Sharing my experience

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Sharing my experience

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 am

I have a older Jeep grand Cherokee 4x4 and it kept me busy the first year we had it,, getting everything right on it,, I keep getting oil drips and I located it to be behind the Oil filter.... :shock: I think it was like a 9/16" socket, I tried using a socket but there were things in the way so I had to use a boxed end wrench, you guys know how long a wrench like that was so I couldn't get it loose, there was a really good solid bite on the nut, so I got a cheater pipe out thinking,, I'll get it with this, :D , Great day in morning,,, nothing but a bend wrench :shock: ..........That little peckerwood is freakin on there,, I'm a pretty strong dude.... I get another wrench and get a different cheater pipe and bam, the wrench broke, it freakin broke right in half...a good quality wrench too..Hummmm by this time I'm pissed.. I am simply not used to getting beat like this,,, so I took a break, sat down right here at the desk and I started reading online about that oil adapter, one guys suggested taking the vehicle out for a good long ride , making the engine nice and hot, the light bulb went off in my head and I started grinning,, he said to bring it back and try breaking it loose, I listened and I did, and bam, if that little sucker didn't break loose.....sure made sense after thinking about it,, most bolts and nuts will be easier to turn when warmer.... Molecules and such... :shock: the point to this story is...... You know that hard to turn oil bolt at the filter on the 1100's , if it doesn't come loose with a socket or wrench, go warm the engine up really good then try it...It might come loose a little easier... Based on experience on my jeep... I may be wrong but it would be worth the try.....Cost is nothing....

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Sharing my experience

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:47 am

There you go again Beave, working smart instead of working hard. Well, eventually..... 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 am

I had no idea how I was gonna get that nut loose man,, there's a gasket under it that was leaking,,, apparently this adapter is a real pain to remove,, I love that Jeep man,, it's fun to drive... Amanda is in love with it too...She takes it to school and the other kids park next to her and such...LOL I just laugh... It was cheap and we got it running well...Maybe it was two mounting bolts,, I forget,, but they were tough.. Oh and I had to remove the steering gear box and take that freakin control arm off..OH my word.. My language got bad,,,I even bought the pulley tool... who welds this stuff on man.. Used PB Blaster, and heat and that sucker just wouldn't
come loose,, I was turning the bolt to the puller and snap the arm to the tool cracked... Fudge... Got on youtube and watched a guy hit it off with a hammer... Went and bought a new puller tool and tried smacking it while turning and it got it off,,, No damage to the tool...Once I got it off,, I kicked it... :shock:

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:19 am

kicked it huh, lol, I did that once to a part and wound up breaking my toe. wont do that again. ya know, the way you post your comments and by looking at your avatar, I can just picture you doing that lol.

stuart.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Usually when I work on something I am as calm as a cucumber up until it wants
to get stubborn, then I gradually start talking to the part, telling it stuff like,,,Oh so your gonna be a freakin wise guy and not cooperate and come right off are you,,, then it escalates into more of a love hate conversation,,, if I spend more than 20 minutes on it, I begin to think it's a against me and now it's freakin on,, it's war... Doesn't happen very often :shock: but when I finally get it off or done, I feel as though I conquered or defeated my enemy, and I kick it :lol: figure of speech not literally... :lol: I'm not an idiot..... :shock: (Well) :lol:

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Usually when I work on something I am as calm as a cucumber up until it wants
to get stubborn, then I gradually start talking to the part, telling it stuff like,,,Oh so your gonna be a freakin wise guy and not cooperate and come right off are you,,, then it escalates into more of a love hate conversation,,, if I spend more than 20 minutes on it, I begin to think it's a against me and now it's freakin on,, it's war... Doesn't happen very often :shock: but when I finally get it off or done, I feel as though I conquered or defeated my enemy, and I kick it :lol: figure of speech not literally... :lol: I'm not an idiot..... :shock: (Well) :lol:

ok, heres something for ya.............I just got home from the hospital, leave it to me to hurt myself out of stupidity. I was working on my bike around 9 or so this morning, and I had nothing better to do so I figured, "hey, :idea: I have an idea, why don't I stab myself thru my left hand with a Phillips screw driver", and I did. what happened was I was holding my radio antenna base in my left hand and a Phillips screw driver in my right hand pushing it into the screw slot to loosen it up, and the damn thing slipped off and went right thru my left hand between my thumb and pointer finger :x and now my left hand is all swollen up and I cant move my thumb, index or middle finger. what makes it even better is I have a piece of metal embedded in my hand from the shavings of the screw that was on the end of the screw driver, so I guess im not gonna be working on my bike for the next week or 2, and yippie, next Tuesday I go into the hospital for eye surgery. AINT LIFE GRAND :roll:.

stuart

Breakdancer
Motorcycle: 1993 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby Breakdancer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm

I used to work on Thermo Kings in Fresno back in 1980. We had to carry our most common tools around in a 5 gallon pail of water all day. If you left them in the sun for too long they were too hot to pick up. While changing a starter one day (which is located in the back of the unit and you can hardly even see it), I managed to get two nice cuts and a very nice burn on my forearm. :x NOT having a good day. Now it's over 100*f, I'm bleeding and in pain walking through the dust bowl of a yard to our parts trailer to get a new starter. I happen to see what I thought was an empty 35 gal drum laying on it's side. So I kick that thing about as hard as I could. Going for a fifty yard field goal.Well it wasn't empty, and when my steel toe boot folded back I thought I broke all 5 toes at the same time. :o I think I was limping for at least a week. Seems like some times when things are not going as they should it is best to walk away for awhile and regroup... or limp away. :lol:
Blue Skies...Scott ;
PGR

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:12 pm

LOL funny stuff....Got a great visual... :lol: I can kinda see you limping away lol,, I wonder if anyone saw that..lol.... I see Stuart sitting there with a large bandage on his hand. :shock: .. Oh man,, is it the throttle hand or the clutch hand....? did you finish the job or is the bike just sitting there.... What did the wife say ? :shock: I bet she just shook her head in disapproval.... :lol: this could never happen to me,,, Never ever..... You know why????? Because I have THICK SKIN...lol :lol:
Last edited by littlebeaver on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Breakdancer wrote:I used to work on Thermo Kings in Fresno back in 1980. We had to carry our most common tools around in a 5 gallon pail of water all day. If you left them in the sun for too long they were too hot to pick up. While changing a starter one day (which is located in the back of the unit and you can hardly even see it), I managed to get two nice cuts and a very nice burn on my forearm. :x NOT having a good day. Now it's over 100*f, I'm bleeding and in pain walking through the dust bowl of a yard to our parts trailer to get a new starter. I happen to see what I thought was an empty 35 gal drum laying on it's side. So I kick that thing about as hard as I could. Going for a fifty yard field goal.Well it wasn't empty, and when my steel toe boot folded back I thought I broke all 5 toes at the same time. :o I think I was limping for at least a week. Seems like some times when things are not going as they should it is best to walk away for awhile and regroup... or limp away. :lol:

let me ask you this......have you ever turned around to walk out of the bathroom barefooted from just getting out of the shower, misjudge where you were in relation to the wall and slam your foot against it? well, I have and broke my big toe :mrgreen:. you wanna talk about someone making up new 4 letter words? :evil: well, when I go for my eye surgery on Tuesday, i'll have the dr take a look at it. he might have to cut my hand open to get the piece of metal that's in it out.

in the mean time, im gonna have to sign off for a day or 2, trying to type is really hurting my hand since I cant use my fingers across every key on the board.

i'll be back in a couple of days once the swelling has gone down. im on some good antibiotics and pain meds. fill me in when I get back online.

stuart.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:18 pm

hey guys, im back, well, sorta kinda, its still really hard to type because my hand is still swollen and I cant spred my fingers across the keyboard, so im using the "h & p" (hunt and peck) method.

first let me just say thanks for all your kind words and the way you treated my wife yesterday, I really appreciate that.....wingadmin, I know that had to hurt, even LOOKING at hurts lol. I was saying just about the same thing you did, and before I could say the last couple of thoughts to myself, WHAM, I done doodit. attached to this posting is a pic of what my hand looks like today. its a little less swollen than yesterday and the pain has subsided a little thanks to the good pain and antibiotic meds the dr at the ER gave me :?. the only other problem is that on the x-rays, it does show a small shard of metal from the screwdriver tip still imbedded in my hand almost at the center of my palm. if I take some time to answer these posts, please bare with me, im not used to typing this slow. while im at the hospital on Tuesday, after my eye surgery, im going to talk with other doctors about what's gonna happen if they decide to remove the metal from my hand. the doctor at my local hospital was talking about cutting my hand open and getting the metal out then closing up my hand again. if I have to have it done, there goes my bike riding until July or august :cry:.

stuart.
Attachments

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:51 pm

It could be worse, it could rule you out for summer - oh, wait, it will be your summer. :twisted: Oh well, not much cold to go, so get better soon :D
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:57 pm

Oh man,, I wasn't making fun of your wife,, I just know my wife would have given me a slap in the back of the head if I did something to hurt myself, just kidding around ,, please do not take offense, I'm sorry man... :shock: sorry this happened to you....That's gotta hurt...

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 am

littlebeaver wrote:Oh man,, I wasn't making fun of your wife,, I just know my wife would have given me a slap in the back of the head if I did something to hurt myself, just kidding around ,, please do not take offense, I'm sorry man... :shock: sorry this happened to you....That's gotta hurt...

don't worry Beave, no offence taken. im more pissed at myself for being so stupid for letting something like this happen than anything else, because its something that could have been avoided had I listened to myself and put the damn thing in the vise instead of holding it in my hand. lol, yeah, it hurt, I didn't stop working on the bike though, I took the only thing I could find, a (dirty) shop rag, wrapped in into my hand and continued working on the bike. I pulled out the radio from the right upper fairing pocket, removed the old antenna cable, drilled a small hole just to the outside of the left signal housing on the fairing, mounted the antenna, buttoned everything up, came back into the house and showed my wife what happened and she said, "your an accident waiting to happen" lol. then I went to the hospital.

stuart.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”