too expensive. If you read books ,and like truly good reading ,look him up ,, just google his name ,Phil Bowie ,, it will take you to alot of info about him and his series of books , He also sells them on amazon ,u can download them pretty cheap ,Check him out and thanks for the info . ..PS ,iam not a writer ,,

Thanks For Reading
Brent

Return to “Goldwing Chat”