Helmets

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Helmets

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:57 pm

So which one is your choice?

I'm having a hard time finding one in 4X gosh darn it :shock: ...what's you choice hat?

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Helmets

Postby redial » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 am

Hey LB, that's like asking what is the best underpants to wear! Some say none. Some say boxer (full face); some say Jockey (three-quarter); and some say Hipsters (half size). You have to find a helmet that fits your head, it is amazing the different shapes that the different manufacturers make.

I may purchase a full-face from Brand X, that just would not fit you (regardless of size). The best bet is to actually go and try them all on, but you might have to do some study first to find out who makes the 4x sizes and then limit your selection to those.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets/Big-Size-Helmets

The above site seems to have a range of brands, styles, and colours. Of course I like to stand out, so I like the yellow solids, or the white solids. Good luck, and let us know what you select.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:00 am

Yes, Redail is correct about varying head shapes, not just size. The major manufacturer's recognsise this and tend to supply helmets of various shapes specific to global regions. European head shapes are very different from Oriental head shapes, so if you are Japenese and living in France you might have to hunt round a bit, and vice versa. Unfortunately, trying on a helmet in the store can be confusing as new helmets tend to be a very tight fit and you never really know that you have got the best fit until you have worn the helmet for a year - unlike underpants.

I have always found Arai helmets to be really comfortable (eventually) though they are a tad expensive. They do provide some useful information here: - https://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=132 especially the info on removing cheek inserts when trying on a helmet, to ensure best fit.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 am

brettchallenger wrote:Unfortunately, trying on a helmet in the store can be confusing as new helmets tend to be a very tight fit and you never really know that you have got the best fit until you have worn the helmet for a year

I have to agree with this. I have three or four helmets around here that hurt my forehead if I wear them for long. They fit fine, or felt like it, when I bought them, but did not break in well. I had one helmet that fit like a glove when I bought it, fits like a glove now, and I can wear all day without even noticing it is there really, with a broken clasp. Bummer. I am still trying to find a replacement.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:09 am

I have a long oval shaped head, so both the back of my head and my forehead would get very sore after an hour or so. I loved my Shoei, but it killed my head.

I tried an Arai Profile, which is for my head shape, and it was like a miracle, so comfortable I can (and have) worn it for 20+ hours in a day. This is the last year for it (I replace them after 5 years), so my next helmet will be the Arai Signet Q Pro-Tour, which is the Profile replacement:

Arai Signet-Q Pro Tour Helmet

I tried one on at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show. I *love* the sun shield on it - when flipped up, as in the picture, it works as a visor. When flipped down, it covers the top 3/4 of the faceshield to block the sun, while giving you clear, unshaded view of your instruments.

So far I've only seen them in black with blue or green accents, which I'm not thrilled about. I'd rather have a bright color, and while the Arai rep at the show said it was available, I haven't seen it sold like that anywhere. If not, hopefully by this time next year, when I'm helmet shopping, it will be available in those colors.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:42 am

The reviews that I have read on this Arai, is that they are noisy. But I think that is with a lower windscreen than what a GW normally would have (except for the 1000). Just be aware of this, as it may affect you depending on where the wind his your helmet.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I have a long oval shaped head, so both the back of my head and my forehead would get very sore after an hour or so. I loved my Shoei, but it killed my head.

I tried an Arai Profile, which is for my head shape, and it was like a miracle, so comfortable I can (and have) worn it for 20+ hours in a day. This is the last year for it (I replace them after 5 years), so my next helmet will be the Arai Signet Q Pro-Tour, which is the Profile replacement:

I've only ever owned one bike that I paid more for than what that Arai costs :shock: :shock:
I want your old Profile when you replace it. No way could I ever afford a new Arai. Or Shoei. Or Nolan. Or Schuberth...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 pm

I've got a Tall Tulsa windshield, so there is very, very little wind, so helmet wind noise doesn't bother me as much anymore.

As for the cost...I've taken a knock to the head before on a bicycle crash that gave me a pretty good concussion, as well as had a helmet save my life after I got taken out by a pickup truck on my 750 Interceptor, so I'm pretty particular about my head and what protects it. I don't have a problem spending a little more to buy what I consider to be one of the best. :)

That said, the Arai helmets are the only helmets I've ever worn that fit my strange head shape so that I don't get hot spots after an hour or so.

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:42 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I've got a Tall Tulsa windshield, so there is very, very little wind, so helmet wind noise doesn't bother me as much anymore.

As for the cost...I've taken a knock to the head before on a bicycle crash that gave me a pretty good concussion, as well as had a helmet save my life after I got taken out by a pickup truck on my 750 Interceptor, so I'm pretty particular about my head and what protects it. I don't have a problem spending a little more to buy what I consider to be one of the best. :)

That said, the Arai helmets are the only helmets I've ever worn that fit my strange head shape so that I don't get hot spots after an hour or so.

I still want that old Profile if it's a size large...

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:56 pm

I need one less noisy and a lighter one would be nice... :D I don't really have a 4X...2X is my size..
Last edited by littlebeaver on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Absolutely love Arai helmets and Shoei has always been very nice too. When I did a lot of searching, reading and checking out of helmet sizing I found a lot of very detailed information. I learned a lot on proper fitment of a helmet and found that in general I always wore a slightly too large for my head helmet. Better than too tight I guess. With the info that I learned I was able to make a much more proper fitting helmet this time around. I'm sort of funny when it comes to helmets. I'll go budget on boots or gloves or jacket to a certain point but I dont mind spending money on a nice helmet. Mainly because it does me no good if I dont like to wear it (no helmet laws where I'm at) and having been down before I dont plan on ever doing it again without a helmet on.

As for wind noise I think some of it can come from when you open all the vents on a helmet, or if you get a lot of wind coming up from around your chin/neck area. I had a nice Shoei that had a lot of wind noise an highway speeds because all the wind was coming up around my neck. I think it was because my helmet was slightly large on my head. It had decent cheek pads but they didn't come around enough towards my neck. Some of it may come from windshield height if it focuses turbulance at just the right spot to give you too much wind at the wrong area.

The helmet I wear now is an Arai RX-Q. Amazingly light and very comfortable. Has excellent ventilation but its very quiet at highway speeds with the visor down. Added a dark smoke visor. And it has nice speaker pockets for Sena SMH10 speakers. Its was expensive but its like a hand made helmet. Has removable liner parts so it can be washed or replaced. Has adjustable cheek pads as well. Its so comfortable I hope to get many seasons of riding with it. Ordered it thru Revzilla last year. So now I am thinking about buying a modular or another full face helmet. Considering possibly a Neotech. Shuberth makes some really nice modulars but they are definitely the high end. I've never had a modular and just not sure I want to invest that much without ever having owned a modular before. Nolan is having closeout on one of there popular modulars. Have been watching Revzilla to see if they had any smokin deals. So far still searching.

My advice to anybody shopping for a new helmet is educate yourself before spending your hard earned money. You might not know how to chose a proper fitting helmet right now and don't trust the guys at stores to be knowledgeable enough to help you figure it out. Some of the salespeople may have been trained and some probably not. Trying them on at the store is good but you might be like me and just chosing a size that fits a little too loose on my head. Helmets should be slightly snug. You may have a round head like me but really like a narrow oval shaped helmet that would never be comfortable on your noggin. One of the reasons I chose an RX-Q is because it was one of the helmets that fit well on a round head.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”