What's in your arsenal? (fluids, lubes, etc)

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

What's in your arsenal? (fluids, lubes, etc)

Postby alastair.kj » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Following some DIYs and and tutorials, I constantly come across some products that I don't always consider before taking on a task, such as greases and fluids, locktites and tools. Basically, things that aren't your typical wrenches and drivers.

Makes me wish I had all those types of things on hand. I want to stock up.

So with that in mind, what is in your arsenal? What are the things that you try to always have on hand/in your work space (like a baker's pantry) when doing any work on your bike? Feel free to include favorite brands and other specifics that you feel are important.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your responses!

Cheers

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: What's in your arsenal? (fluids, lubes, etc)

Postby dingdong » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 am

The right tool for the job. My first priority would be a good set of JIS screw drivers. Torque wrench. "T" handle Allen drivers. Impact driver. I like to keep a good spray de-greaser handy as well as a can of CRC brake cleaner for cleaning parts. Some of the cheaper brands contain acetone which will dissolve paint. The list is long.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

alastair.kj

Postby alastair.kj » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply. I was told, before I even bought my bike that one of the most important tools I could own is a good impact driver and I honestly have only ever taken it out of it's box to look at. I haven't needed it a single time.

If you use the CRC brake cleaner or one that does NOT contain acetone, what, if any parts, should definitely still be AVOIDED with the spray? Brake pads seems obvious, but anything else?

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 am

I haven't and wouldn't intentionally use it on painted parts but I have gotten it on paint without damage. I use it on any metal or rubber parts for cleaning. I also use it for cleaning my wheels. Cleans the road grime as well as brake dust from them.
I don't use my impact driver much either but there have been a few times when it was necessary to complete the job.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 am

I could have a toolbox the size of Wall-mart packed with every conceivable tool for working on a Goldwing, and that one gauge, wrench, or whatever that I need to finish the project will, of course, be missing. :x
I can count on at least one trip to the parts store to pick up said item.
Garage gremlins, I assume, are responsible for this pilfering :twisted: !
Regards, Johnny

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Bottle of white vinegar. Cleans parts really good.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Hey there Alastair, I have many potions in my workshop
BrakeClean ...... for degreaseing most everything, kills wasps dead too.
Brake fluid.......self explanatory!
Cutting fluids.... both steel and aluminum.
Lemon pledge...... cleans windshield and the rest of the bike.even used it as tire lube for mounting
Penetrating oils..... I like PB blaster but most any will help
Silicon spray lube
Litium spray lube
Graphite spray lube ..... for cables
Various greases.... wheel bearing grease, chassis grease, silicon grease, dialectic grease etc....
Various solvents. WD40 belongs here as it is a pretty good solvent for many things but is a lousy lube.
acetone,MEK,Varsol,kerosene,paint thinner, alcohol etc.
Many different paints.
CRC electrical contact cleaner.
ABS solvent cement ....... to repair the tupperware.
KY jelly.... its a good water soluble lube for certain rubber parts that might be affected by petroleum lube
Contact cement ..... for the weater stripping
3M double sided mounting tape.
Permatex
Loctite..... various types

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure there are alot more out there but that shiuld give you some ideas and will help empty your wallet some. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm a chemical kind of guy... with lots of tools... and I keep liquid though helper for when the job is done.

My two cents - Buy quality tools. They don't have to be tool truck stuff... but I buy Canadian Tire Mastercraft Maximum or Napa Ultra-pro before I buy Power-fist or such. You'll still never have enough... I don't. Find a good carb balancer - it will save you the price of a balance on the first go.

One of my go-to chemicals is Wynn's Nut Buster - it will often destroy rust on a nut and let you loosen it without breaking.
Attachments
Chemical Closet- I've added more
Chemical Closet- I've added more
Liquid tools - very important!!!
Liquid tools - very important!!!
This is mostly full - and I still keep adding.
This is mostly full - and I still keep adding.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

alastair.kj

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:04 pm

RoadRoague and Oldbear,

Thanks so much for the thorough answers! That's what I'm looking for.
I went out and got a couple greases this weekend (white lithium and disc/drum brake high heat). I also bought a MityVac which I am excited to use! Just finished rebuilding a brake caliper. Will bleed tomorrow.
It's so exciting to get things done!

Cheers

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm surprised people have not chimed in with what I think is the most important fluid of all that is absolutely vital to carry on your bike, to help the most important part of the bike operate correctly: water. I carry a liter container of water in my trunk at all times. Should I be broken down somewhere on a hot day, it would really take a very little amount of time to become dehydrated. I know quite a few times when riding on a hot day, I've pulled over, opened my trunk, and taken a long slug from my water supply, just to keep me going and properly hydrated. On really hot days, or on long trips, I will carry two or three times this much.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:59 pm

The two bags on either side of the rear back rest are for water bottles and such.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

alastair.kj wrote:... What are the things that you try to always have on hand/in your work space (like a baker's pantry) when doing any work on your bike? Feel free to include favorite brands and other specifics that you feel are important.

Cheers

I always have a gallon or two of my favorite engine oil and one or two filters for each of my wings.
I keep Honda Moly grease on hand.
I keep Red, Blue and Green Loctite on hand. I make sure it is not used near the ABS plastic parts.
I keep dielectric silicone grease on hand.
I keep Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, Laquer Thinner and Mineral Spirits on the shelf.
A sealed/unopened bottle of DOT4 brake fluid is usually on the shelf.
I have a few cans of CRC Electronic Cleaner and a can of CRC ELECTRICAL GRADE 2-26 Precision Lubricant.
A can of Spray Silicone.
I have Hi-Temp RTV (silicone seal), Black, Gray and Clear RTV.
I keep both Plastex and Plastaid plastic repair kits on hand.

I always have Solder, Non-corrosive flux and an ample supply of shrinkable tubing in multiple sizes and colors.
I have a supply of various gauges of stranded automotive wire in various colors.
I have a box of Honda (Hitachi type) connectors to make wiring additions and changes to the wing.
I also keep extra light bulbs on hand for just about any light assembly on the bikes.
I keep a large supply of metric and standard stainless bolts, screws, nuts and washers.

I have wheel bearings, seals, bearing grease, and several wheel valve stems, wheel weights and balance beads on hand (I change my own tires).

Really.. too much stuff I guess but I typically work on the motorcycles when the auto and motorcycle supply stores are closed.
I like having supplies and parts handy for just about any kind of work.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

alastair.kj

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 pm

MikeB wrote:
alastair.kj wrote:... What are the things that you try to always have on hand/in your work space (like a baker's pantry) when doing any work on your bike? Feel free to include favorite brands and other specifics that you feel are important.

Cheers

I always have a gallon or two of my favorite engine oil and one or two filters for each of my wings.
I keep Honda Moly grease on hand.
I keep Red, Blue and Green Loctite on hand. I make sure it is not used near the ABS plastic parts.
I keep dielectric silicone grease on hand.
I keep Acetone, Denatured Alcohol, Laquer Thinner and Mineral Spirits on the shelf.
A sealed/unopened bottle of DOT4 brake fluid is usually on the shelf.
I have a few cans of CRC Electronic Cleaner and a can of CRC ELECTRICAL GRADE 2-26 Precision Lubricant.
A can of Spray Silicone.
I have Hi-Temp RTV (silicone seal), Black, Gray and Clear RTV.
I keep both Plastex and Plastaid plastic repair kits on hand.

I always have Solder, Non-corrosive flux and an ample supply of shrinkable tubing in multiple sizes and colors.
I have a supply of various gauges of stranded automotive wire in various colors.
I have a box of Honda (Hitachi type) connectors to make wiring additions and changes to the wing.
I also keep extra light bulbs on hand for just about any light assembly on the bikes.
I keep a large supply of metric and standard stainless bolts, screws, nuts and washers.

I have wheel bearings, seals, bearing grease, and several wheel valve stems, wheel weights and balance beads on hand (I change my own tires).

Really.. too much stuff I guess but I typically work on the motorcycles when the auto and motorcycle supply stores are closed.
I like having supplies and parts handy for just about any kind of work.

Some day I'll have all of this, plus Oldbear's toolboxes.. a boy can only dream.
Where do you get all your connectors and wires and whatnot? I plan on someday (maybe next winter) rewiring everything..

Also, thanks again everyone for chiming in.
WingAdmin, +1 on the water, for sure. I learned real quick how thirsty I get when I ride and that I need to have water on hand at all times. Nothing to dampen the mood than dried, stingy lips and pasty mouth.

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 pm

The Honda Hitachi style connectors came from Electrical connection. Wire can be picked up at any auto supply or electrical supply store. Pick up some wire-tie wraps, also called cable ties or zip ties while you are there, They come in handy.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

marvincshepard
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing

Postby marvincshepard » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:17 am

Your right on the water.I wasn't even thinking outside the box when you posed the question. I always keep a bottle of smart water. The bottle is of good quality . And who would refuse some more smarts! Thanks
Marvin (Shep) Shepard

mikemajor
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Postby mikemajor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:16 am

I always carry FW1 high performance cleaning wax on trips. It works on every part of the bike (windshield, plastic, paint etc…)
You can buy it online at Costco, once you've tried this wax, you're addicted...

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:05 am

marvincshepard wrote:Your right on the water.I wasn't even thinking outside the box when you posed the question. I always keep a bottle of smart water. The bottle is of good quality . And who would refuse some more smarts! Thanks

Did I miss something? Wasn't this about having materials on hand in your respective work shops, not what you carry on the bike?
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

mikemajor
Motorcycle: 2012 gl1800

Postby mikemajor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:48 am

Sorry, I understood on hand or in your workshop…
Anyhow, I always keep it on hand.

drtjr
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby drtjr » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am

Oldbear,

I really like your hinged (or it looks like it does) chemical storage. And it will swing out of the way to get behind it. This could be put on the front or back of a closet door or fixed in front of shelving.

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 am

I found that having a supply of Dupont Krytox grease on hand is a plus. I didn't replace all the lube points on the bikes that take grease with Krytox when I got it, but when I'm working on one and have to remove a greased fitting, such as a u-joint or a rear drive, I'll use the Krytox during reassembly. It's an incredible synthetic "grease" and one application can last nearly a lifetime. Initial cost is high, but never having to grease a fitting again is worth it to me. You can read about it here: http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US ... tions.html. You can find the best prices here: http://www.miller-stephenson.com/?gclid ... gQodZJ8Asw.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Wingadmin, the water was my first thought when you posed the question. What's in my arsenal varies depending on the weather and whether or not I am riding or at home. I always keep;
water
WD-40
anti seize compound
moly lube
several different oils and greases
thread locker
several different polishes and waxes
commercial parts washing vat/degreaser

One of the things in my arsenal is several tubes of dielectric grease so that anytime I take any part of my bike apart I put some dielectric grease in every electrical connector in that area, whether it is being disconnected for the job or not.

Tools on hand are just about anything you can think of. Two Snap-on tool boxes filled with equipment to work on anything from bicycles to semi trucks/trailers. drill presses, 12 ton hydraulic press, pretty much everything except that I can't seem to find any JIS screwdrivers around here.

Those who say it can't be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it!!

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:07 am

One particular grease that I try to keep on hand, if I can find it anywhere, is elbow grease.
Also having said that, what lubricant would you suggest using on the multi-contact plastic plugs that are everywhere? Maybe a spray would be easiest. Obviously it would be something that wouldn't interfere with conductivity. Sometimes I feel like Houdini, trying to get the damn things open.
Thanks...................................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

Return to “Goldwing Chat”