Close Encounters Of The Best Kind

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Close Encounters Of The Best Kind

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Why don't you tell us all about one of your best encounters with another rider, or group of riders, or anyone, for that matter, while you've been out on a day ride, or a full blown tour? Something that just made you feel really good, at that moment.
I ride solo pretty well all the time, and the day I took my '78 GL1000 motorcycle out of hibernation last year, I polished it up, and rode about 40 kms. north of my place to a Tim Horton's coffee shop that was also a very popular meeting place for other riders. These other riders, I had observed before, were by far Harley Davidson owners. Probably by ten to one. I parked, and went inside and bought a coffee to go, and when I came back out, there was about ten Harley owners all milling around my motorcycle. (I want you all to know, I wasn't scared at all) They began paying me compliments about what a fine looking motorcycle I had. I tried to look cool, even with that grin on my face.
That was one of my best encounters while out on the road. Actually, one of my best encounters, ever!

Tell me, that it doesn't make you feel good.........................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Re: Close Encounters Of The Best Kind

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:59 pm

One day when I came out of the grocery store and was packing away my swag, when the little old lady in the car next to me rolled down her window and said :D "Thats a really pretty motorcycle. :) She had to be in her 80s. Made my day :D People are allways so surprised that it is so quiet :o
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:38 am

While riding home from work (in about 1985) I managed to run over a screw, which punctured the rear tire on my bike. It lost air slowly enough that I managed to get all the way to the stop sign at the end of the road, where I normally would have turned left to head home. I got off, put the bike on the center stand and spun the rear to find what had made it go flat. As I stood up, another motorcycle rider, who as it happens is a man who also works where I do, stopped to see if I needed some help. We didn't really know each other prior to this... After we talked for a few minutes he says to me "wait here and I'll be right back."

Within ten minutes, my new friend shows up with his old Datsun pick-up truck and we loaded the bike into the back.. then he drives me to my house and helps me unload the bike... I should mention that in the time before he stopped, and all the time in between his stopping and returning with his truck, dozens of cars passed by me without so much as a howdy do.... No one else even bothered to ask if I needed any help, or if I was okay.

So, nearly 30 years later, we are still good friends as a result of one random act of kindness on his part. I still feel indebted to him, and he still feels he didn't do anything extraordinary on that day.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:35 am

It was hot, I had been riding all day and was worn out. I needed to find the Post Office and could not. I was at the conclusion of a long ride and needed that post Office to take a photo and mail some stuff for certification of my ride.

I stopped at a gas station, and since they had pay at the pump inserted my credit card only to have it rejected. That was the last straw, I was ready to give up. I walked into the station and the lady behind the counter took one look at me---hot, sweaty, tired, and frustrated---and said " go fill up with gas and come back with the card to pay and I will tell you how to find the Post Office."

That wonderfully sweet and understanding lady processed my credit card and told me that the pay at the pump was not working and then not only told me how to get to the Post Office but drew me a map. A few minutes later I was happily at the Post Office and took care of business and then headed to the motel to relax. To say she made my day is a huge understatement.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:52 am

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:While riding home from work (in about 1985) I managed to run over a screw, which punctured the rear tire on my bike. It lost air slowly enough that I managed to get all the way to the stop sign at the end of the road, where I normally would have turned left to head home. I got off, put the bike on the center stand and spun the rear to find what had made it go flat. As I stood up, another motorcycle rider, who as it happens is a man who also works where I do, stopped to see if I needed some help. We didn't really know each other prior to this... After we talked for a few minutes he says to me "wait here and I'll be right back."

Within ten minutes, my new friend shows up with his old Datsun pick-up truck and we loaded the bike into the back.. then he drives me to my house and helps me unload the bike... I should mention that in the time before he stopped, and all the time in between his stopping and returning with his truck, dozens of cars passed by me without so much as a howdy do.... No one else even bothered to ask if I needed any help, or if I was okay.

So, nearly 30 years later, we are still good friends as a result of one random act of kindness on his part. I still feel indebted to him, and he still feels he didn't do anything extraordinary on that day.

Great story Hawkeye. It just shows you how sometimes the smallest, seemingly insignificant thing, in your case that nasty screw, can have such a dramatic effect on your life. A life-long friendship was created in that moment, and maybe even a little bit of a revival in ones faith in people. That's a somewhat rare commodity these days.
Also, your story reminded me of a time, back in the early '80s, when my ex-wife and I had just entered the giant redwood forest south of Crescent City, on the California coast highway. We had pulled over onto the shoulder to sightsee. When we left, and I was easing the motorcycle, off the soft shoulder, and back onto the asphalt, something low on the motorcycle, maybe the exhaust pipe, or the side-stand, I don't know, caught the edge of the asphalt lip where it drops down onto the soft shoulder, and down we went. We picked ourselves up, dusted off, no injuries except my wounded pride, and stood there surveying the situation. I finally, of course, lifted our Wing back onto it's feet and we were on our way.
It was mid-day, and the highway was busy, and while we had been resolving our situation, not one, of probably twenty cars that passed by, stopped to ask if we needed help. What was it? Were they scared of us? I don't know. What I do know, is that even if I saw someone, in a similar situation, who was wearing a Hell's Angels jacket, I would stop and make sure they were alright. I would think we all would. It's a mystery!
Wow! It just occurred to me that the object of this exercise was to have stories of "Close Encounters Of The Best Kind". I guess that sometimes there needs to be a flip-side, to keep things in focus.

Remember, what goes around, comes around...............Dave
"Assume Nothing"

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 am

I have to admit to not stopping as often as I once would or have stopped to help others. Maybe it's I'm older and it seems like I can't get everything done I need to get done for ME these days... maybe it's partly to do with the fact that most people aren't truly stranded as they once were, now that everyone has a phone stuffed in their pocket (most anyway).. maybe it has to do with some other factor I haven't considered. But, if I see someone obviously in distress, there's a part of me that won't allow me to pass by without at least asking if they're okay or if there's anything they need.

Trouble on the highway isn't a respecter of race, gender, religion, age or any other discriminator I can think of. I've been helped by strangers more times than I can remember, and I always felt that I needed to "pay it forward" when I see others in need. I don't accept payment for help and if it is offered, I will say "just help someone else when you get a chance" as payment enough.

I think helping others is one thing that sets humans apart from dumb animals.. Unfortunately, some "humans" prove that we've got more in common with the dumb animals that I care to admit.

Solina Dave wrote:Remember, what goes around, comes around...............Dave
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:47 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I have to admit to not stopping as often as I once would or have stopped to help others. Maybe it's I'm older and it seems like I can't get everything done I need to get done for ME these days... maybe it's partly to do with the fact that most people aren't truly stranded as they once were, now that everyone has a phone stuffed in their pocket (most anyway).. maybe it has to do with some other factor I haven't considered. But, if I see someone obviously in distress, there's a part of me that won't allow me to pass by without at least asking if they're okay or if there's anything they need.

Trouble on the highway isn't a respecter of race, gender, religion, age or any other discriminator I can think of. I've been helped by strangers more times than I can remember, and I always felt that I needed to "pay it forward" when I see others in need. I don't accept payment for help and if it is offered, I will say "just help someone else when you get a chance" as payment enough.

I think helping others is one thing that sets humans apart from dumb animals.. Unfortunately, some "humans" prove that we've got more in common with the dumb animals that I care to admit.

Solina Dave wrote:Remember, what goes around, comes around...............Dave

Well put guys !! Cheers...
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Dave' post reminded me of an encounter I had with a large group of Hell's Angels. My buddy & I were on our annual trip to Kelowna BC, and when we got to the hotel, the entire parking lot was full of HA Harleys and colors-wearing members. We were on Japanese bikes, so we're understandably concerned as to what they'd look like when we returned to them.

My buddy considered finding another hotel, but I pointed out that there wasn't another room available in the whole region. Then, I said "Follow my lead..." and walked over to the HA who seemed to be nominally in charge. I complimented him on his bike (it WAS nice!), commenting particularly on the paint & Chrome (Harley does great Chrome). He was obviously proud of his bike, and pleased with our comments. When he asked what we were riding, I pointed out our Kawi Concours bikes, and commented we felt out of place & worried about our bikes. He said not to worry, that we were obviously real bikers, and he'd personally make sure our bikes were safe.

We stayed for 5 days, with the HA guarding our bikes the whole time. They were probably safer than if they were locked in my garage!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”