led head light upgrade

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
fuzzydog
Motorcycle: 93 gl 1500 i 81 gl 1100, 79 kz1000 st 2000 gl 1500 se black on black

led head light upgrade

Postby fuzzydog » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:45 pm

I see they have led upgrade headlights are. They worth the time and money for 1500.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: led head light upgrade

Postby Fiberthree » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:32 pm

I'm still partial to the HID's. I work with a guy that has the LED headlight on his Fat Boy and it doesnt seem to put out as much as mine. Then again it is only a single compared to the Wing's double lamps.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I tried HID in my 83. In my case it meant putting an HID bulb into an H4 housing. Very bright but no proper light pattern so could not adjust to eliminate glare to oncoming traffic. Then during a trip through the mountains on a dark rainy night it failed. That was exciting but fortunately I had a driving light on the sidecar I was able to turn on before I went off the road.

I decided to give an LED replacement bulb a try also in the H4 housing. Brighter than the H4 but not quite as bright as the HID. I couldn't seem to get the adjustment quite where I wanted it but just discovered the reason. For the most part I never use high beam because there always seems to be traffic approaching. Last week I was installing an LED spot light on the sidecar and got playing around with all the lights on a dark night. Switched my headlight to high beam and discovered that although I was using the same three prong connector on the LED bulb as on the H4 the beams were switched. I'd been trying to adjust high beam for low! :roll: Now I have that sorted and the light finally adjusted properly it works much better. The low beam pattern cutoff is not quite as sharp as the H4 but good enough it does not bother anyone. The only issue I have is that the LED bulb is longer with a small fan on the back end. In my Vetter fairing it was touching at the back. I used a hole saw on the inside of the fairing and put a grease cap over the hole to clear the fan on the back of the bulb. I like it enough that I will be purchasing two more for my other bikes.

I see some of the newer LED replacements for newer vehicles come as a complete unit including housing that is designed for the bulb. Most of these seem equal to the HID's with a better pattern. Some of the newer bikes are stock with LED lights and they are real bright.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 pm

I have done both & am very happy with my final choice of HID. It really is a personal thing. I think there are plenty of riders on both sides of this and each is just as happy with there choice.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:26 pm

CMReynolds1 wrote:I have done both & am very happy with my final choice of HID. It really is a personal thing. I think there are plenty of riders on both sides of this and each is just as happy with there choice.

Right on. I will probably try HID again if I can ever get a complete light that will provide me with a sharper pattern for adjustment. I just get tired of oncoming traffic flipping their high beams at me.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”