It is time to say goodbye.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
SteveKon
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A
1993 GL1500 SE Totaled 4/4/14

It is time to say goodbye.

Postby SteveKon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Having ridden motorcycles from my early teens into my late fifties, it is with a heavy heart that I have decided to hang it up.
Last year I was involved in 2 accidents while riding my motorcycle. The first one happened in April on my 93 GL1500 SE on the way to work. An SUV at a stop sign pulled out in front of me, I hit the front driver side fender and went flying over the hood, slid on my back and came to rest on my left side. As I laid there I took an inventory of my body parts and found that everything seem to be find except for my right foot which was pointing off at an odd angle and concluded that my lower right leg was broken. The only other damage that I could see was blood from my right thumb. It was a bright sunny morning with the sun to back and the driver said she didn’t see me. It ended up that both bones in my lower right leg were broken at 3 locations, nicked the top tendon of my right thumb and had a slight fracture in my right shoulder. All in all I felt very lucky that it wasn’t worse.
Recovery time was 5 to 6 months. I spent this time trying to decide if I still wanted to ride motorcycles or not. I stated looking at the 3-wheel Spiders but decided I still wanted 2 wheels and bought a 05 GL1800 at the end of August.
It was Monday evening of Thanksgiving week on my way home. I was coming into an intersection with a green light when this car from the other direction turned left on a red light into the intersection I hit the car on the passenger side. Speed was low enough that I didn’t fly over the car but got thrown into the windshield and then fell off the right on to my hip and elbow. I walked away from this accident but did have a cut above my right eye that required 5 stiches and my right hip was badly bruised. Again I felt very lucky that I was not seriously injured. The bike was totaled.
Since then I have been doing some deep soul searching and talking things over with my wife, who is tired of getting phone calls from strangers saying that “your husband has been in a motorcycle accident” and meeting me at the ER, have decided that I have been very lucky and to hang it up while I am still of sound mind and body.
As motorcyclist we are always weighing the risk vs the pleasure that we get from riding. After this last year, for me, the risk is greater than the pleasure and now I fear that if I have a 3rd accident I may not be so lucky and I don’t want to put my wife and family through that kind of pain.
So now my new toy is a Mazda Miata. This is a nice compromise and with the top down I can still enjoy those pleasures that I got from riding. While 4 wheels are the same as 2, for me this is close enough.
Sorry for the long dialog but wanted to share my reasons for leaving. To All motorcyclists, may God watch over you and keep you safe in all your travels. He has for me, but I dare not push it.

Take care,
Steve K

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Re: It is time to say goodbye.

Postby ka4yqi » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Sometime a fellow is just got to do some soul searching to do what he think is right and good for him and the family. I hate that you giving up the bike, but a top down on a miata might be close. I have the Suzuki Samurai's for that, but it is just not the same for me yet. So I still doing the 2 wheel thing and saving the samurais that. Don't leave us just because you not riding, we still need info and friends to bounce ideas off of. So come on back and let us know how you and the wife are doing.

Steve in Georgia

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks man, you can still hang out and post from time to time....Just because you don't ride anymore doesn't mean anything..... Sorry about your accident, I just learned a friend on another site got a brain injury in his crash, crap man, that's not good....I would take it as a sign to quit riding too I think.. You live down around the Austin area where they drive like maniacs anyway... Only crash I ever had was by a lady that pulled out in front of me at a Y shaped intersection she had a stop sign at the right side of the Y where it curves up I was traveling up to the top of the Y to the right with no stop sign,, she assumed I was going left and pulled right out in front of me,,, 1980 corolla got smashed......If I was riding the bike I would be hurt badly or even dead.. :shock: Stupid freakin people out there man...there I said it...They don't pay attention to what they are doing..It's only worse now with these phones...San Antonio passed a law that you have to have both hands on the wheel,, Holding nothing in your hands when you drive...So far I think it's just SA.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

I, for one, understand your decision, which is personal to you. We all have to make it sooner or later, I guess. So far, I have not been in that position, although I thought I was, about 27 years ago. In July 1989, I was struck from behind, on Interstate 25, in Denver, CO. A 1979 baby blue Cadillac was the car, and it was a hit and run. It took a bunch of my friends and I, with the help of others, to locate the person who had been driving across the U.S. from Florida to Utah and back, running motorcycles off the road for sport. Nuff said. My wife had to come from south of Albuquerque with the truck to pick up the bike and me. At that time, considering her mental state over the whole thing, I told her that if she wanted me to, I would give up riding and get rid of the motorcycles - all of them. She told me that I did not even need to consider it, as she already had become used to the idea that I would probably come to my early end riding. Riding was who I was, and she accepted it. I rebuilt that motorcycle and I still have it.

In July of 1990, I hit a Dodge Caravan, hardly damaging the motorcycle (different bike from above) but almost losing my left leg. My wife took one look at my face and said - "don't even offer, because my answer will be the same as a year ago, but maybe you should start being a bit more careful". I laughed loud and long. And I have since been more careful, although it was hard. I love to hot rod. If I ever get to where my reaction time is too slow to avoid those cagers, I will probably make the same decision you have felt you had to. Sorry to lose a riding compadre. The best to you in the future, and as mentioned above, you can still return here and regale us with stories.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

suvcw04
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800 Lehman Trike

Postby suvcw04 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Everyone has to do what is best for them. I've had a few close calls and two actual crashes on bikes. None were my fault, but they make you think. As I point my front wheel down my driveway, I always ask myself, "What do you think? Are you coming home when this is over?" I also turn invisible. If you are absolutely certain that other drivers can't see you, you ride differently. It has worked for me since 1966. I hope it holds up a few more years.

Good luck to you.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:29 pm

hey SteveK, you have to do what you think in your mind and heart to be what's best for you. please feel free to come back in here from time to time even if its just to say "HEY". trust me, we wont hold it against you. where ever your path takes you , I wish you all the best in the world even if its on 4 wheels.

stuart.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:42 pm

Good luck Steve. Be safe.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Wait....doesn't a Miata fall under "Other bikes"??? The engine size is about the same as a big wing....makes sense to me ;)

Enjoy your new drive Steve....look all ways before turning!

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:20 am

Best of luck to you and your new ride, you may be four-wheeled, but your motorcycling happy memories will still stay with you.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:31 am

Ohhhhh, I think we are talking to a ghost....lol :shock: He said goodbye,, perhaps he will never read this stuff... :shock: don't goodbye mean ,,, like,,,, Goodbye.. :shock: ooooohhhh

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Ohhhhh, I think we are talking to a ghost....lol :shock: He said goodbye,, perhaps he will never read this stuff... :shock: don't goodbye mean ,,, like,,,, Goodbye.. :shock: ooooohhhh

That's what I say you said.

See Ya, TooDooLoo, Bye, Laters etc. NOT goodbye, it's sounds too permanent.
Of all the old movies I watched, when they said goodbye, it was there last meeting.
:(
You've accumulated knowledge, keep sharing SteveKon.
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:11 am

I respect your choice. I owned a MG (1970 model) many moons ago, and if driving a Miata is anything like driving that old British sport car, I'm jealous already.

I imagine we've all had moments (maybe longer than moments?) where a particularly close call or a crash has left us soul searching about our continued future as motorcycle riders. I won't tell you that I didn't have some serious thoughts about hanging up the keys after colliding with a deer or after a series of very close encounters with vehicles with 4 wheels.

I've been more fortunate than you in that my close encounters didn't result in collisions... probably because I live and ride in a much more lightly populated part of the country and I rarely am exposed to the concentration of fools that many of you live and ride through daily. Anyone who is involved in a crash as bad as several of you have experienced, and who continue to saddle up are men (and women) to whom I take my hat off in respect. Those of you who have decided that enough is enough, also have my respect for making the decision that is right for you. No one can tell us when it is time to put away the MC for the last time. It is decision, like what brand or style of motorcycle we choose to ride, that no one else can make for us. If family or friends try to force us to do what "they" want, we'll resent it for as long as it takes for us to come to terms with the choice... until we make the choice and own it as our own.

My only regret is, there will be one less motorcycle rider out on the road that I might have otherwise had an opportunity to wave at, talk to or exchange stories of the road with at some chance meeting somewhere. Like several of the others here have written, I do hope you left your account active, and you see these responses to your goodbye... I won't say goodbye, I'll say until we meet again. Each time I see a Miata convertible, I'll be thinking of today... Happy Trails my friend, until we meet again...

Hawk
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:12 am

very well put hawkeye.

stuart.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:23 am

roadwanderer2 wrote:very well put hawkeye.

stuart.

You beat me to it Stuart, I was just about to say the same thing!
I wish you all the best in the future Steve. That must have been one of the most difficult decisions that you've ever made. It's taken a lot of strength to make that decision, and honestly I'm not sure that I would have it in me to make the same move, until maybe it was too late.
Thirty-seven years ago, when I'd only been riding a short while, I was stopped at a red light. I was alone, with no passenger. There was a van stopped five feet behind me. A car hit the rear end of the van at an estimated 45 mph. The van was driven into the rear end of my motorcycle, destroyed the back end, and most of the passenger part of the seat. I was pushed ahead, out into the intersection. Luckily there was no cars in a position to hit me, and I didn't even drop my motorcycle. Ten years later I had an almost identical mishap, only this time I was in my car, with no van behind me, and a pick-up truck ran into the back of me at an estimated 50 mph. I woke up two days later in ICU, spent six weeks in the hospital, and six months off work.
I sometimes wonder what would have been my best move. Stop riding? Stop driving? I honestly don't know. Maybe I'm in denial of some sort, or maybe I'm just stupid. At any rate Steve, I admire your strength to do what you believe is best for you and your family.
Not so much on the highways of course, but on the many rides I've taken on nice slow country backroads, there's been times when someone in an oncoming convertible has waved to me, and I've waved back. It's a beautiful thing Steve.

Gimme a wave...................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:35 am

I've only gone down only once in my motorcycle ridings,(1983), and it hurt. it took 5 months to recover. my first thought was to get rid of my bike, which I did. I traded it for a '74 Lincoln town car. I figured if I fell off of that, I was in deep s**t lol. my mom was also happy I decided to give up motorcycles as her being a nurse, she has seen what can happen to riders. I made her a promise that while she was still alive, I wouldn't get another bike, and I held myself to that promise. it wasn't until a year after she passed did I get a "few" more bikes as you can see by my previous ones with the exception of my first brand new bike which after putting over 11,000 miles on it I went down on.

the only thing I can say is you'll know when its time to hang it up and walk away. hopefully you CAN walk away when the time comes. for now, I have no intentions of stopping my riding. I love it. being out there in the open, feeling the wind at my face and the sense of being free from any encumbrances that a cage has is the, (in my opinion) one of the greatest feelings in the world.

stuart.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:14 am

Good for you, for taking that decision based on reflection and analysis. It's a very personal decision, as others have said, and you should own it - and enjoy the path you've decided to take.

I have driven a Miata, and I am envious - they are a super fun car, and may even one day find one in my own garage.

Thanks for sharing, Steve.

SteveKon
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800A
1993 GL1500 SE Totaled 4/4/14

Postby SteveKon » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Hello to all and thank you for your replies.
I had to go out of town was unable to to get back on the site until now.
If the 2nd accident had not happen so close to the 1st, 6 months apart, I would still be riding. I figured after the 1st accident "OK, I got this out of the way and most likly won't have another one for many years if ever". I was wrong.
The reality of it is, that when ever we go out on the road, in a car or on a bike, our chance of being in an accident is the same. If that accident happens while your on a bike, you get the worst end of the deal.
I'll back from time to time to see how you'll are doing. If you are cursing through the Texas hill country a guy in green miata waves at you, it will be me.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:35 pm

hey Steve, i'll be sure to wave back ya buddy.

stuart.

maverickboardman
Motorcycle: 2005 gl1800 goldwing trike also Honda 1300VTX

Postby maverickboardman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm new to the site, but your posting and all the replys say to me what a GREAT group of riders i've joined. I understand only far to well never being involved in an accident in all my riding of motorcycles 2 wheel type, several years back we had our Yamaha Venture triked (right knee surgery ) so we could continue the Journey feeling much safer we rode all over the south and area. February 28th 2013 my wife and I go for what turned out to a bad evening ride just a short ride nice cool night. struck head on by a car trama hawaked 2 seperate helicopters and many many surgeries later (head face hips arms you name it) wife really got the worst and then came the $$$ bills haha well we both love being out on the road and NOW we had to make the decision like Steve. With 2 daughter and the hospital visits all the friends and fellow riders it tooks some time but with our girls blessing the Journey continues we got a new Goldwing Trike, we both have retired (that was a major accomplishment) and heading out to live the DREAM.. Steve and all the Steve's out their hope to join you one day just not to soooon enjoy life! will see ya down the road we will be in the bright yellow Corvette Rick & Dale

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:27 am

It really is a shame that you have to give up doing something that you obviously enjoyed because of other peoples carelessness. The risk vs. reward decision is a tough enough one for motorcyclists to make, especially for a long time rider. Don't look back...enjoy your new ride and best wishes to you!

made2care
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Postby made2care » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 am

Goodbye and good luck

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

With your history of broken legs etc you're lucky you can actually get into a Miata (MX-5 in Europe). They are great little motors but never break down. Get yourself an old MG and you will never be short of something to do.

Sorry you are leaving two wheels; though I can fully understand why.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:01 pm

I got it ,,and i understand ,, i had the same feeling when i was flying around in my Cessana 175 .It was just a gut feeling that said enough ,,A few days after i sold the plane she crashed with the new owner .Nobody was hurt to bad but the plane was toast .. It could have been me . As for giving up bikes ,i will not hesitate to give it up if i get that same feeling . So far all is good ,,close calls but never a hit . So like all the others ,keep in contact with us guys and girls here .. Let us know how the new car is doing . And dont forget to lean a little every time you go around a corner . Stay Safe .Brent
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:58 pm

brentsboats wrote:I got it ,,and i understand ,, i had the same feeling when i was flying around in my Cessana 175 .It was just a gut feeling that said enough ,,A few days after i sold the plane she crashed with the new owner .Nobody was hurt to bad but the plane was toast .. It could have been me . As for giving up bikes ,i will not hesitate to give it up if i get that same feeling . So far all is good ,,close calls but never a hit . So like all the others ,keep in contact with us guys and girls here .. Let us know how the new car is doing . And dont forget to lean a little every time you go around a corner . Stay Safe .Brent

speaking of leaning into a turn or around a corner, I find myself doing that while driving my wife's car sometimes and even riding towards the center line thinking im still on my bike lol.

stuart.

Iaustin
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

Postby Iaustin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Happy touring the people who sold me my 1200 inerstate were retired and had bought a white convertible to replace the wing

Return to “Goldwing Chat”