anyone dealt with saber cycle?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
halcombrick
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

anyone dealt with saber cycle?

Postby halcombrick » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:13 am

i found some hard to find chrome at saber cycle, i was just wondering if they were good to deal with and if their parts were good quality?

Rick, 82 GL1100 Interstate

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Re: anyone dealt with saber cycle?

Postby Mspinner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:07 am

They were the only place I could find a headlight benzel . Price was high, in fact i felt it was way high, but they had it. Got it in a week.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 am

Read their review elsewhere on this site. I won't deal there. :cry: Just put Saber cycle in the search box above.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Ghostman
Motorcycle: gl1800

Postby Ghostman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:19 am

They used to have a really bad rep. Supposedly a lot of ill fitting or cheap chicom parts for all year wings along with a bad return policy for them. Over on the Steve Saunders forum at one point there was a thread about happenings with them . If you go online trying to find any complaints youll find the sites blocked or youll have to sign in to view complaints. Red flags right there. I know I wouldnt take the chance to shop with them even though they have an ad in Wing world magazine now.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:01 pm

They are without question the worst Goldwing parts vendor. In the world. Period. Read the comments written by all the people who have been burned by them:

Saber Cycle Vendor Record

The parts they sell are ill-fitting Chinese knockoffs, they frequently sell parts that don't fit or are for the wrong application, and when you complain, you are sent profane emails and barred from their store. They refuse to use PayPal for their eBay store, because then their legions of unsatisfied customers could actually get refunds when they get screwed over.

You can make your own decision - but I won't spend a dime with those crooks.

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:They are without question the worst Goldwing parts vendor. In the world. Period. Read the comments written by all the people who have been burned by them:

Saber Cycle Vendor Record

The parts they sell are ill-fitting Chinese knockoffs, they frequently sell parts that don't fit or are for the wrong application, and when you complain, you are sent profane emails and barred from their store. They refuse to use PayPal for their eBay store, because then their legions of unsatisfied customers could actually get refunds when they get screwed over.

You can make your own decision - but I won't spend a dime with those crooks.

From what I'm hearing it must be true . I did however find a headlight bezel and was the only place I could find one. But I do have a bad history when it comes to searches . AND although they raped me on price, they had it and it fit. Not saying either way, but my only transaction was ok.. Kinda too k a week to get it, but it was ok.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:20 pm

I have never done business with Saber Cycle. From everything I've read about them, I never will. Apparently, they have about the worst customer service on the planet.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 am

I suppose that I'm somewhat in the minority here, but I have no problem with the two dealings that I've had with Sabre Cycle. Delivery time and shipping costs were acceptable, although I can't comment on followup service. Both exchanges were for the same product, "No Name" brake pads. The days of Honda OEM pads for my "78 GL1000 seem to be numbered, at least for rear pads, and to a slightly lesser degree front pads. That would be Ebay. I can't remember ever having a problem with the OEM pads.
At any rate, I installed a set of EBC pads a while back, and they squealed so badly that I was embarrassed to stop near anybody. To me, they're pure garbage. I saw that Sabre sold brake pads with a softer composition, and although I realized that they wouldn't last as long, it seemed to make sense that they would squeal less. That's also the way they were advertised. The squealing was reduced by at least 90%, and that did it for me. My riding habits are very non-aggressive, so if stopping power is reduced somewhat, it shouldn't affect me too much. I certainly don't notice any difference. And also, the price was right. I'd spend extra for OEM pads if anyone knows of a source, but for now the Sabre pads are good.
Any suggestions or comments are always welcome.

When I'm out for a ride, I don't like stopping too much anyway................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

blakeR
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 goldwing

Postby blakeR » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi, Blake here and I had bought from saber cycle. it was about a year ago, bought a chrome road guard or roll cage from a Honda VTX 1300 that I have along with my goldwing. There service was good and the product was as described and the instillation was easy.
I hope this helps, I will probably use them again.
Later, Blake

spiderjack
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Postby spiderjack » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 pm

DON'T GET ME STARTED with those bunch of friggin' crooks!!! Absolutely the worst experience I have EVER had with any online vendor.

Before I had heard of them, I did a search for timing belts for my GL1500 and they had them cheaper than everyone else. I ordered two, which was a hassle, because they don't take PayPal (I found out later that they had so many complaints that PayPal dumped them, so they have to use some other fly-by-night payment processor).

5 days later my box arrived. It looked like it had been through a shredder - but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and put that on the post office (that said I've since heard a LOT of people with this complaint about Saber Cycle packaging).

I opened it up, and discovered that they had sent me two different belts! Not only were they a different diameter, they were different widths and had different numbers on them! I looked online, and found that they are supposed to be the same exact belt. OK, anyone can make a mistake, I figured, so I sent them a polite email asking how which belt was the correct one, and how to exchange the incorrect one.

I wish I had kept the response they sent me, I would post it here if I had. It was the most incredibly rude, offensive, demeaning and obnoxious email I had ever received. They told me that the belts they sent were correct for my bike, that I was mistaken, that they have been selling these for years, and nobody had ever complained before, I was an amateur, they are the professionals, blah blah blah.

Wow.

I took the belts to my local mechanic, so he could tell me which was the correct one. He said the smaller of the two was the wrong belt. But he also said that he wouldn't put either of those belts even on a lawn mower, because they were so poorly made - they were made in China, and he showed me that there were fibers actually coming out of the sides that are supposed to hold the belt together. He said I should send them back and get my money back.

I replied to Saber Cycle's rude email, saying that my mechanic told me the belt was wrong, and that they were of such poor quality that I wanted my money back. Wow, was that the wrong thing to say.

If I thought their first email was rude, that was nothing. Their response to my second email was off the charts. They actually called me an idiot! They said I was "obviously incompetent", that I shouldn't be trusted to do work on my own bike, that all sales are final with no refunds, and as a final hurrah, they banned me from ever buying anything from them again. Fat chance of that happening!!

I wrote again insisting to return the belts because they had obviously sent the wrong one, but I never received another reply from them. So I ended up being shafted with two crappy belts that I couldn't use. I threw them in the garbage, where they belonged.

I ended up doing what I should have done originally, and went to NAPA and bought a couple timing belts from them. Once I had a look at those belts, it was readily apparent just how bad the Saber Cycle belts were. The NAPA belts were pliable and well-made, the Saber Cycle belts felt like they were made of plastic and had threads and rubber bits hanging off all over them. The NAPA belts were made in USA by Gates, the Saber Cycle belts were made in China, and had no manufacturer name on them at all. 'nuff said.

I went to take my story of woe to the Internet and found SO MANY people with the exact same story: product received in battered boxes, damaged product, WRONG product, inferior garbage product, and when they try to talk to customer "service" they instead get humiliating and offensive emails in response. I read on this web site people who put Saber Cycle head gaskets on their bike and they failed after 6 months.

Saber Cycle may have cheap prices, but their products are cheap crap, and their customer service is the WORST. Even if they had good quality products at cheap prices, I would refuse to buy from them now, on principal, after the way they treated me.

I put my story on the vendor record here:

http://goldwingdocs.com/Vendors/Saber-Cycle_880

If you read through it, there's 40 other people who have written similar experiences on there too. Looking elsewhere on the Internet, I found complaints about Saber Cycle doing exactly this sort of thing for at least 9 years now. How do they stay in business?!?!?!?!?

Just STAY AWAY from these crooks!!!!

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Sorry for your luck Jack. It definitely sounds like your upset, and considering the way you said you were treated, and the product that you received, probably rightfully so.
Having said that, I'm also looking at a PayPal button on the Sabre Cycle checkout, right now.

..............Dave
"Assume Nothing"

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Sorry for your luck Dave. :( See you on the side of the road, just don't mention Saber Cycle. :D Can't say that you weren't warned. :P
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:37 am

Solina Dave wrote:Sorry for your luck Jack. It definitely sounds like your upset, and considering the way you said you were treated, and the product that you received, probably rightfully so.
Having said that, I'm also looking at a PayPal button on the Sabre Cycle checkout, right now.

..............Dave

Interesting! And new. They haven't accepted PayPal for years.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”