Anti-Theft Alarm

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Anti-Theft Alarm

Postby Solina Dave » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Years ago, back in the late '70s I fitted an anti-theft alarm to my new '78 GL1000. It was called "The Stick" but I can't find any reference to it in a Google search. Maybe someone out there has heard of it and can comment. It was definitely old school.
It was, as I remember, a very simple concept, in that it would sound off if someone moved the motorcycle, and it would shut off, and re-arm, when the motorcycle was left alone. That was good for me, except that I didn't want someone to lift it upright, off the sidestand, and when the alarm went off, panic, and drop the motorcycle causing damage. So, to make a long story short, I wired it through a hidden pilot light, controlled by a mercury switch, that I'd attached to an old volume knob, and that way I could turn it to fine adjust the angle of the mercury switch so that the slightest disturbance to the motorcycle, sitting on it's sidestand, would make the alarm sound well before the thief had the motorcycle anywhere near being upright, and abort his attempt, leaving the motorcycle to settle back on the sidestand.
I've still got that motorcycle, but the alarm's gone now. I can't remember why I took it off. It worked very well. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy to install, not too expensive, but effective alarm system that might be available today? Something a little less primitive would be good! I always felt better, when staying in a motel somewhere, with the alarm set on my motorcycle, as it sat outside my room through the night. Although, today the thief would have the option of stealing my old Wing, or a brand new 2015 Goldwing, so maybe I needn't worry after all.

Happy riding...............Dave

Here's a shot of my motorcycle, one foggy morning last year, on the Blueridge Parkway. I wish I was there now!
Attachments

"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Anti-Theft Alarm

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 pm

It's interesting that not many Wing owners seem to have alarms on their bikes. I suppose it just means that they aren't stolen very often? Most bikes can be lifted by 3 or 4 guys into the back of a van and made off with, but you'd have a problem doing that with a Goldwing.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Quite true! I think maybe, having an alarm system with a hair trigger, is more a point of saying, "Keep your hands off my motorcycle!!!"
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:33 pm

I think one of the microwave type alarms would work best - the ones that "chirp" if you get too close, and go off if you move the bike. That way, you get the "hey get away from this bike" effect for people who are looking just a little TOO closely.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 pm

That sounds intriguing. I've never heard of that system. I'll have to hunt that down. Thank you.
"Assume Nothing"

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Solina Dave wrote:That sounds intriguing. I've never heard of that system. I'll have to hunt that down. Thank you.

They're nothing new - microwave alarms have been available for over 20 years:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm

I've got a simple motion detector on mine - got it from China - paid $10 for it. 2 remotes (4 years old and batteries are still good)
wired it up to my blinkers -so they flash when I set it "on" and "off". It has a separate 120DB horn alarm which cycles through a series of 5 different alarm sounds in about 30 seconds then resets. It can also be set up as an immobiliser to wire into the coil wiring - which if not turned off will immobilise the ignition as well.

I love it when the cat next door jumps on the bike from the side 6 foot fence - it jumps a lot higher after it lands on the bike, and it never seems to learn. But the little mongrel does it at midnight every night (so he might be smarter than I think).. :D

the alarm style was called a "Beret" - simple to wire in as well - if you understand/interpret "chinglish"..

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Not quite the same thing but I bought a pair of robust Master padlocks (keyed alike) and a length of bright green parachute type cord for mine and the wife's bikes. Tie one end of the cord to the padlock. Run the lock through the front brake disk and wrap the cord around the throttle as a reminder. Add the steering lock. Not 100% but add security cameras installed in most public places. I feel like it would stop 90% of the bike thieves.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks for those suggestions gentlemen. I had a dog like that!
"Assume Nothing"

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:27 am

Through and beyond this half century I've been on this planet I've seen many-many different anti-theft devises.
In all basics, if a human built it, a thief will thwart it.

The best anti-theft devise is? (it's an old-old phrase)
"Out of sight, out of mind", in other words "Invisible".

When I had my 1977 XS1100 I couldn't afford full coverage.
So to thwart a thief I sticky note this to my speedometer. (Thieves look for low miles)
REMINDER
Take bike to shop for possible rod knock.

But, if you park in the same place twice and the same thief re'sees that note, it's a goner.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 am

From a bit of research I did recently, no lock can withstand an attack by an electric grinder! The most difficult took about 4 minutes to defeat, so I am getting the message that an immobiliser, perhaps with a flashing light, is probably the safest - except of course, if the "would be new owner" people come equipped with a crane and flat bed truck. Perhaps a GPS locating device coupled with the immobiliser is one of the better options?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:54 am

redial wrote:From a bit of research I did recently, no lock can withstand an attack by an electric grinder! The most difficult took about 4 minutes to defeat, so I am getting the message that an immobilizer, perhaps with a flashing light, is probably the safest - except of course, if the "would be new owner" people come equipped with a crane and flat bed truck. Perhaps a GPS locating device coupled with the immobilizer is one of the better options?

What I've been reading, the hidden GPS device is becoming the "IN THING" for stolen items. Bad part is the internal battery lasts only so long. Also if the item is taken into a metal building or underground, said GPS device will be more difficult to locate.
Can't hook it up to the bikes battery, that's one o f the first things a smart thief will disconnect.
Also the "Radio Tags", you have to be within "X" amount of feet so that won't work.

I'm currently using battery operated "Driveway Alert" which is good for 400 ft. signal. My bikes in the garage so it won't have false signals unless a squirrel gets in. One nice thing, when you're out you can set it up (but narrow it's viewable beam with tape) and go anywhere and get an alert, if within that 400 ft range. Harbor Freight has these on sale once in a while for under $15.00. I bought 4 when they hit $12.99. Makes nice doorbells also, visitors have no button to push (or destroy).
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:14 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Solina Dave wrote:That sounds intriguing. I've never heard of that system. I'll have to hunt that down. Thank you.

They're nothing new - microwave alarms have been available for over 20 years:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ingdocs-20

Hmmm...microwaves! Cool idea...with enough juice, you'd find the thief, cooked, lying beside the bike! 'Course, I guess that wouldn't be acceptable to the bleeding-heart types... :shock: :lol:

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:48 pm

Mh434 wrote:Hmmm...microwaves! Cool idea...with enough juice, you'd find the thief, cooked, lying beside the bike! 'Course, I guess that wouldn't be acceptable to the bleeding-heart types... :shock: :lol:

Ya, them "Bleeding-Hearts" complain about the waste of electricity, the Ozone and the harmful affects to passing animals with misdirected microwaves.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:38 pm

Do they complain when they use their cell/mobile phone? I bet not!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm originally from Cape Town, RSA and am quite aware of all types of crude alarm systems. I know in Johannesburg, a guy invented a car alarm system of sorts, that would shoot a flame upwards from below the car, where two very stealthfully (is that a word, sounds good) placed propane tanks were sitting . The flamethrowers were of course placed in a safe proximity from the fuel tank. Probably would not work with a bike though, might send it to the heavens. I guess one could go to great lengths to make a similar type of alarm, which of course would turn most male thieves into women almost immediately. With that being said, the word illegal comes to mind and most sex change surgeons would throw a fit over this type of invention.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:39 am

made2care wrote:I'm originally from Cape Town, RSA and am quite aware of all types of crude alarm systems. I know in Johannesburg, a guy invented a car alarm system of sorts, that would shoot a flame upwards from below the car, where two very stealthfully (is that a word, sounds good) placed propane tanks were sitting . The flamethrowers were of course placed in a safe proximity from the fuel tank. Probably would not work with a bike though, might send it to the heavens. I guess one could go to great lengths to make a similar type of alarm, which of course would turn most male thieves into women almost immediately. With that being said, the word illegal comes to mind and most sex change surgeons would throw a fit over this type of invention.

The anti-carjacking devices in South Africa are beyond amazing. I remember reading about one that when activated by the driver, swiped a high-powered blade out from underneath the car, cutting the carjacker's legs off. Just brutal.

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Yep, unfortunately some regions in South Africa are prone to very high brutal crime. That's one of the reasons why my family migrated to the U.S. in the 80's. I was fortunate enough to grow up in Cape Town, where the violence was not quite the extreme as further North, but still bad in certain areas, hence the radical alarm systems all over the place.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:18 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
made2care wrote:I'm originally from Cape Town, RSA and am quite aware of all types of crude alarm systems. I know in Johannesburg, a guy invented a car alarm system of sorts, that would shoot a flame upwards from below the car, where two very stealthfully (is that a word, sounds good) placed propane tanks were sitting . The flamethrowers were of course placed in a safe proximity from the fuel tank. Probably would not work with a bike though, might send it to the heavens. I guess one could go to great lengths to make a similar type of alarm, which of course would turn most male thieves into women almost immediately. With that being said, the word illegal comes to mind and most sex change surgeons would throw a fit over this type of invention.

The anti-carjacking devices in South Africa are beyond amazing. I remember reading about one that when activated by the driver, swiped a high-powered blade out from underneath the car, cutting the carjacker's legs off. Just brutal.

I can imagine the call to the police now...

"Yes, is this the police? My car just got stolen!"

"Did you see who did it?"

"No, but I can tell you he wore size 8 boots, black jeans, white socks, runs funny, and is really, really short!" :o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Goldwing Chat”