motorcycle windshield wiper

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solidbob
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 w/ 2012 Roadsmith Trike Kit

Re: motorcycle windshield wiper

Post by Solidbob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Looks good, see you found the door edge..... I just carry a spray bottle of water for bugs..... let them soak and wipe them off...... REJEX.... good stuff.

alwims
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Post by alwims » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:19 pm

Solidbob wrote:Looks good, see you found the door edge..... I just carry a spray bottle of water for bugs..... let them soak and wipe them off...... REJEX.... good stuff.
Yes I did. I had to go to 2 different stores before I found clear, but I did find some. How long have you been using REJEX. I ask because I'm a little leery about using something like that as I used something similar on my '87 Ranger bass boat that I spent 2 years and several thousand dollars restoring. I can't remember the name of it, but it had a guarantee to not turn yellow. Well it looked good for about a month then my very pretty Red Ranger started getting this GREEN hue to it and it ruined the gel-coat, but it didn't turn yellow. I called an attorney and he said we could try to recoup my loss, but it didn't look promising. I finally took a major loss and sold it.

Solidbob

Post by Solidbob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:28 pm

If you have an F4 windshield you can use any cleaners on it, if its not an F4 Brand windshield I am not sure as it depends on the brand and what the windshield is made out of.... Rejex is a great product, I even use it on my Boat Lexan Windshield / its specific purpose is for aircraft wing leading edges and Lexan Canopies and side curtains.

I thought you stated that windshield was and F4 Brand.... the PeerClear wiper works fine with the F4 but not other brands without getting some hazing from fine scratches. Just Google Rejex and read all about it, I use it twice a year / spring and late summer.....

alwims

Post by alwims » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm confused. What did I say that made you think I don't have an F4 windshield?

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:43 pm

very nicely done. i have the same wiper motor as you do. i also like where you mounted your washer bottle. since i don't have mine installed on my newer bike yet, i might think about putting my washer bottle in my trunk instead of in the left saddlebag. might make the bike a little more balanced. i did however take the wiper off of my 1100 and put it onto my 1200.

how do you like yours, i bet it makes you feel a lot more confident and safer riding in the rain now. i can't imagine having a bike without one. IMO, it should be mandatory on every bike over 500cc with a windshield to have one.

stuart.

alwims

Post by alwims » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:17 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:very nicely done. i have the same wiper motor as you do. i also like where you mounted your washer bottle. since i don't have mine installed on my newer bike yet, i might think about putting my washer bottle in my trunk instead of in the left saddlebag. might make the bike a little more balanced. i did however take the wiper off of my 1100 and put it onto my 1200.

how do you like yours, i bet it makes you feel a lot more confident and safer riding in the rain
now. i can't imagine having a bike without one. IMO, it should be mandatory on every bike over 500cc with a windshield to have one.

stuart.
I agree 100%. I just got it finished yesterday. It's supposed to rain here Wednesday and I can't wait. I sprayed a lot of water on it today and it seems to work perfect. The windshield sheds water real good when its raining hard but I'm hoping the wiper works when it's not raining hard or just misting. You were right about using plain water as even a 75/25 mix of water and windex makes a heck of a mess where the wiper doesn't touch.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: previously owned 83 GL1100A aspencade traded for a motorhome, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. now own-1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Post by roadwanderer2 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 pm

now see, the only thing i don't like about our wiper motors is that I, (and im sure you'll find it out too) is that in light rain or mist, we have to constantly take one of our hands off the handlebars while its raining and reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. i know the one with the "touch pad" is a lot more money,(and i didn't buy it either), but im working on an "interrupter switch" and run it from a toggle switch to the power wires of the motor so a switch can be mounted within reach somewhere near the tank cover or the lower fairing area.

i'll let ya know how it comes out.

stuart.

alwims

Post by alwims » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:41 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:now see, the only thing i don't like about our wiper motors is that I, (and im sure you'll find it out too) is that in light rain or mist, we have to constantly take one of our hands off the handlebars while its raining and reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. i know the one with the "touch pad" is a lot more money,(and i didn't buy it either), but im working on an "interrupter switch" and run it from a toggle switch to the power wires of the motor so a switch can be mounted within reach somewhere near the tank cover or the lower fairing area.

stuart.
Please do as I did think about that and also thought I could figure out something for a lot less than the extra $110 they wanted for it anddrill bits.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Post by RoadRogue » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:29 am

I really fail to see the use of a windshield wiper on a motorcycle. You should be looking over the windshield not through it. Have you ever had your windshield instantly fog up inside and out? I have. How are you going to see the road if you can't look over the top? To me this idea is about as useful as deer alerts. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:40 am

alwims wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:now see, the only thing i don't like about our wiper motors is that I, (and im sure you'll find it out too) is that in light rain or mist, we have to constantly take one of our hands off the handlebars while its raining and reach thru the handlebars to turn it on and off. i know the one with the "touch pad" is a lot more money,(and i didn't buy it either), but im working on an "interrupter switch" and run it from a toggle switch to the power wires of the motor so a switch can be mounted within reach somewhere near the tank cover or the lower fairing area.

stuart.
Please do as I did think about that and also thought I could figure out something for a lot less than the extra $110 they wanted for it and drill bits.
yes, thats a lot of money for 2 drill bits and that "touch pad" that they sell. the 2 drill bits i bought from lowe's, but i did make sure they were for acrylic plastic, i think they were about $6.00 for both of them. i'll let you know how my hand switch works out for it....

RoadRouge, have you ridden a motorcycle with one in the rain? trust me, if you do get the chance, you'll understand especially if you have a tall windshield that you have to look thru instead of over the top like some of us have to. as for fogging, yes i have and its much easier for the wiper to take care of the outside while im riding and using my hand with a cloth that i keep in my left fairing pocket to clear the inside of it.

stuart.

Solidbob

Post by Solidbob » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 am

alwims wrote:I'm confused. What did I say that made you think I don't have an F4 windshield?
I went back and re-read your Posts, Sorry..... when you were talking about the green Hued Bass Boat...guess I lost my way.....

alwims

Post by alwims » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:21 am

Fog on the inside? Wiping with a rag on the inside? I've ridden many thousands of miles behind an F4 Customs F4+4 shield on both my 1200 and my 1800, in all kinds of weather and temps and not once have I had to wipe the inside of my shield because it fogged up. I don't like looking over my shield even in rain, no especially in rain. Why have a windshield at all if I have to look over it for any reason? Remember this is My Humble Opinion. With the F4 Customs shield, I get to enjoy the open ride of a motorcycle with almost zero wind buffeting. If looking over your shield in the rain is your thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't belittle me or anyone else that wants to be a little more comfortable by looking thru our shields with a wiper moving the water away from our line of sight. It's worked in the Automotive Industry and in Japan on Goldwings for many years. I've come to the age where comfort has become a very major part of my life and a wiper on my bike, I believe, will contribute to that comfort level.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:32 am

alwims wrote:Fog on the inside? Wiping with a rag on the inside? I've ridden many thousands of miles behind an F4 Customs F4+4 shield on both my 1200 and my 1800, in all kinds of weather and temps and not once have I had to wipe the inside of my shield because it fogged up. I don't like looking over my shield even in rain, no especially in rain. Why have a windshield at all if I have to look over it for any reason? Remember this is My Humble Opinion. With the F4 Customs shield, I get to enjoy the open ride of a motorcycle with almost zero wind buffeting. If looking over your shield in the rain is your thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't belittle me or anyone else that wants to be a little more comfortable by looking thru our shields with a wiper moving the water away from our line of sight. It's worked in the Automotive Industry and in Japan on Goldwings for many years. I've come to the age where comfort has become a very major part of my life and a wiper on my bike, I believe, will contribute to that comfort level.
once in awhile my windshield will fog up on the inside, like when i bring it out of my garage first thing in the morning but not very often.

alwims, i agree with you 110% about being comfortable and being able to see THRU your windshield. having a windshield wiper makes this possible in the rain, especially at night in the rain when you get all the glare from oncoming vehicles and from overhead street lights. i would recommend having one to anyone with a tall windshield. it's worth its weight in gold just for the safety factor alone plus it looks cool as hell having a windshield wiper on a motorcycle. i get a lot of comments on mine.

stuart.

alwims

Post by alwims » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:40 am

Solidbob wrote:
alwims wrote:I'm confused. What did I say that made you think I don't have an F4 windshield?
I went back and re-read your Posts, Sorry..... when you were talking about the green Hued Bass Boat...guess I lost my way.....
No Problem. Please note I wasn't cutting down Rejex in any way shape or form. I was just trying to convey how leery I am of putting coatings on stuff after my bass boat debacle. As a mater of fact, I'm looking at Rejex for my and my wife's face shields.

alwims

Post by alwims » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:44 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:
alwims wrote:Fog on the inside? Wiping with a rag on the inside? I've ridden many thousands of miles behind an F4 Customs F4+4 shield on both my 1200 and my 1800, in all kinds of weather and temps and not once have I had to wipe the inside of my shield because it fogged up. I don't like looking over my shield even in rain, no especially in rain. Why have a windshield at all if I have to look over it for any reason? Remember this is My Humble Opinion. With the F4 Customs shield, I get to enjoy the open ride of a motorcycle with almost zero wind buffeting. If looking over your shield in the rain is your thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't belittle me or anyone else that wants to be a little more comfortable by looking thru our shields with a wiper moving the water away from our line of sight. It's worked in the Automotive Industry and in Japan on Goldwings for many years. I've come to the age where comfort has become a very major part of my life and a wiper on my bike, I believe, will contribute to that comfort level.
once in awhile my windshield will fog up on the inside, like when i bring it out of my garage first thing in the morning but not very often.

alwims, i agree with you 110% about being comfortable and being able to see THRU your windshield. having a windshield wiper makes this possible in the rain, especially at night in the rain when you get all the glare from oncoming vehicles and from overhead street lights. i would recommend having one to anyone with a tall windshield. it's worth its weight in gold just for the safety factor alone plus it looks cool as hell having a windshield wiper on a motorcycle. i get a lot of comments on mine.

stuart.
It is kinda cool. Wife and I went out to eat last night on the bike and a guy and his girl pulled up on a Harley Fat Boy. They delayed us 15 minute from going inside talking and asking questions about our wiper. If his girlfriend has anything to do about it they will have a wiper on their bike soon. :D

Solidbob

Post by Solidbob » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:16 pm

alwims,

A few minor points that I have worked thru.... 1. This is a Mandatory Safety feature for many countries (Japan, Tawain, Indonesia, and many others and in Asia it can be added as an option in countries that don't require it for Safety... I even tried to buy one thru a dealer in Hong Kong but they claimed Honda would not sell it to him as he would be an exporter to the US. 2. Rejex - will work on all windshields & faceshields ...please read their website and it does not Fog or buy a cheep bottle of anti fog for Diving Face Masks... . 3. Some specality windshield manufacturers have their own products made for their specific windshield. and lastly if you want a intermitant wiper switch button 4. Try a door bell button or a cabinet door button switch - normally open at rest / so that when you mush the button the wiper works, if possible mount it within easy reach of a hand grip so its easy to hit... there are Touch Pad Switches around for about 8.00 but they were not available around me so I opted for Peer Clears... some of you need no more stuff on those bars as convience can get away from you... Ride safe guys....

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:09 pm

alwims wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:

stuart.
It is kinda cool. Wife and I went out to eat last night on the bike and a guy and his girl pulled up on a Harley Fat Boy. They delayed us 15 minute from going inside talking and asking questions about our wiper. If his girlfriend has anything to do about it they will have a wiper on their bike soon. :D
and shes right too. just for the safety factor involved especially since she rides with her boyfriend. before i had this wiper, i wouldn't ride my wife on it with me knowing what could possibly happen. i would hate to have anything happen while she was on the bike with me.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Solidbob wrote:alwims,

A few minor points that I have worked thru.... 1. This is a Mandatory Safety feature for many countries (Japan, Tawain, Indonesia, and many others and in Asia it can be added as an option in countries that don't require it for Safety... I even tried to buy one thru a dealer in Hong Kong but they claimed Honda would not sell it to him as he would be an exporter to the US. 2. Rejex - will work on all windshields & faceshields ...please read their website and it does not Fog or buy a cheep bottle of anti fog for Diving Face Masks... . 3. Some specality windshield manufacturers have their own products made for their specific windshield. and lastly if you want a intermitant wiper switch button 4. Try a door bell button or a cabinet door button switch - normally open at rest / so that when you mush the button the wiper works, if possible mount it within easy reach of a hand grip so its easy to hit... there are Touch Pad Switches around for about 8.00 but they were not available around me so I opted for Peer Clears... some of you need no more stuff on those bars as convience can get away from you... Ride safe guys....

Solidbob, i like the idea of a doorbell button. it never dawned on me to try one of them. i tried a toggle interrupter switch in the past and it didn't work so i never put an on/off switch on it. i'll also look into that Rejex product and see what the story is with that.

stuart.

RoadRogue

Post by RoadRogue » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 pm

alwims wrote:If looking over your shield in the rain is your thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't belittle me or anyone else that wants to be a little more comfortable by looking thru our shields with a wiper moving the water away from our line of sight.
Geezs Alwims, no need to get all butthurt , nobody is belittling you. I am just stating MY OPINION based on my 40+ years of riding motorcycles in all weather conditions with the exception of tornadoes. I'm not knocking being comfortable at all. But if it makes you happy to have a wiper go for it. I just disagree with looking through the windshield on a bike, but what the heck some people believe deer alerts make them safer too. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:57 pm

LOL @ deer alerts, that's funny..........no one is trying to belittle anyone or look down on them for having their own opinion. that's what this country is all about. you have your "thing", i have my "thing" and someone else has their "thing". we all have our own "thing", all we were trying to do is give our opinions about having a windshield wiper on a motorcycle.

now see, this is what i don't understand......if windshield wipers are mandatory on goldwings in some other countries, why can't they be mandatory here? personally, IN MY OWN OPINION, (and you can take it for what it's worth), the motorcyclist will have a BIG advantage when caught out riding in the rain and i can tell you from MY PERSONAL experiences with AND without. think about it this way.....IF you were to ride on a motorcycle with a windshield wiper on it IN THE RAIN, would you try it and give an honest unbiased opinion ?

stuart.

alwims

Post by alwims » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:19 pm

RoadRogue wrote:
alwims wrote:If looking over your shield in the rain is your thing, then by all means go for it, but please don't belittle me or anyone else that wants to be a little more comfortable by looking thru our shields with a wiper moving the water away from our line of sight.
Geezs Alwims, no need to get all butthurt , nobody is belittling you. I am just stating MY OPINION based on my 40+ years of riding motorcycles in all weather conditions with the exception of tornadoes. I'm not knocking being comfortable at all. But if it makes you happy to have a wiper go for it. I just disagree with looking through the windshield on a bike, but what the heck some people believe deer alerts make them safer too. 8-)
I probably used the incorrect term when I said belittle. As stuart says you have your opinion and I have mine and I respect your opinion as you should respect mine. All I ask is the you keep an open mind with regards to wipers on bikes. Times change technology changes to included bike windshields. If you are not open to change you are standing still and could be living in the past. As you I have been riding most of my life with a few breaks in there. I remember the first bike I ever rode with a windshield on it. I also remember the first time riding in the rain behind it and looking over it. Likewise I remember my decision to look through my shield and how much my old eyes liked not having wind in my eyes. As I said earlier if you want to look over your shield then by all means don't let me change your mind. I happen to like the new technology of looking through my shield.
Last edited by alwims on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoadRogue

Post by RoadRogue » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:20 pm

If you guys are looking for a place to mount the switch for your wipers , take a look at this post by our very own Virgilmobile. This is simple and effective, keeps everything neat and within reach 8-)
viewtopic.php?t=19654
Ride safe, Todd

RoadRogue

Post by RoadRogue » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:53 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote: now see, this is what i don't understand......if windshield wipers are mandatory on goldwings in some other countries, why can't they be mandatory here?
stuart.
Do you really want your government telling you that you have to do yet another thing because someone else thinks its safer for you based on their opinion? I think we already have more than enough mandatory regulations as it is.
What are you going to do when you need your wiper to see and it fails for what ever reason. Blown fuse, loose wire etc. Can you see over or around the windshield in an emergency? How long is it going to take you to react and regain sight of the road?
Go ahead and enjoy your wipers, its not for me. I see just fine in even the heaviest rain, water just beads of both my windshield and face shield. I never have to worry about the wiper not keeping up to the weather. Would I try one. OK but only on a windshield I can see over 8-)
Ride safe, Todd

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:01 pm

RoadRogue wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote: now see, this is what i don't understand......if windshield wipers are mandatory on goldwings in some other countries, why can't they be mandatory here?
stuart.
Do you really want your government telling you that you have to do yet another thing because someone else thinks its safer for you based on their opinion? I think we already have more than enough mandatory regulations as it is.
What are you going to do when you need your wiper to see and it fails for what ever reason. Blown fuse, loose wire etc. Can you see over or around the windshield in an emergency? How long is it going to take you to react and regain sight of the road?
Go ahead and enjoy your wipers, its not for me. I see just fine in even the heaviest rain, water just beads of both my windshield and face shield. I never have to worry about the wiper not keeping up to the weather. Would I try one. OK but only on a windshield I can see over 8-)
if that is how you would try it, that's fine. just keep an open mind.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Post by roadwanderer2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:03 pm

RoadRogue wrote:If you guys are looking for a place to mount the switch for your wipers , take a look at this post by our very own Virgilmobile. This is simple and effective, keeps everything neat and within reach 8-)
viewtopic.php?t=19654
i looked at it and i have to say that was a very good place he put it at. its definitely within reach of his hand. i'll keep that in mind.

stuart.