OK.....I'm putting my foot down

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

OK.....I'm putting my foot down

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

As the rest of you, I started my two wheel travel on a bicycle. Then, at about 13, I ventured into combustion engine assist... ;) . Through the next 20 or so years, I had multiple motorcycles, and just like my bicycle, a lot of my riding was sliding! On the motorcycles, for the most part, I tried to keep the front wheel down, because, wheelies was not my style (probably because I most often ended up with street bikes). However, I grew up in South Carolina where there was a lot of sand, and I loved to power slide-cut doughnuts-slow speed maneuvers which in most cases, I had a foot on the ground. I always seemed to have a motorcycle that was "about my size", and I was pretty confident I'd say. Then, I stopped riding for a while, and the next thing I know, I'm 50! So for my birthday, I bought a gl1100, and about a year later, I have it about like I want it (until I change my mind again...). So, I like country riding, and the roads have some loose gravel here and there, and, a couple of times, I have hit some in a curve, and, I guess it's in my blood-I put my foot down-I suppose I'm going to assist this 800 lb beast. Oh-OUCHIE!!...MAN THAT ROAD IS GOING BY FAST! Yeah-I know-be careful, right?...is that something everybody does, or, is it just me...? Do you put your foot down, or, do you "just handle that ol girl"?

My exercise bike is a goldwing.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: OK.....I'm putting my foot dow

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:26 pm

I learned my lesson when I was 12 on a bike...I put my foot down and it caught...I still have a scar...near ripped my tendon out.
My motto...if the bike is moving forward..both feet are planted on the pegs..
The only time they come off the pegs to get near the ground is just before a complete stop or waiting to go again.
This habit was with every bike...the 125cc dirt all the way to the 1500cc beast over the last 40 years.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Feet on the pegs, always. These beasts will break your leg if things go wrong. I guess with loose gravel you do what you gotta do. I hate gravel lots with my girl and yes, I have to ride in one several times a week (my buddies tow yard)

On hardtop, it's all about the head and eyes and counter steering.

Al Lenz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Al Lenz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm

In 1976 I was riding my '75 GL1000 with a group up Mt. Wilson over Pasadena, Ca. I was the only one in the group with saddlebags so we had iced down some cold drinks to share while enjoying the view from the top. On the way back down the ice had melted but not drained out of the saddlebag and as luck would have it a Toyota coming up nailed the saddlebag. Fortunately we were both doing less than 20 mph, but when the bike started sliding for the guard rail I slammed my left foot down knocking the wood heel from my boot. Everyone came running towards me to see if I was ok and since I was limping I thought I must have done something terrible to my leg or foot and just hadn't felt anything yet! About that time one of the guys came up and said don't worry I think I found your problem and handed me back my boot heel. The next problem was the water running downhill from the bike. Everybody was just sure it was coming from the radiator and the thought was how are we going to get this hunk of iron back down the mountain with no coolant? Upon further research we all started laughing at ourselves when we determined the source of the water! Our laughter was a great relief for the poor guy in the Toyota who thought he was in big trouble. We determined that I was over the line at the same time he was and if we had both been thinking we could have passed on the wrong side of each other and been fine, but that's not how you think in a situation like that so I nailed the heel back on the boot and rode on!

Al Lenz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Al Lenz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm

In 1976 I was riding my '75 GL1000 with a group up Mt. Wilson over Pasadena, Ca. I was the only one in the group with saddlebags so we had iced down some cold drinks to share while enjoying the view from the top. On the way back down the ice had melted but not drained out of the saddlebag and as luck would have it a Toyota coming up nailed the saddlebag. Fortunately we were both doing less than 20 mph, but when the bike started sliding for the guard rail I slammed my left foot down knocking the wood heel from my boot. Everyone came running towards me to see if I was ok and since I was limping I thought I must have done something terrible to my leg or foot and just hadn't felt anything yet! About that time one of the guys came up and said don't worry I think I found your problem and handed me back my boot heel. The next problem was the water running downhill from the bike. Everybody was just sure it was coming from the radiator and the thought was how are we going to get this hunk of iron back down the mountain with no coolant? Upon further research we all started laughing at ourselves when we determined the source of the water! Our laughter was a great relief for the poor guy in the Toyota who thought he was in big trouble. We determined that I was over the line at the same time he was and if we had both been thinking we could have passed on the wrong side of each other and been fine, but that's not how you think in a situation like that so I nailed the heel back on the boot and rode on!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 pm

I took myself out on a mini-bike as a teenager by putting my foot down in a corner.

In any case, putting your foot down to "help" a Goldwing is pretty pointless. If your 800 pound bike is going over, you are not going to stop it by putting your foot down, in all likelihood all you're doing to do is injure yourself.

The best way to get a Goldwing to sit back up is in your right hand - twist that throttle open, and the bike will sit right up.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Yeah...those are some thoughts-if you Google "motorcross powerslide" under "images" I think you may have a clearer picture of what I'm getting at. I was kinda looking for the few that might have had the same "style" of slow speed maneuvers as you find on some of those Google captions. However, I do find it interesting, that so far, we have heard-"never" while you are moving (I wonder if that includes cornering at oily intersections after a rain, grassy areas, icy patch, mud...etc) and, "twist the throttle open" to straighten up....Question-If I am on the road in a curve, and approach a patch of gravel, and I feel my bike slide, are you saying that I should accelerate...? Gee, I would have never thought of that...

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:19 pm

The only time I have my foot down is when I'm on a two stroke chasing after my boys. (They're faster on a dirt bike than I am. I'm too chicken these days.) On my Wing feet are firmly planted on the boards. Like Wingadmin. said, to straighten it out, gas on it. I know, when the back end gets loose, it just seems wrong to mash on the gas. But it works. :P
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

f1xrupr

Re: OK.....I'm putting my foot down

Postby f1xrupr » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Everything happens for a reason...I've had maybe 20 or better motorcycles in my life (that ran),but never a wing til 12-2-13. When I got it, it had vetter farrings, trunk, bags, some floor boards, and a crash bar thingie around the bags. The bike needed a total rebuild, so I removed everything. I didn't get the keys to anything till 13 months later (long story). When I put the bike back together, I made it back to a standard (thats what it was originally), because I hadn't ridden in years, and I wanted it to feel like a motorcycle did to me years ago, and the foot pegs and all came with the bike in a 5 gal bucket. As I mentioned in another thread, the weather being to bad to ride, and, now I have the keys and am pretty comfortable on the bike, I put all the farrings, trunk, bags, guards, boards...back on. At the same time, I made this post about putting my foot down. I didn't ride itwith the dress on til today (60 degrees). It had been mentioned above, that I could break my leg by putting my foot down, but that didn't register with me because I have done it so many times before. But, I have never owned a bike with bags! I was laying in bed last night and it dawned on me...wow...if I put my foot down while I'm in motion IN FRONT OF THOSE SADDLE BAGS AND THAT BAR, I'M POSSIBLY GOING TO BREAK MY LEG! ..thanks guys! I wish I new how to add pics (before and after)...I'm using a smart phone.

Brad`s 2nd time
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade 1982 GL500 Silverwing

Postby Brad`s 2nd time » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:23 am

I gues my foot goes down sometimes at low speed sharp turns with my wife onboard, something about two up sharp low speed turns we`re practicing to get em better
Brad from Thrums

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:32 am

Putting your foot down in Flat track racing is expected. In fact the metal shoe they wear assists with this.

However road riding is not flat track racing. I would urge you to watch some roadracing videos to see how the roadrace guys do it and keep their feet off the ground. But not their knees!

Actually if you have not taken a riders course you might want to look into that. Courses are offered in many locations and are worth the time and money it takes to attend. Many of us who learned in the back yard developed some really bad riding habits and the course can teach us how to do it correctly. Most states have a rider education program. The courses normally involve a few evenings of classroom instruction and a day or so on the range practicing and developing skills. And the courses are great not only for beginners but for returning riders.

There are also dvd's available such as "Ride like a Pro" which teach the proper techniques but you have to do a lot of practice to get that good.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Old Wing Man
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing SE

Postby Old Wing Man » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:35 am

I have a gravel driveway and have to ride my 1500 GW about 150 feet thru grassy gravel from the shed to the front gate entrance which is up a moderately steep inclined gravel surface. I keep my feet down when riding it out of this area at idle speed. I don't know what good it would do, but I do it anyway. I suppose that if the bike did go down, I could get off easier with my feet down. I have never had the urge to put down my feet on the road way.

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 am

In my area we get a lot of sand and gravel on the roads in the winter. I have never dumped a bike because of it, but I have had some scary moments. So I have become very aware of the posibility of gravel in the center of the lane on curves and am always watching for it. That's the best way to avoid it, IMHO.
I have spent many years riding dirt bikes and dual sports off road. Putting my foot down in off road and slow speed conditons has become a reaction rather than a thought process. About 3 years ago, I was riding my dual sport thru a snow drift rut, got off balance and put my foot down and it caught and tore the miniscus in my right knee. It is just now getting to where it doesn't bother me any more. Do I still do it on a dirt bike? Yes! But not on Big Red.....

Bill

Return to “Goldwing Chat”