Enclosed Cargo Trailer Sit-Up

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
seabeechief
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800

Enclosed Cargo Trailer Sit-Up

Postby seabeechief » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm

I purchased a 16' Continental Cargo enclosed cargo trailer. I'm trying to set it up for hauling my Goldwing now, with intent to trike it out in 1-2 years. I am going to install some "E-Track" and a wheel chock. I have the spec sheet for a Motor Trike conversion. Should I mount the hardware so the center of the proposed trike is centered over the center of the tandem axles? Or move it slightly forward of center. Also, I'm thinking I will mount the "E-Track" close to the edge of the trailer, as opposed to closer to the bike? If any of y'all have done this already, I would appreciate your input and pictures if you have them. Thanks in advance.

Chief

Combat Vets Association - San Antonio
Patriot Guard Riders - San Antonio & Austin
Darkside #1609

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Enclosed Cargo Trailer Sit-Up

Postby robb » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:59 pm

You want at least 10% of the trailers weight on the hitch. If you are there with empty trailer then over center will work. Depending on your tow vehicle you may want to test run before making final decision. Wheel chock will hold bike upright. My thought is that E track will be too far away if mounted to edge of floor to achieve good pull down. I like 2' left and right of center.

I have a f350 crew cab dual wheel and a tri-axle trailer. Zero tongue weight empty and only 14 pounds with my 89 GL1500 completely forward. A 14K loader and tongue is barely 200 pounds. Little trailer is 2 axle , weighs 3500 empty with 240 tongue weight. Bike forward only adds about 10 pounds. Truck don't care, but my Explorer wants all the tongue weight it can get.

Lowrider1
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Postby Lowrider1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 am

My 16' cargo is used for ATV's, bikes and a 12' boat so I have tie downs on the walls that I can use depending upon what I'm hauling and move the 4"x4" chocks where I need them.BTW, I have fold down beds, shower and a kitchen in there too.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 am

I've never used E-Track but understand there concept.
What I understand you saying is you want to mount the E-Track on the floor.
In my opinion that would be stronger than the walls since trailer walls are thinner and weaker.
Hopefully parallel with the axle but along the walls will work too.
Tie downs too far from "X" will let the trailered bikes 2 wheels skootch out sideways. Not so with a trike.

"IF" you have the means, mount 2 sets of track, behind and forward of the axle. That will give you choice of the tie down locations for other stuff.
Wheel chocks, yes. Don't need inches of movement since that will change the trailers balanced weight. (near bad experience)
Like others said, mass weight just forward of the axle with 10-15% of the trailers weight being on the tongue.
Sometimes a missed point: If the trailer is a flat nose, not V, lean to the 15%. Air pressure on the front tilts the trailer rearward thus raising the tongue.

HOPE WE HELPED. ;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 am

My walls are 3/4" plywood and the floor tie downs run thru the frame channel. I have a pair of 4500 lb axles so the light weight bikes and ATV's really don't have much effect on loading. I haul my 7,000 lb tractor with no problem except the F250 doesn't like going up hill very much with that load. I don't use tracks, just have lots of tie down rings and haven't had any problems with loads shifting using ratchet straps. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:34 pm

I just dragged home a 16' enclosed trailer that the PO converted into a Toy Hauler.

He has it set up for either 1, 2, or 3 (smaller) bikes.
He used a flat piece of steel (carpet glued to the underside protects the flooring) to mount the 2 removable wheel chocks and it is anchored by a pair of E-Track clips. Mounting this way allows you to position the bike(s) fore/aft where you want.

You remove the wheel chocks and mount 1 in the centre (mounting holes in the flat bar on either side of the green/white arrow) if all you are trailering is 1 bike.

You then secure the bike to any of the 6 runs of E-Track in the trailer. I know the ones on the floor are welded to the trailer frame ... not sure how the ones on the walls are fastened

Dusty

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Yes Sir, looks a lot like mine inside but I have a kitchen I'm working on and a shower/bathroom along with the fold down tables, cabinets and beds. It should work really well for you Dusty!!

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 pm

I don't plan on cooking inside with any gas/propane burning stoves.
It comes with a 10' x 16' awning for the side that I will use my other stoves/grills etc for cooking under it so as not to stink up the inside with food odours.
If it's raining/nasty out, I do have a hot plate, the microwave and fridge.

It also has a fold down bed, fold down table and 3 fold down shelves

Yes ..... it should serve me quite well to escape the nasty winters up here for a spell! ;)

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 pm

That looks very nice...prettier than mine but about the same. I needed to include the shower so my wife has a place to go...if you know what I mean. Our winters aren't a lot better but maybe a bit shorter. My goal was to have mine done for Spring bear season but I didn't make it...too many other things to do and the bears are all in town in the trash cans anyway.

I cook outside too but I'll have hot water inside and in the shower so the counter will do duty for food prep. I'll have microwave too and maybe other electric appliances. I have a 3500 watt generator to run that stuff.

I have a 12' Duroboat with an electric trolling motor and a 9.9 Merc that will fit into mine and I plan to use it this summer to his some mountain streams and lakes. Kayaks also fit.

Enjoy your trailer!!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:24 am

Dusty Boots wrote:I just dragged home a 16' enclosed trailer that the PO converted into a Toy Hauler.
Dusty

How about some graphics Dusty...
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:27 am

What a beautiful rig! Does the fridge run off 12 volts, so it will keep things cool while you're towing it?

Definitely check out how secure the E-tracks are. You don't want things breaking loose inside. I have a family member who has a Ferrari 599 GTB (below). He had the dealership pick it up from storage this spring, to do the wake-up-from-winter maintenance on it. While it was in the trailer on the way to the dealership, it broke free from the restraints, and spent a fair amount of the drive rolling back and forth, smashing into the front and back of the trailer each time the truck towing it started and stopped.

As he discovered, Ferrari 599 bumpers cost $9,000. Each. At least it was on the dealership... (or their insurance company, in all likelihood).

I took this video a couple years ago:

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 am

I use six by chocks, put the bucket down and the brakes on my tractor and have never had it move on some pretty rough rides.

Dusty,

That's really a nice interior and puts my plywood to shame...dare not let my wife see it or I'll be doing mods!!

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri May 01, 2015 4:42 pm

WingAdmin wrote:What a beautiful rig! Does the fridge run off 12 volts, so it will keep things cool while you're towing it?

Thanks, Scott!

No it just runs off of 115 AC

I forgot to mention that although it doesn't have a proper bath room/shower, I do have a decent port-a-potti that I have used car camping and that the bed folds up and converts into a couch configuration as well! 8-)

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Very nice Dusty! I'm thinking truck bed liner on the floor so I can wash the mud out...maybe a throw rug. The pic of the motorcycle on the wall is a nice touch.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri May 01, 2015 8:24 pm

I've had an eye out for a 10-12 foot trailer, but after seeing what you guys have, I'll probably start looking at something in the 16-20 foot range!

Lowrider1

Postby Lowrider1 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:33 pm

If I were doing it again, I would have a 22' built...not that much difference in cost but when I started laying out my 16' I wished it was longer...6' for the kitchen/shower and the 16' for toys and just more room in general. As far as pulling a longer trailer, it is a little more work and gets blown by the wind and semi's a lot more. Just my thoughts.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”