Riding on ice

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Riding on ice

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:50 pm

This is a very poignant demonstration of the risks of riding in sub-zero temperatures. You'll see he encounters no more than about 15 feet of ice at 1:45, ending up in a high side.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Riding on ice

Postby redial » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:43 pm

A good reason not to ride in lousy cold conditions, that is why I save my riding for Oz :o
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:18 pm

I ride 24/7/365 and anytime it's near freezing I assume there's ice under all water.
If I have to go through water when it's near freezing, I'll ride absolutely straight up, even in curves.
It looks like this is where this rider made his mistake, assuming it was just water. wooOOPS.

Couple years ago I hit black ice on a curve similar to this video. I was doing about 50 mph at the time and (classic phrase) never seen it. Dog gone tree shadow flicker will partly blind you every time. The road I was riding on was 100% clear and dry before and all the way home, it was just that small section. ANYways, I didn't go down, I loosened my grip and "SLIGHTLY" throttled down. With the wider and flatter Austone on the rear, there was that much more grip than a rounded bike tire. I didn't go down, the bike actually straightened up, tho slowly.
Lucky me?... probably, but about a month later, same spot, same scenario. The second time I actually looked for that tell-tail sign of black ice, nope, just could not see it.
Why it was there? Had to be condensation freezing.
"Watch out where that condensation flows, don't let it eat you head to toes."
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 am

Like FM, I ride year 'round as long as the roads are dry. You have to assume anything dark is ice- not water-and any sparkles are frozen crystals even if the pavement looks dry. I also noticed that this rider was wearing his protective cold weather gear...NOT! Open fingered gloves, khaki pants and loafers just don't make it :shock: . An experienced cold weather rider would have eased off the throttle when approaching the water or ice. This rider was lucky to escape with only minor damage to him and his bike.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:43 am

Like you, one of the first things I noticed was the apparent lack of protective gear. No way I'd ride with loafers or fingerless gloves on in the summer, let alone when there's snow on the sides of the highway... he must have heated grips or the toughest hands of any man I've ever seen to wear those gloves in winter...

I was glad to see he didn't appear to be badly hurt after the wreck... I still cringe when I think about hitting that ice.

I rode to work this morning. It was 26 degrees when I left home. Tomorrow the weather-liar says it will be 15-16 degrees at the hour I plan to ride to work... and I have two known potential icey places on my way in, which I'll be swinging well wide of as I approach them... I'll also be wearing insulated high-top boots, leather insulated gloves and my armored riding pants and jacket... As long as snow isn't falling (hard) and there's no accumulation of snow and or ice on the roads, I'm going to continue to ride for as long as I'm able to do it... One thing I won't be doing any time soon is, I won't be wearing fingerless gloves and loafers anywhere for any reason...

minimac wrote:Like FM, I ride year 'round as long as the roads are dry. You have to assume anything dark is ice- not water-and any sparkles are frozen crystals even if the pavement looks dry. I also noticed that this rider was wearing his protective cold weather gear...NOT! Open fingered gloves, khaki pants and loafers just don't make it :shock: . An experienced cold weather rider would have eased off the throttle when approaching the water or ice. This rider was lucky to escape with only minor damage to him and his bike.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:48 am

minimac wrote:Like FM, I ride year 'round as long as the roads are dry. You have to assume anything dark is ice- not water-and any sparkles are frozen crystals even if the pavement looks dry. I also noticed that this rider was wearing his protective cold weather gear...NOT! Open fingered gloves, khaki pants and loafers just don't make it :shock: . An experienced cold weather rider would have eased off the throttle when approaching the water or ice. This rider was lucky to escape with only minor damage to him and his bike.

You want the absolute minimum amount of CF (coefficient of friction) between the tire and the road if you hit ice. The more friction being used up when you hit the ice, the more the tire is going to slide out from under you. If you are using considerable friction (i.e. in a turn or on the brakes) when you hit the ice, the wheel will slide instantly, and you'll be kissing the pavement in short order.

The best thing to do is to straighten up, stay perfectly upright, pull the clutch in, stay off the brakes, and coast through it as straight and smoothly as possible. Slowing down is actually not the best thing to do, as this means you'll be on the ice for a longer time, which gives your tires a longer amount of time to diverge from their straight line.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:42 pm

I had to look at the video again to see where and/or when it could have been avoided.
Rider didn't seem to slow down when seeing the curve had a hidden horizon.

Hind-site is of coarse, 20/20.
Just offering some education to those who might not know.
Attachments
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:56 am

Where is a good place to buy riding gear with out breaking the bank /After watching this vid ..I am all in on clothes that protect . Brent
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 am

This rider would have been "luckier" if there had been another 10 feet of ice. That way the bike would have completed a low side rather than a high side. :? If he was wearing the right equipment, a low side is way better than his high side. Having neither is best. :D
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:31 am

brentsboats wrote:Where is a good place to buy riding gear with out breaking the bank /After watching this vid ..I am all in on clothes that protect . Brent

It really depends on what you want, and how much you're willing to pay. If you are looking for budget gear that isn't terrible, Cycle Gear (and their in-house "Bilt" brand) will give you decent protection. I actually like (and wear) a set of their Bilt Scirocco boots. From what I hear, Bilt gloves are junk, but I have no direct knowledge or experience.

If you're looking for a step up in quality (and obviously in price) I like Revzilla - I buy almost all my gear from them. They have everything from cheaper stuff to very expensive gear, their web site is great, and their customer service/return policy is beyond excellent.

My advice is to not skimp on either jacket or gloves - you don't have to break the bank, but if you skimp on either of these items, both of which are very directly responsible for your comfort while riding, you will end up being miserable.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:00 pm

I also ride all year round, but if I want to take my bike out in sub zero weather, I always check the weather the day or a few days before I ride to see if the weather calls for rain or frost, and if it does, I keep the bike in the garage. I went down once back in '82 from riding in the rain and hydroplaning coming thru a curve on the interstate on a cold November day, so that taught me a lesson. even though I had 3 layers of clothing and a full body rain suite, I still had road rash on my right leg, hip and arm from hitting the pavement and sliding on it and a broken clavicle.

I feel sorry for the guy, but that could have been avoided had he taken the time to survey the road sooner, slowed down and steered away from the pool of water/ice on his side of the road, and since there was nothing coming in the other direction, he could have moved just over the line in the other lane for a few feet. that would have saved him a lot of pain and damage to what looks like a brand new bike. I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but that's what I would have done if it was me. if your riding in 30* or sub zero weather, always expect the water on the roadway to be frozen. your best bet, leave the bike in the garage where it and you will be safe. I had a chance to take my bike on a 275 mile ride yesterday, but im glad i changed my mind. by the time I got half way to where I was going with the wife's car it started to snow and the temps were down in the teens. btw, for you year round riders, I just bought something that makes riding in the rain so much safer........a motorized motorcycle windshield wiper. its fantastic and it works great. best safety feature I ever bought other than new brakes, rotors and tires. also, if you look in the classified section, you'll see i have some parts for sale that will fit on any '80-'83 g/w just in case your interested.

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”