motorcycle windshield wiper

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: motorcycle windshield wiper

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:16 am

rachester67 wrote:Its funny the biggest problem I have in the rain is the rain coming over the windscreen and down the inside of my Tulsa extra tall. Keep a micro fiber towel in the left pocket pull it out wipe the water off and stuff is between the dash and windshield to keep it handy. Try my best to not ride in the rain. Quit listening to the weather forecast a long time ago just open the garage door check to see if anything is falling and go. Left bike in the garage to many times because of 50% chance of rain and never saw a drop. Mainly because where I am the weather folks cover 114 counties so 50% is 57 counties and I just live and work in one of them. Merry Christmas to all!!!
Yup, I have this problem too. No matter how fast you're riding, instead of the rain getting to the top and being blown away, it flips around the top and then drips down the back side. I've seen where people have mounted clear weatherstripping along the top, so that the rain gets pushed up and around it, and is then blown away instead of dripping down the back side - I've yet to try this, however.

rachester67
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by rachester67 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:29 am

I have thought of trying something like that but really don't get into enough situations for it to be a big problem. Like I said I try not to ride in the rain but if I run into it I will either stop for a long lunch or dinner or just get my micro fiber out of the front pocket and keep riding. :ugeek:

alwims
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by alwims » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 am

WingAdmin wrote:
rachester67 wrote:Its funny the biggest problem I have in the rain is the rain coming over the windscreen and down the inside of my Tulsa extra tall. Keep a micro fiber towel in the left pocket pull it out wipe the water off and stuff is between the dash and windshield to keep it handy. Try my best to not ride in the rain. Quit listening to the weather forecast a long time ago just open the garage door check to see if anything is falling and go. Left bike in the garage to many times because of 50% chance of rain and never saw a drop. Mainly because where I am the weather folks cover 114 counties so 50% is 57 counties and I just live and work in one of them. Merry Christmas to all!!!
Yup, I have this problem too. No matter how fast you're riding, instead of the rain getting to the top and being blown away, it flips around the top and then drips down the back side. I've seen where people have mounted clear weatherstripping along the top, so that the rain gets pushed up and around it, and is then blown away instead of dripping down the back side - I've yet to try this, however.
Door edge trim is what I use and it does work to a point. After a resent trip where 350 miles of it were in the rain and because of some vandals in Tuscaloosa, Al. I had to ride without my wiper. Let me tell you, I was not a happy camper. I use the F4+4 windshield and it did a good job of shedding the rain, but I sure missed my wiper. If you ever ride with a wiper on a bike, you'll be hooked.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:29 pm

oh trust me, i loved my windshield wiper and miss it a LOT. when i get my 1200 back, im gonna buy another one and mount it on the windshield. nothing like having a windshield wiper on a motorcycle to make it a lot easier and safer for riding in the rain. its a pleasure to be able to see where your going without the need to be looking over a tall windshield.

stuart.

Biker346
Motorcycle: Gl1800 2010

Post by Biker346 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 pm

On my 2010 Wing I installed a wiper from West Marine. It worked very well. Now I miss it. I recently bought a tall scratch resistant windsheild and I am thinking of drilling a hole in it to add a wiper blade. The more I think the more I want.
The only problem I experienced with the 1998 Wing wiper was the wiper would scratch a regular factory windsheild without water but with water it was fine. Just FYI. West Marine sells everything need for this wiper application. I hope this helped with any info on installing a wiper. Measure twice drill once then Dremel to size of hole needed!