Too fast for conditions

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Too fast for conditions

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:28 am

It's not just people on bikes who ride too fast for conditions.

150 car pileup in Michigan last Thursday:

(I hate people who hold their phones sideways when taking video)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Too fast for conditions

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:02 am

It may not be the same video, but the local news (here) showed that crash a few times thins weekend. As a Yankee, transplant to the warmer climate South of the "Mason-Dixon" I can attest that foul winter weather survival definitely requires a larger cushion between a car (me/you) and the guy or gal in front of you. Following too closely is always a bad idea, but when the road surface is slick it can be a death sentence. When I was younger and drove in crap crap weather, I'd prefer taking the ditch to hitting someone else. It's hard to kill someone (well, maybe myself I guess) if you don't hit them... and it makes it a lot easier to avoid a crash if you give everyone else more room.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:18 am

I was driving home on some twisty, hilly countryside roads last night around 9:00 pm, on about an inch of fresh snow - and it was still falling heavily. It was extremely slippery, so while the road had a speed limit of 45 mph, I was doing about 30, which was what I was estimating was the maximum safe speed. (And that's a lifetime of driving in Canadian snowy roads doing that estimating).

Meanwhile, the three cars behind me were not satisfied with my speed. I had one guy about 6 feet behind me riding my bumper, someone behind him riding his bumper, and another car behind that car who made several attempts to pass all of us - in the dark, on a twisty, snow-covered road with blind hills and corners. Unbelievable.

I pulled over into a driveway and let them all pass me by. I have no need to be part of that kind of nonsense.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:22 pm

It never fails that there will be one (or more) who feel they're impervious to the road conditions... several decades ago, while driving across Ohio, the Interstate (90 I think it was) was completely iced over for several miles. All I could manage was 30 MPH and I felt I was pushing it at that speed. It was dark out, and I recall an 18-wheeler that passed me like I was sitting still. I also recall wondering if with all that weight, he could actually be getting traction that wasn't available to me in my car... it wasn't very long before I saw his trailer lights listing to the left and then vanishing in a cloud of snow... as I puttered along, I saw the tracks as they veered into the median, and then saw the entire tractor and trailer "resting" its left side, with the driver climbing out of the passenger side door. I kept driving.

There have been many times that I've seen the exact same situation you described play out with me in one of the positions in traffic within the group. I'm more inclined to back off than to press the guy in front of me, even if I feel I can drive faster than the slowest mover in the pack. There's no point to add stress on top of what the slower driver already is experiencing by tailgating. I believe you did the exact right thing for you at the time... let those in so much of a hurry that they disregard their personal safety get ahead of you... You can always cll for emergency responders if they crash. I figure if they want to be in front of me so badly, I'll let 'em go.
WingAdmin wrote:I was driving home on some twisty, hilly countryside roads last night around 9:00 pm, on about an inch of fresh snow - and it was still falling heavily. It was extremely slippery, so while the road had a speed limit of 45 mph, I was doing about 30, which was what I was estimating was the maximum safe speed. (And that's a lifetime of driving in Canadian snowy roads doing that estimating).

Meanwhile, the three cars behind me were not satisfied with my speed. I had one guy about 6 feet behind me riding my bumper, someone behind him riding his bumper, and another car behind that car who made several attempts to pass all of us - in the dark, on a twisty, snow-covered road with blind hills and corners. Unbelievable.

I pulled over into a driveway and let them all pass me by. I have no need to be part of that kind of nonsense.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

moneypit
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby moneypit » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 pm

up here in mi we don't let a little white out and ice slow things down plus there's 150 vehicles in need of a body shop ..

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:12 pm

I think back on some of the really stupid things I've done in a car when I was younger and I'll be the first to admit that statistically speaking, I should have not lived this long. Add to that the motorcycle wrecks and all the years of drunken motorcycle riding and I guess I'm a walking miracle.

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:28 pm

tom84std wrote:I think back on some of the really stupid things I've done in a car when I was younger and I'll be the first to admit that statistically speaking, I should have not lived this long. Add to that the motorcycle wrecks and all the years of drunken motorcycle riding and I guess I'm a walking miracle.

Yep!! I share the same angel with you.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:32 am

On a 4 lane road here in KCK people will get up behind you and ride your bumper enough in the slow lane when they can simply go around you.... Absolutely unreal... It's as though they want you to get out of their way in the slow lane... :shock: Happens all the time... The funny thing is I usually go 5 mph over the speed limit....When they do this it makes me like :evil: .... I usually piss them off by slowing down a lot then they are forced to go around... :lol: You did the safe thing and that's slowing down in the bad conditions... Everyone seems to be late for nothing... :D

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It's 150 car pileup in Michigan last Thursday:

I wonder how many of the 150 were attentive careful drivers who managed to stop in plenty of time, only to be hit by some ****.
Lucky not to get caught up in that lot.

WingAdmin wrote:(I hate people who hold their phones sideways when taking video)

I love it when people go for a landscape shot by holding the camera sideways.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”