Attaching a sidecar to an '88 1500

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Attaching a sidecar to an '88 1500

Postby dawgout81 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 am

I am toying with the idea of adding a sidecar to my 1988 1500.

The reasons I am toying and not certain are:
1. Attaching a used sidecar?????. One car I am interested in came of an 1987 1200 and since the Goldwings are drastically different in the years '87 and '88 (1200 and 1500 cc, frame differences and etc). The car has all the attachment parts for a 1200. Any ideas out there on making this work as far as attachment parts go?

2. I am not inclined to put a "ton" of $$$ into adding a sidecar to a 1988. The reason I drive an '88 1500 is it is an awesome "price to pleasure" machine. It has 145,000 on the odometer and is a comfortable, tireless, trouble-free cross country cruiser that I do not hesitate to take anywhere. I could not find a better machine than a 1500 that I can say this about. All this for around $4,000. So I will not spend another $4500 to have a new matched sidecar put on....doesn't match the price/reward ratio I personally have.

I would appreciate any thoughts and ideas on this matter. Perhaps I am "barking up the wrong tree" as far as hoping I can make a used sidecar that is in my price wheelhouse work, but I wanted to ask here for input before making any decisions.

I know the sidecar I am thinking about is heavy enough (big 2 seater) for a 1500 and is also in my price range at $1500.00, but will new hardward to attach ruin the price/reward ratio? Or any ideas on making the current attaching hardward it has for the 1200 GW work?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Attaching a sidecar to an '88 1500

Postby Happytrails » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 am

The best way to do it is buy a bike that already had a hack. This way someone else is absorbing the cost. I like sidecar bikes too but have similar questions that your asking yourself. Mostly about costs.

If you can find the right parts then maybe you can get it attached. It takes some expertise though. Or if you can fabricate your own parts. Best suggestion I can offer is check out the sidecar websites and ask there opinions. Sidecar.com or ADVrider have forums and they list sales that they find on the net.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Postby dawgout81 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:09 pm

Thanks for your response.
Yeah! There are some nice sidecar rigs for sale and that may be one option for me.
But, I really like the bike I have and know the service behind it and the great reliability it has, so the idea of a different bike doesn't totally appeal to me.
Another reason is that another bike requires another two sales....one to buy and one to sell what I have. All sales are a risk to a point. That also requires another trip to the DMV to pay to tax and license (more$ that begin to add up). Yet, a rig already set up may prove to be cheaper in the long run, but I want to weigh both options.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:47 pm

It gets complicated. Add to that some Wings with hacks can cost $10,000-15,000 for say a Hannigan rig in good shape.

If you visit the ADVrider site they have there own subforum dedicated to hacks. Maybe you can mention the brand and model of the sidecar your looking at and get some feedback. Also check out there listing of current hacks for sale on the net. You might be able to buy a BMW rig for $5000-6000 and keep your wing. Ride it for awhile and see if its what you want. People tell me sidecar bikes arent always what you expect. They steer funny and you lose the pleasure of leaning you motorcycle. Ive never ridden one.

Here is a link to the ADVrider hack forums: http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”