What is the Italian word for sidecar

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
LDodge
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Aspencade (sold)
1995 1500 SE

What is the Italian word for sidecar

Postby LDodge » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:51 am

Hi all --
This is a long shot but I hoping someone can help me. My elderly Italian mother is thinking about moving back to her native Italy from California. She would like to take me to Italy so she can scout around and saw me where she grew up. I jokingly said I would love to ride Italy and she said we would rent a bike, but as she has two bad knees I told her that would not be a good idea, but (still joking as I didn't think she was serious) if we could find a sidecar, she could ride in that while I am on the bike. YIKES she really liked the idea and now she has commissioned me to find a sidecar (with a bike attached :D ) that we can rent in Campania Region which consists of: Napoli, Salerno, Avellino, Benevento, Caserta. It doesn't have to be a wing (I know to some that is borderline heresy 8-) ). We are looking at going end of August or beginning of September.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I contacted a few companies I found on the internet and though they offer beautiful dream bikes (Ducatis, Moto's -- yes I know like all Italian machinery (and women), very beautiful but HIGH maintenance -- but that is discussion for another time :lol: ), none of the companies on line offer a side car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much
Lawrence

Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: What is the Italian word for sidecar

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:33 am

Today is your lucky day. In addition to being super smart, I'm also fluent in Italian(not really). motocarrozzetta (I googled it LOL) is the Italian word for side car, according to Google.

Your trip sounds amazing. I hope you do go and post many photos so that we can enjoy the trip with you.

LDodge wrote:Hi all --
This is a long shot but I hoping someone can help me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much
Lawrence
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

LDodge
1995 1500 SE

Postby LDodge » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks Hawkey --
ah the brilliance of Google:)
IF this trip happens I will definitely post some pictures. :D
Meditation doesn't mean you are sitting still. Enjoy the open road and let the good LORD speak to you (even at 65+mph) ;)

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:motocarrozzetta is the Italian word for side car, according to Google.

And here I coulda swore it was "motor-a-cycle-oh side-a-car-oh", but I did not Google it. That indeed sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Good luck - I hope it works out for you. Lil green envy - :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

LDodge
1995 1500 SE

Postby LDodge » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:54 pm

very funny :)
but how can you be jealous with a map like you have? WOW, I think I am doing good having driven in 4 states -- you've hit 49 + all of Canada. -- I am the one that is super jealous:) Let me know if you ever need a riding partner
Have a good one -- hopefully we can get back on the road soon; this snow stuff has GOTTA go.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 am

LDodge wrote:how can you be jealous with a map like you have? WOW, I think I am doing good having driven in 4 states -- you've hit 49 + all of Canada. -- I am the one that is super jealous:) Let me know if you ever need a riding partner

Actually only 47 States and all of Canada. I know it is difficult to notice, but Rhode Island and Delaware are still unridden. I am a bit green with envy because I want to ride everywhere anyone else has ridden or will ride. I have not had the opportunity to ride a motorcycle anywhere except North America, although I admit I have done pretty well at covering that. And although I have been to the Hawaiin Islands, I have not ridden a motorcycle there, so it is uncolored. The missing three states will need to be destinations in order to cross them off the list. I cannot accidentally hit them on other trips due to their locations. So many rides, so little time. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Here you go! And they rent out Nan Chang with sidecar (Chinese copy of BMW R71 750cc), and Ural with side car (Russian design of 750CC). You should check on the safety requirements, as I think they are pretty strict on having an ECE Sticker on the helmets, so US helmets will not do. They are pretty expensive, at about 300Euros/day, plus about 6000Euros damage deposit. These people are located in Milan, which is a large city in the north of Italy.

http://www.mototouring.com/bike-rental/ ... les/?id=76

I would certainly be taking out travel insurance, as if you get a better one it should cover you in case of accident, third party property, etc etc. You will probably also need an international driving licence, (usually obtainable from AAA), as some police do not understand, read write English, and the International licence will cover you for this.

Let me know if I can assist further.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Have you worked out your requirements yet? Let us know your progress, please.

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”