GL1000 Tires

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

GL1000 Tires

Postby Solina Dave » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:59 pm

What brands of tires do you use on your GL1000, and why do you use them? If you've been using the same ones for a long time, what is the attraction in them? For example, handling, braking, longevity, ride (soft, hard, noisy), performance in the rain. Just any reasons you can give. Or do you think that they're all about the same, and price is the most relevant factor?
I've used Bridgestone Spitfire II tires for many years. I used Dunlops originally, when my GL was new, and a few different ones that I don't remember for many years after that. Avons and Continentals probably, and others. Then one day I tried the Bridgestone tires. I gave them a pretty good workout, and I could hardly believe what a feeling of confidence they gave me in the way they handled. There was a significant improvement in the way I could feel the road, generating more positive control. It sounds kind of corny, but it kind of freed me up, by making me feel more secure.
I think that it's probably a very personal thing, just like riding a GL1000.

Just curious.........................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: GL1000 Tires

Postby redial » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:45 am

When I was riding a GL1000, I had a Metzler on the back, which performed really well. Had a different brand on the front, but cannot remember what brand. It was an excellent machine - as the saying goes:"An oldie, but a goldie!"
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Re: GL1000 Tires

Postby Solina Dave » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 am

redial wrote:When I was riding a GL1000, I had a Metzler on the back, which performed really well. Had a different brand on the front, but cannot remember what brand. It was an excellent machine - as the saying goes:"An oldie, but a goldie!"

By today's standards, and the levels of performance that Goldwings have achieved currently, maybe not so much. However, I agree with you 100% Len, when you say, "it was an excellent machine", and your comment about them being "an oldie, but goldie" is right on. Just like Rock 'n' Roll, they changed the world!

Rock on!!...........................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”