Jackets

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Jackets

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:07 am

I've never had a jacket that allowed me to stay reasonably cool in the heat of the summer. I feel the heat, on a hot summer day, to a point where I sometimes don't even feel like riding, and that's completely unacceptable. Right?
I don't want a motorcycle jacket in the classic sense, I simply want a jacket for motorcycling. Whenever I Google search for a motorcycle jacket, I'm bombarded with jackets made of kevlar, and armour, and padding and insulation etc. etc. that are designed to save me in the event of an accident that's going to leave me skidding down the highway. Maybe you'll agree that the chances of a motorcyclist, such as the ones who subscribe to this forum, who ride large expensive touring machines, and have a mature ideology regarding safe and defensive riding, would rarely, if ever, go skidding down the highway. I've been riding for 37 years accident free. I know what some of you are thinking right now. "Well you know, you can never be too safe". Is anyone else sick of hearing that? Maybe the sky will fall! There's always going to be some risk. That's part of what makes it appealing. Don't get me going!
Having said that, all I need is a jacket that's not too short, has arms long enough that the cuffs won't pull out of my gloves when my hands are on the grips, has a couple of zippered pockets, has cuffs and neck closures that will keep out a chilly wind on an evening ride, why I'd even put on a light sweater if it got a little more than chilly. Maybe a jacket, that would even repel a short, light, rain shower, would be nice. I'd have full rain gear if I was on a tour with a schedule, and the weather got crazy, or I'd keep a close eye on the weather and maybe stay in that day. The thing that I would most like however, would be a jacket that I'm not going to roast in on a hot and sticky day. I sunburn easily so I need something over my arms. Can anyone else relate to this? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. How's everybody coping out there?

Thanks................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Jackets

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:48 am

I liked reading you post Dave, good luck with a jacket. I find this too warm.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:31 am

I always wear Kevlar trousers and full size boots. I always wear Kevlar tour jacket and full face helmet when on motorway.
I cut the lining and waterproof membrane out of my gloves, All I need is protection from harm not the cold and rain.
As soon as I get off the motorway on goes the open face and the lightweight jacket I pictured.
On the trike I can take off my helmet in town centres and sometimes the jacket.
It is easier to stand on the pegs on a trike for some air too

On a solo I wear all the gear all the time, but I am out before sunrise and back about sunset, so I get the long distance to where I want to be over with before mid morning. Sometimes I don the open face and lightweight jacket if the heat is affecting my concentration, but I will ride in the inside lane with slower moving traffic or 55mph max.

Something else I do for air cooling is remove my gloves and un Velcro the cuffs and my collar, hold the ends of the handlebars, and stick out my elbows, air rushes up the sleeves, I sure can feel the heat streaming out of my collar.

Notice in the pic the screen is the same one when I bought the trike when it was yellow, I fitted the vent myself.

I want a new screen probably a F4 or Optic Armour, but I am thinking about adding a second vent, so need to decide wether to place one above or below if I buy one with vent, or cut two openings myself as photoshopped.
My old Vetter Windjammers had 2 small round vents at the bottom of the screen, I have been considering if they will fit at the bottom of a 1800 OA or F4, I have seen all the bits for sale except the vents, I have standard height screen always at highest point, I can just peek over it enough in the rain if I sit bolt upright. I would have to consider a taller screen if I could do this, because they would need to be fitted with the screen at its lowest point if they fit.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:39 am

I had the same qualities in mind when I bought my new jacket, with the exception that I also wanted unobtrusive armor that didn't heat me up, as well as a removable, totally rain-proof liner.

This is what I bought - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/47 ... esh-jacket

What surprised me is how cool the jacket is on really HOT days. The way it directs air at your skin is like wearing your own personal air conditioner. Any movement translates into cooling.

Of course, I've been a fan of Joe Rocket stuff ever since we were supplied with it as issue equipment when I was a motor officer, and it also saved my hide in a really ugly go-down (hit a deer - can't predict that!). Plus, the fact that it has a nice, big, gold Goldwing emblem embroidered on the back, a small one on the front, and "Honda" (it's a licensed Honda product) didn't hurt any, either!

The main thing is, I can wear this jacket in ANY weather - hot, cold, wet, dry - it works all the time!

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:32 am

Mh434 wrote:I had the same qualities in mind when I bought my new jacket, with the exception that I also wanted unobtrusive armor that didn't heat me up, as well as a removable, totally rain-proof liner.

This is what I bought - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/47 ... esh-jacket

What surprised me is how cool the jacket is on really HOT days. The way it directs air at your skin is like wearing your own personal air conditioner. Any movement translates into cooling.

Of course, I've been a fan of Joe Rocket stuff ever since we were supplied with it as issue equipment when I was a motor officer, and it also saved my hide in a really ugly go-down (hit a deer - can't predict that!). Plus, the fact that it has a nice, big, gold Goldwing emblem embroidered on the back, a small one on the front, and "Honda" (it's a licensed Honda product) didn't hurt any, either!

The main thing is, I can wear this jacket in ANY weather - hot, cold, wet, dry - it works all the time!

This is the same style jacket I was wearing when I had my last wreck. Mine was the "Ballistic" model that is very similar. They let the air in in the summer, and have a zip in liner for rain and/or cold weather. Mine had pads on the elbows, shoulders, back. The jacket was destroyed, but I didn't have a scratch where the jacket covered. Full face helmet was a saver too. Hate to think how my face would have looked like without it, as if it wasn't bad enough allready :lol: . I have been riding bikes for 48 years now and see a lot more stupid stuff from cagers that you didn't see years ago, plus there are a lot more people on the road now than when I started riding, and that is not just cagers. See a lot of "stupid" sport bikers that can't seem to be able to keep the front wheel on the ground :roll: .
Another thing that will help keep you cool in the summer, is Baker Wings. They can be adjusted to give you a breeze in hot weather, and direct the wind away in the cold. It is amazing how much differience their "Hand Wings" make for your cold weather riding. I didn't think they did much till I got my second wing that didn't have them. It does now. :D
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:23 am

I had a conversion Joe Rocket jacket that I wore for 14 years - it had zip-out panels that when removed revealed mesh, and also a thermal liner that could be zipped out as well. It worked down to about 40F (with an couple layers underneath) and up to 95F. After many years of service, the zippers started failing. I loved that jacket.

When I went to replace it, I was summarily unimpressed with the offerings from Joe Rocket. The features I had on that old jacket weren't available, and the quality of the newer jackets was lacking in my opinion.

I ended up going with an Olympia Airglide mesh jacket. I've worn this jacket for several years now. It is mesh on the outside, and has windproof and thermal layers that can be zipped in. I have matching mesh pants that go with it that are extremely comfortable, and have large pockets on the thighs that hold things you can access while riding.

It did not perform as well as I would have liked in cold weather however, so this past year I bought a set of Olympia Ranger gear: an Olympia Ranger Jacket and Olympia Ranger 3 Over Pants. These are EXCELLENT cold and wet weather protective garments, and are comfortable to wear from about 75 degrees and below.

They are all supposedly waterproof (the Ranger more than the Airglide), and are, until you hit a solid downpour. For that I have a set of Olympia Horizon Rain Gear which folds up into tiny pouches for carrying, and is 100% waterproof for extended periods of heavy rain.

If you're sensing a theme, you're correct: I am very happy with my Olympia gear, which is why I consider it first when I need more. It's functional, comfortable, and not astronomically priced like some gear. It's a bit of a step up from some of the cheaper gear, but I really do think you get what you pay for.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am

Thank you very much, all of you, for your interesting and very comprehensive responses. It's much appreciated, and certainly gives me a fair assortment of options available. I'll try and let you know where I land in all of this, no pun intended, but my report back may not be for a year or so, after I make my decision, and try it out in real-time. Ah yes, the eternal optimist!

Thanks again. That was good. Come on spring!..............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Regardless of which jacket you choose, the only one that will help protect you is the one you are wearing if/when the get-off happens. The only one you will be wearing, for certain, is the one that is comfortable regardless of conditions. Choose well, and always wear it. One day, you will be thankful you did...thankful for the rest of your life.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:11 pm

One thing to consider while riding in the warmer weather (do you remember those, Northerners? :lol: ), is for a "camel back" water bag. It goes on underneath the jacket, and provides a drinking tube so that while you are going along you can have a drink. I know that in most places of the North, that you do not get the extremes of temperature, but it is surprising how quickly you can become dehydrated while riding in the hot weather.

Keep yourself hydrated, as it can affect concentration, stomach, and the whole body. My brother driving his aircon car was recently treated for dehydration, so it can happen. With all that hot air going past on a mc, it does seem to wick your body moisture away quicker than you think.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I loved that jacket. When I went to replace it, I was summarily unimpressed with the offerings from Joe Rocket. The features I had on that old jacket weren't available, and the quality of the newer jackets was lacking in my opinion.

I loved mine too, best jacket ever, and was my only jacket. I wore it all the time outside summer, when out walking, out in the car, shopping. Why did they stop making them, if it was because they were not selling, shops would be full of them, I have been looking for one for years. Mine got too tight one spring, left it off for a year, and instead of losing a few pounds I went the opposite way so I sold it. Now, if it fits it is a jacket, to me they are all the same. I tried a Skyline on and was not tempted to buy one,

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 pm

redial wrote:One thing to consider while riding in the warmer weather (do you remember those, Northerners? :lol: ), is for a "camel back" water bag. It goes on underneath the jacket, and provides a drinking tube so that while you are going along you can have a drink.

Give me a cup holder any day. We ride Wings, not mountain bikes :P

SILVEREAGLE355
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing 1200 Limited Edition

Postby SILVEREAGLE355 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:03 pm

You are so right, I haven't found one that will work for me either, because the summers here are scorching, but still need that protection from some of the debris that is on the road.
SILVEREAGLE

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:10 pm

Another thing to consider when buying a jacket is something that will enhance the ability of other highway users to see you. HY Viz attire is not sexy, but folks do see you!

I also think the OP should rethink his opinion of the importance of wearing good quality jackets and such that will protect you in the event of a crash. I have been riding since 1966 and my only serious crash was in 2003 when a kid in a Nissan Sentra turned left into my bike and trailer, and down I went. I had the right gear on and walked away. Wing and trailer were totaled.

What did I do wrong--entered that intersection a minute too soon or a minute too late! The proper clothing can help prevent a crash by making you more visible and then protect you during the crash. That day I was wearing a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. I now have a newer HyViz and much improved model. In the heat of the summer I wear a HYViz First Gear Mesh jacket.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

SILVEREAGLE355

Postby SILVEREAGLE355 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 pm

True, at night o wear a reflective vest over my jacket always.
SILVEREAGLE

harvey01

Postby harvey01 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:09 am

SILVEREAGLE355 wrote:True, at night o wear a reflective vest over my jacket always.

That is great at night, but I am really talking about day time riding to enhance the ability of others to see us. I realize that HYViz is not fashionable, but if it helps someone see me and thus prevents a crash it is worthwhile to me.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

SILVEREAGLE355

Postby SILVEREAGLE355 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes this is true I'm with you 100%.
SILVEREAGLE

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Give me a cup holder any day. We ride Wings, not mountain bikes :P[/quote]

I ride a wing but I also wear a full face helmet. Kind of a pita to get a drink from a mug. I guess different things work better for different applications.
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Breakdancer wrote:
I ride a wing but I also wear a full face helmet. Kind of a pita to get a drink from a mug. I guess different things work better for different applications.

I've always worn modulars, but even with a full face, I'd stop to drink before I'd sip from a camelbak. Roll on with your warm water, I guess :lol:

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Where did I say that I drank warm water?? I just usually get something when we stop. That also gives us a little more time to stretch our legs a bit. Modulars seem nice. Maybe someday. ;)
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Breakdancer wrote:Where did I say that I drank warm water?? I just usually get something when we stop. That also gives us a little more time to stretch our legs a bit. Modulars seem nice. Maybe someday. ;)

You quoted my response to redial about using a camelbak then said it was a pain to use a mug with a full face. Seemed to me you were agreeing that sipping water from a camelbak was the way to go with a full face. Sorry if I misunderstood

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Hot weather! De-hydration! Round here! Your havin' a larf.
At the first sign of thirst raise visor and open mouth.
Hot weather remove winter lining from jacket, very hot weather take off thick jumper as well.
At least that's what it seems like this "Summer" so far.

Sid

harvey01

Postby harvey01 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Sounds like it is getting hot over there in "merry ole England".

I like the Camelbak. You can fill it the night before, stick in a freezer, and come morning it is frozen---cool water all morning. Then at lunch get extra ice and fill it with ice for the afternoon.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Postby detdrbuzzard » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:07 pm

I pick up a klim latitude masimo jacket about a month ago but for hot weather like we are having now I wear an old joe rocket ballistic jacket, it doesn't have a wind / rain liner so I keep the liner from my tourmaster draft air jacket in the saddlebag. for water I use a large butler mug, by attaching some plastic water line to the mug and cutting it long enough to reach my mouth I can have a drink on the fly even when wearing a FF helmet

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

Return to “Goldwing Chat”