Admins. Car

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Admins. Car

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Wing Admins. how are you liking that hybrid car you bought so far, or is it total electric? I have been so curious about this...Is it mostly used just for commuting to work? Is there plenty of room in it? Any pro or cons you wanta share? Would you buy another one ? Anyone else around here have one of those....You were the first person I thought of when I saw that Harrisons Fords plane went down...Yikes :shock: ... That's a lucky dude....after seeing the sky view of the crash site he was such a lucky man,, houses all around the entire area except that one little area...Wow... :shock:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Admins. Car

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:27 am

littlebeaver wrote:Wing Admins. how are you liking that hybrid car you bought so far, or is it total electric? I have been so curious about this...Is it mostly used just for commuting to work? Is there plenty of room in it? Any pro or cons you wanta share? Would you buy another one ? Anyone else around here have one of those....You were the first person I thought of when I saw that Harrisons Fords plane went down...Yikes :shock: ... That's a lucky dude....after seeing the sky view of the crash site he was such a lucky man,, houses all around the entire area except that one little area...Wow... :shock:

It is a plug-in hybrid, a Ford C-Max Energi. It will run about 28 miles on electric only, or about half that in winter - it uses electricity to heat the cabin if the engine isn't running, which cuts into the power available to drive the car.

The main use for it is commuting, yes, and I can get to and from work (just barely) on a full charge, without using the gas engine. So for this reason, I often go for quite some time without having the engine run at all. In the winter of course, it runs more often. I've had it on some long road trips as well, which obviously runs on the engine.

I just ticked over 20,000 miles a few weeks ago, of which just over 7,000 miles were on the engine, and the remaining electric only.

It's quite spacious inside, although the battery does cut into the rear storage area - but I've never thought; "I wish I had more storage." With the rear seats down, it's cavernous. It's quite tall inside - I'm six feet tall, and I have a good 4-5 inches of room above my head when sitting in it.

As for Harrison Ford and his choice of landing spots, that's not luck, that's training and preparation. He flew out of that airport often, so like any pilot would, he would have analyzed his choice of off-airport landing spots beforehand and planned for this eventuality, so that in case of an emergency, he would know exactly what he was going to do, instead of trying to figure it out at the time.

He did lose the landing gear on the plane and skidded it in, and by the looks of the cant of the engine, at the end of the slide it dug in its nose, lifted the tail up, then came back down. This was the "extremely lucky" part of the incident - being an open-cockpit airplane with no roll protection, it's very likely that if it had flipped over entirely, he would not have survived. This is actually a common cause of fatalities in open-cockpit airplanes, and is why a lot of them have roll bars/protection installed.

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special).

Postby brettchallenger » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 am

The C-Max is a popular car in Europe but is not (as yet) available as a hybrid, my wife has petrol version though diesels are by far the most common. The European version has an extra row of folding seats, nominally making it a seven seater, although this third row of seats can really only accommodate children. It looks like Ford have utilised this for the battery space in the hybrid version.
The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 am

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ive-review Not sure what year model you have but, I'm sniffin around again... :D We love going to car shows as in new autos, the wife and I get to sit in all the cars and see how we fit.... we loved the looks of the Chrysler 300 several years ago but once we sat in it :shock: , it didn't compare to our Impala...It's amazing the things you may find that you don't care for when you get to take your time investigating, without having a salesman breathing down your neck .. :D I have learned that I myself would be my best salesman...

Return to “Goldwing Chat”