Out of country motorcycle purchase

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Out of country motorcycle purchase

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 pm

I need some answers to a few questions regarding details in purchasing a motorcycle from outside the country. It seems like there would be a lot of details involved in doing so. I live in Ontario, and see that there is a considerably larger selection of used Goldwings in the US, than in Canada. No surprise there, what with a better riding climate, and 10 times the population.
If I located a suitable motorcycle somewhere in the states, I would still want to go, and confirm that it was the right one, and either ship it home, or ride it home weather permitting. How would the ownership transfer details work in the states, and what would I need to legally ride it or ship it back to Canada? Also, what details would be required at Canada customs? I would also have to have paperwork in Ontario as proof of ownership, so would I need an Ontario safety check, and would it need to have speedometer/odometer work done to convert it to metric, or could it be left as is?
If anyone has made a purchase like this, especially a purchase where the motorcycle is brought into Canada from the states as opposed to the other way around, I'd appreciate any advice, and as much detail as you have, that you could pass on. It might be simply more trouble than it's worth, I don't know. Do you think it's a good idea, or a bad idea?

Bringin' it home......................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: Out of country motorcycle purchase

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:33 pm

hey Solina:

your best bet here would be to contact your local motor vehicle department in your country and ask them the same questions as your asking here, then, contact a US motor vehicle department that's closest to your border and ask them what is involved in transferring a US bike title, (certificate of ownership), to your country's paperwork. some of the bikes here in the us have kilometers per hour also on our speedometer and its usually in red as apposed to the ours that are in white, so you might be safe there.

SOME states here, (especially up north), in the US have what's called "motor vehicle inspection stations" they check the lights, signals, stop light, tail lights, horn brakes, helmet, which in our country your helmet MUST be DOT, (Department Of Transportation), approved, and have a DOT sticker on the back of it, windshield, (if the bike has one), tires, emissions and of course your motorcycle license endorsement, vehicle registration, and your proof of insurance card. Florida is the only state that I know of that insurance on your bike or use of a helmet isn't mandatory, but if you want to ride without a helmet, you should have a personal injury insurance policy. its not mandatory, but I would advise having it. I cant tell you what it is in your country, but that's what it is here, but like I said earlier, you should contact your motor vehicle department and ask them, they should have all the answers your looking for.

good luck and hope you find the ride your looking for. don't forget, we're here for ya when ya need help.

stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 pm

Have a read through these two web sites for all you will need to know:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... ex-445.htm

https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Have a read through these two web sites for all you will need to know:

see? I knew someone in here would have some knowledge about this. way to go wingadmin.

stuart.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:22 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Have a read through these two web sites for all you will need to know:

Thank you, that's a big help.
"Assume Nothing"

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:40 pm

I live in Campbellville, ON, and bought a '92 1500 SE 2 years ago in Virginia while on vacation. I wanted to ride it home, but could not make it work. Could not transfer the title in VA because I was not a citizen, and could not pick up insurance for the ride home (either from the US, or my insurance company in Canada). I ended up going back 3 weeks later with a pick-up truck and bringing it home on the truck. All information you require is on the RIV website that web-admin suggested. If the bike is over 15 years old, you don't need a lot of things that can be a bother (the recall clearance from the manufacturer, extra inspections and taxes, etc.). It makes it worthwhile to get a bike that is more than 15 years. You should have the signed ownership (title) and best to get a notarized bill of sale so there are no questions about how much you paid for it, etc. Notaries are everywhere and easy to get to sign a bill of sale. Check out at which border crossings you can cross to declare the bike. Not all border crossings will allow bought vehicles to cross, and some of them only do this during certain hours. You need to give a minimum of 48 hours (trying to remember, but I think it was 48) notice by email to the border at which you are crossing with certain information (presumably for them to do a background check to see if the bike is stolen or has liens on it). After clearing with the US side of the border, you will need to clear the Canadian side of the border (declare what you paid for it, and pay some tax, don't remember how much). You are then set. You need to get it safety checked in Canada as you would with any other vehicle, and you are done. You won't need to convert the speedo to kph or change the lights if it is over 15 years old. It's all on the RIV site. It may look complicated at first, but read it a few times, and it will get clearer. Not very difficult. Don't try to pull a fast one on the border by undervaluing the bike. They will look on E-bay or other sites to try to find out what the bike was actually advertised for and selling for. If you get caught it, you will be in huge trouble. If you have further questions, please ask. fnickel@sympatico.ca

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:39 pm

fnickel wrote:I live in Campbellville, ON, and bought a '92 1500 SE 2 years ago in Virginia while on vacation. I wanted to ride it home, but could not make it work. Could not transfer the title in VA because I was not a citizen, and could not pick up insurance for the ride home (either from the US, or my insurance company in Canada). I ended up going back 3 weeks later with a pick-up truck and bringing it home on the truck. All information you require is on the RIV website that web-admin suggested. If the bike is over 15 years old, you don't need a lot of things that can be a bother (the recall clearance from the manufacturer, extra inspections and taxes, etc.). It makes it worthwhile to get a bike that is more than 15 years. You should have the signed ownership (title) and best to get a notarized bill of sale so there are no questions about how much you paid for it, etc. Notaries are everywhere and easy to get to sign a bill of sale. Check out at which border crossings you can cross to declare the bike. Not all border crossings will allow bought vehicles to cross, and some of them only do this during certain hours. You need to give a minimum of 48 hours (trying to remember, but I think it was 48) notice by email to the border at which you are crossing with certain information (presumably for them to do a background check to see if the bike is stolen or has liens on it). After clearing with the US side of the border, you will need to clear the Canadian side of the border (declare what you paid for it, and pay some tax, don't remember how much). You are then set. You need to get it safety checked in Canada as you would with any other vehicle, and you are done. You won't need to convert the speedo to kph or change the lights if it is over 15 years old. It's all on the RIV site. It may look complicated at first, but read it a few times, and it will get clearer. Not very difficult. Don't try to pull a fast one on the border by undervaluing the bike. They will look on E-bay or other sites to try to find out what the bike was actually advertised for and selling for. If you get caught it, you will be in huge trouble. If you have further questions, please ask. fnickel@sympatico.ca

Thanks very much for all of that excellent information. I was hoping that someone from Ontario would have purchase experience of this nature. The RIV site is very self explanatory, like you say, but requires a few readings to get it clear. I haven't even started looking yet, but I wanted to have some of the details clear in my mind ahead of time, so that I'd be ready to move should the right motorcycle present itself.
I may be wrong but it almost sounds like you happened on your 1500 SE somewhat by accident while on your vacation. If that's the case, it must have really caught your eye and made a big impression on you at the time. I'll bet it's a beauty. I'm kind of casually looking for the right GL1100 Interstate. Maybe an '83 in original near mint condition with low miles, or recent engine work, for under a thousand dollars. Ha! Just kiddin' about that last part. I'd essentially be in the same boat you were in, regarding a motorcycle being over 15 years old. It certainly sounds like that would remove a lot of headaches. I certainly didn't want to be upgrading the speedometer to metric if I didn't have to. I like to keep things as simple as possible, and certainly playing it straight with customs is a given for me. It's just not worth the hassle, to do it otherwise.
Anyway, thanks again for your kind response. I know where Campbellville is, I live on the other side, north west of Bowmanville. Nice weather we're having! I hope that you get a lot of good riding in when the weather's better.

Thanks again............................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

dawgout81
Motorcycle: 1988 1500

Postby dawgout81 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 am

Dave,
It sounds like you can get a lot more bikes to choose from in the states and it might be worth your time, effort and trouble to get one outside of Canada.
I personally have had 3 Wings...an '81 Interstate, an '04 1800 and currently have an '88 1500. All 3 have been great bikes and great rides.

The '04 I basically did not work on much since it was only 3000 miles on it when I bought it and only kept it 2 seasons without enough riding.....then 4 kids and college tuition kicked into my life. It simply did not need work beyond routine maintenance when I owned it.

A few years ago, I got the itch to ride again and bought a really nice '81 Interstate with only 38,000 miles on it. Bought it in the winter in Minnesota for only $1400 and performed about $4-500 worth to maintenance during the winter......stainless steel brake lines, timing belts, brake pads and calipers, recovered the seat.....all done by me (not the most mechanical person in the world) with this site providing all the information in the "how to" section. Rode that bike for 2 years then had a knee replaced and a back fusion done and simply didn't feel strong enough to ride for the next summer. Sold that and bought a trike for 2 years for safety reasons.

Then I got myself back in shape and last summer got the '88 1500. 145,000 on the odometer. Did a trip from Minnesota to Seattle and back on it. The 1500 is also a great ride......in my opinion, the most comfortable on long trips of the three, but all 3 were/are very comfortable and reliable.

The 1500 gets the worst gas mileage of the 3......between 30 and 38 depending on pulling a trailer, driving 75 mph or 65 mph and etc. The 1100 did not have cruise, which on a cross country trip I love. The 1800 wasn't quite as big as the 1500, so I am personally more comfortable on the 1500. Also, I personally have a hard time justifying spending 10 grand or more on an 1800 while living in Minnesota with such a short riding season. Overall for me, the 1500 has been a great choice that combines price, comfort, maybe the most reliable and long-lasting of the 3 models.

Also, when the wingadmin got a 1500 himself a couple of years ago, I was confident that the technical/mechanical information found here on this site would see me through almost any wrenching I may need to accomplish.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:08 am

what is the difference in weight between the 1200, 1500 and the 1800. I know my 1100 fully loaded down with 2 up weighs in around 1000+lbs.

stuart.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:what is the difference in weight between the 1200, 1500 and the 1800. I know my 1100 fully loaded down with 2 up weighs in around 1000+lbs.

stuart.

GL1100 from 1980 to 1983, depending on bare all the way to Aspencade = lightest weight 563 lbs, to heaviest 760 dry weight
GL1200 from owners manual 730 lbs dry weight
GL1500 models from "I" being 769 lbs to "SE" at 818 lbs dry weight
GL1800 no ABS at 791 lbs to ABS model at 881 lbs to full up with everything at 925 LBS dry weight

Info taken from owners or service manuals.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:20 am

themainviking wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:what is the difference in weight between the 1200, 1500 and the 1800. I know my 1100 fully loaded down with 2 up weighs in around 1000+lbs.

stuart.

GL1100 from 1980 to 1983, depending on bare all the way to Aspencade = lightest weight 563 lbs, to heaviest 760 dry weight
GL1200 from owners manual 730 lbs dry weight
GL1500 models from "I" being 769 lbs to "SE" at 818 lbs dry weight
GL1800 no ABS at 791 lbs to ABS model at 881 lbs to full up with everything at 925 LBS dry weight

Info taken from owners or service manuals.

hey Viking, thanks for the info. that's not too bad, I think I could handle a GL1500 and from what I've read from others in here about them, it sounds like its a very comfortable and easy bike to ride. sometimes I have to "man handle" this 1100, but only in extreme circumstances. like when some idiot decides to pull out in front of me, or dodging a road hazard, you know, stupid stuff like that.

stuart.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Staying with the 15 years theme, that would get you into a late-model GL1500 (I'd look for an SE model, if I were you). These are AMAZING bikes! A quick Google browse showed several nice 1500's in the $4k - $5K range. I'm sure a concerted search would turn up even better deals.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 pm

Mh434 wrote:Staying with the 15 years theme, that would get you into a late-model GL1500 (I'd look for an SE model, if I were you). These are AMAZING bikes! A quick Google browse showed several nice 1500's in the $4k - $5K range. I'm sure a concerted search would turn up even better deals.

hey Mh, ive been looking on c/l at all the Honda Goldwings, and ive seen some nice ones.............question, any opinion on the gl1200"s? I can get an 84-86 for under 3 grand.

in the mean time, im gonna have to sign off for a day or 2, trying to type is really hurting my hand since I cant use my fingers across every key on the board. I accidently stuck a Phillips screw driver thru my left hand this morning.

i'll be back in a couple of days once the swelling has gone down. im on some good antibiotics and pain meds. fill me in when I get back online.

thanks everybody, stay safe out there,

stuart.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:11 am

Sorry to hear about your hand! I know someone who did that. Okay, it might have been me... :lol:

The GL1200's are great bikes, too. After riding a couple, though, once I rode a 1500, I was spoiled by the smoothness, power, amazing array of new features, seamlessly integrated into the bike (as opposed to looking like afterthought add-ons).

The best advice I can give you is to meet with GW owners in your area, and try riding representatives of all of the 5 series of 'Wings. Everybody's different - some folks like the GL1100's over all others, for example. Personally, I find that the GL1500 fits me better than any other model.

Some will tell you that nothing but the latest GL1800 is worth considering. I disagree - they're ALL great bikes. One of these models, though, will capture your heart above all others. It only remains to discover which one that is.

Lastly, I'd recommend buying all the bike you can afford. Maintenance history is important, too, as a bike that's been sitting for a couple of years can potentially cost a LOT of money to get shipshape, whereas one that's had regular maintenance & fairly constant use will be a get-on-and-ride proposition.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Mh434 wrote:Sorry to hear about your hand! I know someone who did that. Okay, it might have been me... :lol:

The GL1200's are great bikes, too. After riding a couple, though, once I rode a 1500, I was spoiled by the smoothness, power, amazing array of new features, seamlessly integrated into the bike (as opposed to looking like afterthought add-ons).

The best advice I can give you is to meet with GW owners in your area, and try riding representatives of all of the 5 series of 'Wings. Everybody's different - some folks like the GL1100's over all others, for example. Personally, I find that the GL1500 fits me better than any other model.

Some will tell you that nothing but the latest GL1800 is worth considering. I disagree - they're ALL great bikes. One of these models, though, will capture your heart above all others. It only remains to discover which one that is.

Lastly, I'd recommend buying all the bike you can afford. Maintenance history is important, too, as a bike that's been sitting for a couple of years can potentially cost a LOT of money to get shipshape, whereas one that's had regular maintenance & fairly constant use will be a get-on-and-ride proposition.

hey guys, im back, well, sorta kinda, its still really hard to type because my hand is still swollen and I cant spred my fingers across the keyboard, so im using the "h & p" (hunt and peck) method.

first let me just say thanks for all your kind words and the way you treated my wife yesterday, I really appreciate that.....wingadmin, I know that had to hurt, even LOOKING at hurts lol. I was saying just about the same thing you did, and before I could say the last couple of thoughts to myself, WHAM, I done doodit. attached to this posting is a pic of what my hand looks like today. its a little less swollen than yesterday and the pain has subsided a little thanks to the good pain and antibiotic meds the dr at the ER gave me :?. the only other problem is that on the x-rays, it does show a small shard of metal from the screwdriver tip still imbedded in my hand almost at the center of my palm. if I take some time to answer these posts, please bare with me, im not used to typing this slow. while im at the hospital on Tuesday, after my eye surgery, im going to talk with other doctors about what's gonna happen if they decide to remove the metal from my hand. the doctor at my local hospital was talking about cutting my hand open and getting the metal out then closing up my hand again. if I have to have it done, there goes my bike riding until July or august :cry:.

stuart.
Attachments

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm

Hmmm - ask for an MRI, hold your hand up in the air, and be careful no one gets shot with the shard when it flies out! :D

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Mh434 wrote:Hmmm - ask for an MRI, hold your hand up in the air, and be careful no one gets shot with the shard when it flies out! :D

:lol:, yeah, I was thinking about that to get the metal out of my hand, but the problem with that is it might rip my hand apart on the way out.

stuart.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Well...there is that, alright! Or, you could end up stuck to the top of the MRI machine, like you were saluting Hitler! :D

Sorry, don't want to make light of your situation, as it's a seriously annoying, painful, inconvenient, and downright nasty one! Anyway, best of luck for a speedy recovery & back on the road, my brother!

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Mh434 wrote:Well...there is that, alright! Or, you could end up stuck to the top of the MRI machine, like you were saluting Hitler! :D

Sorry, don't want to make light of your situation, as it's a seriously annoying, painful, inconvenient, and downright nasty one! Anyway, best of luck for a speedy recovery & back on the road, my brother!

lol, funny. yes it is all of the above. I tried to get on my bike today to take it out for a quick run, but I had trouble with the clutch, I don't have enough strength in my hand yet to pull the clutch lever in and resting it on the hand grip didn't feel much better either. guess i'll just have to wait until after I see the dr's on Tuesday.

stuart.

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Postby fnickel » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Back to Dave's original conversation;
Yes, I was on vacation, not seriously looking for a 1500SE, but just browsing on E-Bay and Craiglist, when I found a local guy in Virginia within about a half hour's drive. He had approx 10 Goldwings for sale. I was not looking for a perfect one, more for a good condition with a reasonable price. He had one that fit the bill, fairly good condition, not perfect, reasonable mileage and the price was quite good. So I took a chance. Have not regretted it. The bike has been great, and it was no problem getting it over the border, although I did need to make an extra trip back to go pick it up.
So Dave, have you ever gone to watch the VRRA races at Mosport? VRRA = Vintage Road Racing Association. The event is for a full weekend Aug. 21 - 23 this year. Being that close to Mosport, I'm sure you must be familiar with it. Actually, it's now called the Canadian Tire Motorsports Park. You'll get to see lots of vintage bikes, see good racing, and meet a lot of good people. I try to go every year and camp there for the weekend. It would be great to meet you over there this summer. Maybe I'll get to see your new purchase of a bike from across the border. Send me your email if you like, and we can keep in touch. Mine is somewhere in the message above.
Frank

huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Postby huggiebear » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:22 pm

hello everyone!
I've imported 3 motorcycle and 1 car from USA, yes we can get a better deal in USA than Canada.
I drove the car from Buffalo NY to Toronto, the last motorcycle I drove it From Chicago to Toronto. I've purchased a temporary permit in US and drove it home.

What do prior importing the Motorcycle:
1 make sure the motorcycle is admissible in Canada ( look at RIV.ca list)
2 have a copy of the title and fax it at least 72 hours prior crossing the boarder.
3 before you Cross the Canadian Boarder you have to stop at the USA boarder and tell them you want to export the bike, make sure you have a copy of the fax log where the phone number of the boarder you cross is listed .
4) stop at he Canadian boarder and tell them you are importing the bike, have bill of sale here you have to pay tax and obtain a form 1 of 2.
You need for 2 to do the safety at Canadian tire,
5) In order to get form 2 you need to sent a recall letter to RIV Be aware that Honda USA doesn't give recall letter to Canadians you have to do your homework or ask the seller to get you one I've got mine from Honda USA site , you can only sign up if you have a USA address (I do)
6) once you have form 2 go to Canadian tire to do the safety "Canadian Tire is the only shop authorized by RIV"

If you find out that there is a recall after you enter Canada If its a HONDA you have to take it back to USA for to get it rectified.
Another advice if you cross the USA boarder with 10000 $ dollar or more make sure you tell them or you will be in big trouble like I did.

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm

huggiebear wrote:hello everyone!
I've imported 3 motorcycle and 1 car from USA, yes we can get a better deal in USA than Canada.
I drove the car from Buffalo NY to Toronto, the last motorcycle I drove it From Chicago to Toronto. I've purchased a temporary permit in US and drove it home.

What do prior importing the Motorcycle:
1 make sure the motorcycle is admissible in Canada ( look at RIV.ca list)
2 have a copy of the title and fax it at least 72 hours prior crossing the boarder.
3 before you Cross the Canadian Boarder you have to stop at the USA boarder and tell them you want to export the bike, make sure you have a copy of the fax log where the phone number of the boarder you cross is listed .
4) stop at he Canadian boarder and tell them you are importing the bike, have bill of sale here you have to pay tax and obtain a form 1 of 2.
You need for 2 to do the safety at Canadian tire,
5) In order to get form 2 you need to sent a recall letter to RIV Be aware that Honda USA doesn't give recall letter to Canadians you have to do your homework or ask the seller to get you one I've got mine from Honda USA site , you can only sign up if you have a USA address (I do)
6) once you have form 2 go to Canadian tire to do the safety "Canadian Tire is the only shop authorized by RIV"

If you find out that there is a recall after you enter Canada If its a HONDA you have to take it back to USA for to get it rectified.
Another advice if you cross the USA boarder with 10000 $ dollar or more make sure you tell them or you will be in big trouble like I did.

The whole thing is beginning to sound more and more like a royal pain in the ass!! I think if I buy at all, I'll buy Canadian, even though there's undoubtedly a greater selection, and lower prices state side. I'll just keep my eyes open until something comes along, and then decide what I want to do. I think I'd prefer to keep it simple. Maybe that's just me. If I could simply go to the states, buy a motorcycle, and bring it home without any customs or bureaucratic interference, that would be perfect. But that ain't gonna happen!

Grumpy Dave
"Assume Nothing"

huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Postby huggiebear » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Dave!
If you are looking for a Goldwing I have 2 one with a sidecar and a matching trailer this one is a 2005 30th anniversary
The second one is a 2010 airbag model top of the line I believe it's a level 4
With 11000 km on it, this is Canadian the 2005 I bought it in the states

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 pm

I feel for you, Dave!

I recently tried to import a small, brand-new utility trailer to tow behind my 'Wing. The whole RIV thing seems to be a scam, IMHO. They assess whatever fees they feel like, as well as their own fees (it appears they're 'contracted' to the Feds to deal with all vehicle imports), as well as imposing a whole lot of rules that most people can't deal with (or are impossible to meet). Even with this brand new, certified vehicle, it was absolutely impossible. There ARE no recalls on that trailer model (been around for years in the US), and RIV wouldn't accept a null response. In addition, RIV's fees, assessments, etc. made the whole proposal ridiculously expensive, and it would have taken weeks to accomplish (if even possible).

In the end, I found a wonderful motorcycle utility trailer (Costco.ca, of all places!) for far less money than the build-it-yourself version would have been "post-RIV".

I suspect that, as a result of NAFTA, a lot of people were importing vehicles from the US and, to put a stop to it (and force people to keep their money in Canada), RIV was contacted and basically told "Make it as difficult as possible. You can charge whatever you want, if that helps."

Solina Dave

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

huggiebear wrote:Hi Dave!
If you are looking for a Goldwing I have 2 one with a sidecar and a matching trailer this one is a 2005 30th anniversary
The second one is a 2010 airbag model top of the line I believe it's a level 4
With 11000 km on it, this is Canadian the 2005 I bought it in the states

Thanks anyway Bear,
I'd be looking specifically for an '83 Interstate. I think that I'm just going to wing-it for a while, and stay with my '78.

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”