motorcycle windshield wiper

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

motorcycle windshield wiper

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:20 pm

hey guys, heres a little item that anyone with a windshield on their bikes should have especially if you like to ride all year round and especially if you get caught in the rain...........a motorized motorcycle windshield wiper. this thing is GREAT. what a difference it makes when your riding in the rain. you can actually see where your going. and at night, its wonderful. no glare from the overhead street lights from the rain on your windshield or from oncoming cars. this is one of the best investments ive purchased for my bike since ive been riding with the exception of new brake pads rotors and tires.

attached to this post is a couple of photos of the wiper installed on my very tall oversized wrap around windshield.

stuart.
Attachments

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: motorcycle windshield wiper

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm

That is definitely different.

Never seen one on a motorcycle before.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:00 pm

neither have I. I was just looking around on eBay and typed into the search box, "motorcycle windshield wiper" and it came up. it aint cheap, but worth every penny to me because I ride all year round, and getting caught in the rain is a nightmare especially out on the interstate highways which is where I do a lot of my riding. its great to be able to see where your going in the rain day or night. I feel so much safer with this on my bike and I don't have to hope and pray there's an overpass close by to duck under and sit there for god knows how long and wait for the rain to let up or stop so I can continue my ride. I just turn it on and I can keep going.

stuart.

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:52 pm

Very cool....anyone else have one? Do you have a link to the site?

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:59 pm

I see the upper cluster is missing on your Aspy. Did u have to remove it to have the wiper installed?

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Mspinner wrote:Very cool....anyone else have one? Do you have a link to the site?

Found it. Yes...kinda pricy

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 pm

Mspinner.......no, the reason I removed the volt meter cluster was so I could install the 6 X 9 car speakers on it. as for the price of the wiper, yes, it was a bit pricey, but well worth it.

let me ask you this......what's it worth to be able to see where your going in the rain......your life?, well, the $200.00 I spent on it was worth every penny. the installation was fairly easy and the directions are very straight forward. only thing I had a problem with was having to drill thru my $140.00 windshield. I really didn't want to do it, but it was easer than I expected. one word of caution, take your time, don't force the drill bit, let the drill do the work and you can install this in about an hour. the best way I found with the wiring was going between the upper triple tree, then taking the false tank off and running the wires under it and snaking them thru the frame down to the battery (+) and (-) terminals. one other thing, this unit doesn't come with a toggle switch, or a handlebar control switch. you have to reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. im working on something that will improve on that. once I do that and test it to make sure it works properly, if anyone else gets one, I'll post what I did so everyone else can do it too.

oh, and one more thing, tell him you want the "HEAVY DUTY" wiper arm, the standard arm is very weak and "flimsy" especially if you have a large windshield like mine. he sent me the standard wiper arm and it didn't work because I needed to extend the arm almost all the way out,(approx. 10") so it twisted every time the wiper went across the windshield and broke apart. I was lucky I was able to stop it before it scratched my windshield, so I called him and told him about it and he sent me the heavy duty arm as a "free replacement" arm. with the heavy duty arm, I only extended it out about 3 inches, so its perfect. its heaver, stiffer, and bolts on just a little differently.

people, the direct link to this wiper is.....http//:www.roaddogwiper.com tell "Greg" that stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2 referred you to him. and no, I don't get a "finders fee" for any referrals lol.

stuart.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:13 pm

I think a wiper is certainly worth considering. However, how does it go on a dusty screen? Does it leave "wipe marks"/scratches on the screen from residual dust/bug guts/tree sap and similar items to mar the work of the wiper? It should work well on a clean screen though.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:Mspinner.......no, the reason I removed the volt meter cluster was so I could install the 6 X 9 car speakers on it. as for the price of the wiper, yes, it was a bit pricey, but well worth it.

let me ask you this......what's it worth to be able to see where your going in the rain......your life?, well, the $200.00 I spent on it was worth every penny. the installation was fairly easy and the directions are very straight forward. only thing I had a problem with was having to drill thru my $140.00 windshield. I really didn't want to do it, but it was easer than I expected. one word of caution, take your time, don't force the drill bit, let the drill do the work and you can install this in about an hour. the best way I found with the wiring was going between the upper triple tree, then taking the false tank off and running the wires under it and snaking them thru the frame down to the battery (+) and (-) terminals. one other thing, this unit doesn't come with a toggle switch, or a handlebar control switch. you have to reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. im working on something that will improve on that. once I do that and test it to make sure it works properly, if anyone else gets one, I'll post what I did so everyone else can do it too.

oh, and one more thing, tell him you want the "HEAVY DUTY" wiper arm, the standard arm is very weak and "flimsy" especially if you have a large windshield like mine. he sent me the standard wiper arm and it didn't work because I needed to extend the arm almost all the way out,(approx. 10") so it twisted every time the wiper went across the windshield and broke apart. I was lucky I was able to stop it before it scratched my windshield, so I called him and told him about it and he sent me the heavy duty arm as a "free replacement" arm. with the heavy duty arm, I only extended it out about 3 inches, so its perfect. its heaver, stiffer, and bolts on just a little differently.

people, the direct link to this wiper is.....http//:www.roaddogwiper.com tell "Greg" that stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2 referred you to him. and no, I don't get a "finders fee" for any referrals lol.

stuart.

Yes, I'm sure it is worth the money. I wonder if the motor for it wold be in the way of my cluster. A switch should be easy to install for this. I to wonder how easy it would be to scratch the windshield. Dirt and grime. Hell...hook up a washer and there ya go! :)

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:03 pm

hey redial, how ya been, long time no hear from........well, so far I haven't run into those problems. I use a spray foam windshield cleaner/polisher that I buy directly from my local Honda dealer. as im sure your aware, you cant use regular car windshield washer fluid on these plastic windshields.

the kit comes with 2 templates, one for the arm,(its exactly the same size as the motor), that you scotch tape on the outside of the windshield, and the other is a template of the motor itself that you tape to the inside of the windshield. as you can see in the photos, its a very small compact design and what makes it even better is when you shut it off, the wiper arm has a preset stop that keeps it at a 45* angle on the right side of the windshield so its not in your "line-of-sight" when its not on.

it says on the instructions that if you don't want the wiper arm attached while its not raining, you can remove it. yes, but that's with the "standard duty" arm. it has a "set screw" that you unscrew to remove the entire arm off the motor, but with the heavy duty arm, your best just leaving it attached. its not gonna hurt anything by keeping it attached to the motor. as for bugs, tree sap and dust, well, like I said before, I haven't had that problem yet. I keep the can of cleaner and a washcloth in my trunk, and before I go out riding, I always clean the windshield before I start my ride. in the event that I DO get bugs or other "stuff" on the windshield, I stop (eventually) and clean it again. as for wipe marks across the screen, I haven't had any so far and I've used this quite a few times already with the rain we've been having here.

I still have both templates, what I'll do tomorrow is try to remove the arm and tape it onto the windshield so you'll get an idea of where the part actually sits. if you go onto their website, you can view photos of this unit on different bikes and windshields. it even has videos of the wiper in motion. I did it exactly how it says to do in the instructions, I taped the arm side template onto the windshield which has the 2 mounting holes marked for easy drilling, and while I was sitting on the bike and used that to figure the best spot to install it keeping it out of my "line-of-sight". just remember, if you do have clusters there, you might want to install it a tad higher so that when you turn your steering, it wont interfere with them if your clusters turn with your handlebars, but its still so small that you shouldn't have any problems. once you get used to it being there, you wont even notice it because it sits so low you'll be looking above it. better yet, I'll have my wife take a pic of me sitting on the bike so you can see just how it sits and how I can see over it. if you set the arm at the right height, you wont have any problems seeing past it. im still going to work on putting some kind of inline toggle interrupter switch and mount it somewhere in close reach, im thinking on the lower left side of the fairing where I already have my volt meter and rear bumper light toggle switch installed, because the way it is now, you have to reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off and im really not comfortable with that.

I have a message to the seller if there's a handlebar or toggle switch available for it. so far I haven't heard back from him yet. if there isn't, im going to get one and put it on it.

ok, enough for one night, im getting sleepy, im logging off and i'll check this posting in the morning.

niters guys..........CLICK.

stuart.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:27 am

After checking out that website and looking at the few videos of it in operation - I'm not sure if I would use one (personal opinion only), not sure of the wiper action getting to be a distraction or not..

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:30 am

good morning guys:

aussie81, I thought the same thing when I first put it on my bike. when I first started using it, I found myself watching it go across the windshield just to see how it was working and to make sure it didn't scratch the windshield, but after a while it was just like being in my car, I started looking thru the windshield and the wiper seemed to blend into it. after a while when its on, you stop looking at IT and just keep your mind on the road and your driving, same way you do when your in a car. trust me, you will get used to it being there. after the first hour or so its like any other normal operation of a vehicle. believe me, if you get one and see the difference it makes, you'll be glad you did. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER IT WITH THE "HEAVY DUTY WIPER ARM"! ! ! (like you, this is my personal opinion). best $200 bucks I've spent on this bike so far. not only is it cool and unique, it gets a LOT of attention. everywhere I go and park, people are always coming up to me and asking me about it just because they've never seen a motorcycle with a windshield wiper on it. its a great safety feature, (again, my personal opinion).

it would be nice if the motorcycle manufactures made this a "mandatory safety item" for every sport/touring bike that has a windshield. as for crotch rockets, I don't think this would work as their windshields are very short and low slung. I mean what the hell, they have air bags on the Goldwing's now, why not a motorized windshield wiper?

also, I do not recommend using it on a dry windshield, it makes the arm jump a little. if your going to check it the first time you try it, make sure you have a spray bottle with some water in it so you can spray the windshield to make it run easer. keep the windshield wet because this wiper gets the water off with the first pass across it. if it doesn't, you might have to "gently" bend the arm making the blade sit firmer against the windshield. like anything else, sometimes "adjustments" are necessary. also, don't stand on the side of the windshield when your checking it cause your gonna get wet lol. stand in front of the bike as your using the spray bottle. ask me how I know this.

I'll tell ya, I wish I had this when I was in and riding home from Florida last summer. coming thru the mountains of SC on the way home, in pitch darkness in a driving thunderstorm I couldn't see where I was going, and even at 20mph, I almost ran off the road a few times because the rain was coming down so hard, I could not see past my helmet visor. thank GOD I rode up to a truck convoy going thru and I slipped inbetween 2 big rigs and followed its tail lights to keep myself on the road instead of the guard rails. I couldn't see the road lines, reflectors or anything because there's no overhead lights coming thru the mountain. at one point I had to stop under an overpass and I sat there for about 2 hours before I started riding again, that's how hard the rain was coming down. scared the living hell outta me. if I had this wiper on the bike back then, I would have been able to keep going no matter how hard it was raining. even if your using it to clear a slight mist off your windshield, it works great. like I said in my last posting, the only thing I DONT like about it right now is I have to reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. im still working on that. im going to try to hook up an interrupter toggle switch that I can mount on the lower left side of the fairing where I already have my new volt meter and my toggle switch for my rear bumper lights, oh, and I also put a toggle switch there for my front fender light which now works. the PO cut the wires from it and never connected them back up, so I did and it looks cool 8-)

stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 am

The problem with wipers on bikes is that unlike cars, our windshields are quite soft acrylic, and easily scratched by dirt or dust being dragged across by the wiper. If using a wiper, I'd want a coated windshield like an F4, that has half a chance of staying intact without scratching.

Personally, I use chemical coatings on my windshield that seal the pores, so that rainwater just runs off: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6924

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am

hey there wingadmin. you mean there's a "rainX" for motorcycle windshields?

how slow or fast do you have to be going for the water to start running off your windshield. mine don't start doing that until im doing better than 45mph. what I DO hate is when the water comes over the top of the windshield and runs down the inside creating a misleading unclear affect on the inside of the windshield.

im gonna take a look at that link you posted and I'll get back to you about it.

stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:50 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey there wingadmin. you mean there's a "rainX" for motorcycle windshields?

how slow or fast do you have to be going for the water to start running off your windshield. mine don't start doing that until im doing better than 45mph. what I DO hate is when the water comes over the top of the windshield and runs down the inside creating a misleading unclear affect on the inside of the windshield.

im gonna take a look at that link you posted and I'll get back to you about it.

stuart.

Yup, that link is to the review I did of it. It runs off fairly well at decently low speeds - even at a stop, it tends to roll off quite well. More importantly, the "sheeting" action caused by the water sticking to the windshield is gone, so the drops are kept to tiny little balls of water, meaning what IS on the windshield does not obscure your vision much.

I actually treat both the outside AND the inside for precisely the reason you state: the water that runs up over the top and down the inside. Having it on the inside as well helps it roll right down instead of sticking and obscuring the view. I may try a piece of weatherstrip across the top this year to try to stop that from happening.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:06 pm

yes wingadmin, I have seen this item posted in here before. what im going to do is send the manufacture an email requesting a free sample and try it out. I also have the large slipstream wrap around windshield on my bike as well, but from what I see, and this is just my personal opinion, using that "rain-coat" seems like a lot of work. I mean you have to squeeze it out of the package, apply it to the windshield using a moist applicator, wait till it dries, then buff it off to get the finished results. the windshield cleaner/polisher spray I use, all I have to do is spray it onto the windshield, wipe it all over the windshield, then just buff it out and its done. same as using a bottle of Windex only this is make specifically for acrylic motorcycle windshields and the water does bead off, maybe not as good as the rain-coat does, but it works well. any reputable Honda motorcycle dealership carries it and its under $10 bucks a can and I can get 20-30 cleanings out of it.

its also good for polishing the plastics and chrome anywhere on the bike. wipe it on and buff it off. NOT recommended for seats or handle grips, (ask me how I know this too lol)

I will reserve the rest of my opinions about this "rain-coat" product until I get it and use it.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:12 pm

I like the idea of it being able to get rid of the rain water from the inside of the windshield. I wish I had a video camera so I could take moving pics of my wiper while its in motion. im not sure if putting a "drip rail" on the top of the windshield is going to work. the rain will still come over the top and down the inside of the windshield. I had one on my silverwing and on the windshield I replaced on this bike, and it didn't make any difference. the rain water STILL came down the inside of the windshield. what I DID find that I was constantly straining to look over the top or crouching my head down to look under the top of the windshield because the drip rail was blocking my "line-of-sight", so I just took it off.

stuart.
Last edited by roadwanderer2 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:yes wingadmin, I have seen this item posted in here before. what im going to do is send the manufacture an email requesting a free sample and try it out. I also have the large slipstream wrap around windshield on my bike as well, but from what I see, and this is just my personal opinion, using that "rain-coat" seems like a lot of work. I mean you have to squeeze it out of the package, apply it to the windshield using a moist applicator, wait till it dries, then buff it off to get the finished results. the windshield cleaner/polisher spray I use, all I have to do is spray it onto the windshield, wipe it all over the windshield, then just buff it out and its done. same as using a bottle of Windex only this is make specifically for acrylic motorcycle windshields and the water does bead off, maybe not as good as the rain-coat does, but it works well. any reputable Honda motorcycle dealership carries it and its under $10 bucks a can and I can get 20-30 cleanings out of it.

its also good for polishing the plastics and chrome anywhere on the bike. wipe it on and buff it off. NOT recommended for seats or handle grips, (ask me how I know this too lol)

I will reserve the rest of my opinions about this "rain-coat" product until I get it and use it.

stuart.

If you read farther down in the review, you'll see that they now have a spray bottle version of the product, so you don't have to deal with the little packets and squeezing it out. You just shake up the spray bottle, spray it on, wipe it around, then buff it off.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 pm

I did see that, and im going to ask for that spray bottle and try it out. if it works as good as you say it does, I'll definitely recommend it to my other m/c buddies.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:03 pm

hey wingadmin, how did you get your products? im on the companies website and it says "samples are for industrial applications only". they want a company name, how many employees, company email address, etc etc. from what I see, an individual person cant get a sample of this stuff, and a sample of the spray bottle cant be had either. I took a look at their prices, and for only a 4oz spray bottle for $15.00 is a little much don't ya think? I would go thru that bottle in a week with all the riding I do. the cleaner/polisher I buy lasts me a month or more depending on how much of it I need to use. im sorry, but for all the riding I do, I cant justify spending that much on products that don't last more than 3-5 days at a time. the only thing I CAN see is getting the bottle of anti-fog with its 40 application uses "depending on conditions" as it states in its product ad. now that "raincoat pro" sounds pretty good. THAT for $20.00 seems to be a product that might last me a while. see, I ride almost every single day so I need something that will last for a while, but im willing to try this stuff out if I can get some of it.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm

(quote) Mspinner) Hell...hook up a washer and there ya go! :)

hey Mspinner, don't think I haven't thought of that before lol. I wonder if there's a way to install the washer pump motor inside the fairing, then run the water jet tube to the outside and aim it at the windshield from the bottom up or from the top down, that might just work. :geek: hmmmm, let me ponder that for a while. who knows, I might be able to make one that actually works, but then, where would you stow the water reservoir and the pump motor :?: ..... oh, wait, :idea: I know, remove the fairing pockets and install the pump on one side and the water reservoir on the other side. INGENIOUS :P

:x now don't anybody get any ideas about it, this is MY design LOL. im seriously going to give this idea some thought. where there's a will, there's a way, and I bet I can get it to work.

stuart.

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:20 pm

I'm going to install a small ledge on the forward side of my fairing just above the headlamp. I'll buy a small monkey with a wiping cloth and train him to.... Can you tell it's been cold a long time?

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:56 pm

hey Tom84.....ha ha, very funny ROFLMAO. listen, I just got back from my local parts store and guess what, they had a very tiny washer pump motor that's small enough to fit inside one of the fairing pockets. I now have all the parts I need to make a working motorcycle windshield washer. below are the parts im using. don't laugh guys, I spent almost 2 hours at the parts store with the store manager figuring all this out as to what parts I need. this WILL work. parts cost so far for this "project" with my military discount is under $50.00. and if it don't work, I can return everything except for the plastic bottle.

ok, here are photos of the parts I bought. I am going to empty the bottle of chrome polish making sure its perfectly clean and free of any abrasive liquid, drill a hole thru the bottom, and with the rubber grommet supplied with the washer pump motor, so I can install the washer pump to the bottom of the bottle. 2nd to the last photo is what the bottle and the pump will look like once they are attached to each other. this unit will be small enough to put in the left side fairing once I remove the pocket. If this works, I don't mind loosing the storage space. hell, I got plenty of other places for storage and since I don't have the stock Honda radio in the left side, its only empty space anyways.

first thing to do is hook up the inline fuse to the pump, then cut the hole out of the bottom of the bottle so I can grommet the pump motor into and seal it so it wont leak any water. this way I can open the top of the bottle to add water when it gets empty. then run the electrical wires thru the small hole where all the other wires lead out from, install the fusible link with a 20 amp fuse, run the wires thru the frame and down to the positive and negative posts of the battery. then run wires to the on-off toggle switch that I will be mounting on the right side of the fairing where I have my other 2 toggle switches the run my bumper lights and my front fender light. remove the left inner fairing pocket and slip the pump AND bottle down inside, then run the tubing thru the fairing where the stock cigarette light is and up the very top edge of the windshield so when I attach the plastic tube angles, it will direct the water spray straight down the center of the windshield so it will be washed off with the wiper blade from both directions.

so, that's where I am at the moment. im headed out to my garage to start putting all this together. wish me luck.

stuart.
Attachments

Mspinner

Postby Mspinner » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:23 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey Tom84.....ha ha, very funny ROFLMAO. listen, I just got back from my local parts store and guess what, they had a very tiny washer pump motor that's small enough to fit inside one of the fairing pockets. I now have all the parts I need to make a working motorcycle windshield washer. below are the parts im using. don't laugh guys, I spent almost 2 hours at the parts store with the store manager figuring all this out as to what parts I need. this WILL work. parts cost so far for this "project" with my military discount is under $50.00. and if it don't work, I can return everything except for the plastic bottle.

ok, here are photos of the parts I bought. I am going to empty the bottle of chrome polish making sure its perfectly clean and free of any abrasive liquid, drill a hole thru the bottom, and with the rubber grommet supplied with the washer pump motor, so I can install the washer pump to the bottom of the bottle. 2nd to the last photo is what the bottle and the pump will look like once they are attached to each other. this unit will be small enough to put in the left side fairing once I remove the pocket. If this works, I don't mind loosing the storage space. hell, I got plenty of other places for storage and since I don't have the stock Honda radio in the left side, its only empty space anyways.

first thing to do is hook up the inline fuse to the pump, then cut the hole out of the bottom of the bottle so I can grommet the pump motor into and seal it so it wont leak any water. this way I can open the top of the bottle to add water when it gets empty. then run the electrical wires thru the small hole where all the other wires lead out from, install the fusible link with a 20 amp fuse, run the wires thru the frame and down to the positive and negative posts of the battery. then run wires to the on-off toggle switch that I will be mounting on the right side of the fairing where I have my other 2 toggle switches the run my bumper lights and my front fender light. remove the left inner fairing pocket and slip the pump AND bottle down inside, then run the tubing thru the fairing where the stock cigarette light is and up the very top edge of the windshield so when I attach the plastic tube angles, it will direct the water spray straight down the center of the windshield so it will be washed off with the wiper blade from both directions.

so, that's where I am at the moment. im headed out to my garage to start putting all this together. wish me luck.

stuart.

You would almost need something like that to help prolonge the ware on the windshield. That's inevitable . There will be scratches. There will be a time when you have to replace the shield because of the wiper. Or live with the scratches. There is a product called Flitz that polishes plastic very well. I use it on the lensess of my car. I'm sure would work on the windshield

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:27 pm

ok guys, im back. I had to stop for the day. I have the bottle and pump, (pic 1) sealing themselves together with liquid tape and by tomorrow morning they should be sealed so I can put them into the pocket permanently.

as for the wiper scratching the windshield, although the wiper arm is very firm and holds the wiper to the windshield nice and tight, the blade is a soft compound and it sorta glides across the windshield without digging into it.

I temporarily ran the wires to the motor via the battery and the toggle switch, and it DOES work. the only thing I need to do now is find some way to attach the rubber hose, (pic 2) to the top edge of the windshield without having to drill thru it to install clips, (like the ones used to hold phone wires onto house baseboards that you hammer into the wood, you know the little plastic ones with a nail on one end to hold the hose in place). I would hate to have to drill about 6-8 holes in the windshield to do that. then find something to make the water spray across the entire windshield instead of one steady stream straight down the center.

I thought about using one that's the same as the ones you find on car hoods, but I would have to turn it upside down and that would direct the spray away from the windshield. cant have it spraying up from the bottom because this little pump motor is so strong, it might make the water spray up OVER the windshield and right into my face lol. maybe some kind of a water deflector might work. something to make the water spray ONTO the windshield instead of OVER it, but it cant be anything that will interfere with the drivers "line-of-sight"

here is a couple of pics of what I've done so far. I know the pics are a bit dark, that's because I don't have the proper lighting in my garage for taking photos. when I open the door and put the bike outside, I'll retake the photos. the pump and bottle are sitting down inside the left fairing, (pic 3) with the actual pocket removed. to cover it, im going to cut the inside of the plastic pocket off so I can still use the leather snap cover to cover the pump and bottle. well, that's where I am with this at the moment. I'll keep yawl posted.

stuart.
Attachments

Return to “Goldwing Chat”