Missing my Wing

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Missing my Wing

Postby tom84std » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:38 am

Last summer I moved to a VTX and gave my Goldwing to a good friend. I like the VTX. I like being able to put my feet out in front of me. Sits lower, gobs of power, the fuel injection is wonderful. I miss having a four-cylinder Wing.
I'm sometimes checking cycle trader and Craigslist. Making up excuses and pondering a negotiation strategy to use with my wife.
If I could find a '76-79, not too worn, good alternator....
Not actively seeking one out, but if I spot one locally for sale and it's in fair shape and not too much money......
They get into your blood.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Missing my Wing

Postby Mag » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:10 pm

I have been back to a wing a couple of times, something just more comfortable, convenient, and entertaining on a wing, though I like the 1500 size than the 1000. That reverse is just handy.

I hear you though, I am thinking of clearing out my garage (wife does not know yet) so I can house a second ride....that way I can work on one, ride the other, switch back and forth as I do maintenance and such so I do not lose riding time....hmmmm, think she will go for it?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:23 pm

switch back and forth as I do maintenance and such so I do not lose riding time....hmmmm, think she will go for it?

Are the pigs flying in your area yet? :roll: I think you would have a hard time convincing her, but what are you willing to give up in return? They always want something in return. :o
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:34 pm

What ever posessed you to get rid of your wing, :shock: when you knew that there was nothing that could possibly ever replace it. :P Let us know what type of wing you get to replace your transgression :lol: I think I'm going to get another as a project to keep me amused ;)
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:22 pm

My wife and I had this discussion this evening (I let her know of my "intentions").....
- When I moved up to the NW from California, I was used to 11 months of riding in California. Washington State was not allowing me the same season that I was accustomed to. I was riding a beige 89 Wing with gold parts instead of chrome, a true Cali bike, but I loved it. This was not my first wing but it was the one I loved. I bought it after I got my Bachelors degree, a long hard journey getting me out of a hole that I never should have been in in the bay area (long story, and long hair and leather).
- When I was up here, we moved to a lake, I have 180 ft of waterfront on one of the sloughs off the north end of the lake, 10 mins trolling gets me to the main area of the lake.
- A friend of mine wanted the bike, he had a 67 chevy pickup and a boat. Well, the boat did not run, and deteriorated, sold it for $200 solely because of the engine parts to another friend of mine. The chevy was a runner, but the driver side was bashed in by an 18-wheeler. Another friend of mine had a 68 chevy long box C20 with no engine....so, we dropped the 67 engine in to the 68, but it is still not running yet. Everything is straight but will still take someone with some skill and space to complete it (keep reading).

Along the way living here for 20 years, we collected toys, those that were fun but cheap because we did not want to buy new. A couple of those toys are a couple of older jetskis. Well, they also sat. Read about this later.

I had a 99 blue Firebird T-top, loved the car, was able to get it up to 250k miles, had to sell it, it was nickle/diming me on electrical issues. A guy on the coast wanted it, had a 1500 Vulcan vtwin. I traded, and had to fix it up due to vacuum issues. Got it running, but it would only go about 100 miles until I had to fill it up....and my commute was 135 mile round trip, so that did not work. Though I loved the ability to stretch out on the Vulcan, it was a great bike, I sold it....took the cash and found my 88 wing, same beige color, no gold, but more "issues" that I had to fix. Found out my 89 is still running the highways with the guy that I sold it to.

So, the discussion tonight.....
- I need to sell my 68 Chevy (to get space on the property)
- I need to redo a large woodshed to move the riding lawnmower and other garden equip from the garage to the shed.
- I need to clear out the middle bay of my garage, where I will then re-work my 2 jetskis. Should not take a lot to get them fired, I hope.
- And then, and she already agreed....if I get the jetskis resolved, then I get a 2nd bike....hmmm, figure a wing (of course) so that I can work on one while I ride the other, I will not lose any riding season as short as it is.

I enjoy cycling all the time, but I am not an avid vtwin-er, I have lived that life, as hard as it was. I am now in practical with a vtwin attitude, and yes, I will point at cagers when they get in my space and realize I am there. I do wear leather because I love the smell, the comfortability, and one of my old habits was working with leather and I want to get back to that again so I can make leather accessories for wings, customize colors, carvings, etc., etc. We will see where this goes.

Does anyone want a 68 chev pickup for a project?? I will let it go real cheap ;)

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:33 am

Only on my 1st wing so I think its working its way into my blood still. I miss sport bikes. And there are many other bikes I'd like to try. I just dont want to let one go to buy another if I can help it!
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mag

Postby Mag » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 pm

I will probably always have a "wing" type bike...as goofy as it sounds, it is too damn practical....storage, weight, can be seen on the road. Just have to learn to maneuver....once you get going, it really is not as heavy as it looks, and I do not get blown all over the road. Will I have another type bike? I have the garage, I just need to clear out all the crap (there is always something I have to do)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”