New to Goldwings and looking for a little advice!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
jeffandsharon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard with GL1100I hard "saddlebags" and trunk, and, fairing of unknown origin

New to Goldwings and looking for a little advice!

Postby jeffandsharon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Greetings and thanks everyone in advance for all the great reading and tech info!

I am a new Goldwing owner, but, not new to motorcycles. I used to own a Harley full dress Electra Glide, but, it became too costly to operate maintenance wise, (It was a shovel head...) So, I just took ownership of a 1982 GL1100 with 66k original miles. I will be doing the timing belts and full fluid and filter changes as well as a tune up and carb sync before I go anywhere on it as it has been stored for some time. It does start, and runs like a top, but because I have no idea as to the maintenance schedule since 2004 (when it was last licensed) I will not take any chances... Tires will also be replaced. Enough rambling, let me get to my reason for posting.

After I get everything in to top shape I am planning to go from Eugene, Oregon to Green Bay, Wisconsin this July. That old Harley I had was a real vibrator and 350 to 450 miles a day was about all I could stand. My questions to the group here are:

a.) How many miles a day do you cover in good weather riding 2 up, taking rest and meal stops?

b.) What sort of fuel mileage can I expect?

c.) I am thinking about pulling a small trailer, and for those of you who do pull a trailer, what is a good rule of thumb as far as max trailer weight (trailer and cargo)? I think all I will have in the trailer will be a suitcase, my little dog in her kennel, dog food and water, and a few snacks for myself. Oh, and a spare set of sparkplugs, motor oil and filter, and a fuel filter and a 2 gallon gas can.

Any advice or input to the above would be greatly appreciated, and, thank you all again in advance

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Re: New to Goldwings and looking for a little advice!

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:29 pm

ok, let me start off by saying welcome to the wonderful world of Goldwings. now to the heart of the matter.........I did a ride from here in Tennessee in the middle of June last year solo, total mileage was just under 900 miles. I stopped at every rest area along the interstates, (roughly 65 miles apart) for about 20 minutes, eating was when ever I got hungry. I did the ride in 2/450 miles@ 7 hours each runs stopping in a motel just above the Florida border for the night and continuing on the next day for the rest of my ride down to the Florida keys. if your riding 2 up, you might want to take more time. my fuel mileage was excellent, the entire ride cost me just under $75.00 and that was using premium fuel. as for the trailer, I have a 40" x 49" H F utility trailer that I put an old sears plastic roof top cargo box onto, (my avatar is a photo of my bike and trailer). the trailer weighs approx. 122lbs with a pay load of another 250lbs,(I wouldn't put anything more than that in it because, anything over that could cause the bike to get a little "squirrely". you MUST keep your speed UNDER 63mph otherwise the trailer will start to swing back and forth and make the back of the bike "fishtail" to the point of getting out of control, at least that's what I found out with mine. the trailer, harbor freight item is Haul-Master - item#42708 has a total load weight of 870lb capacity, but just because it says it can hold that much weight, I wouldn't advise doing that. if your pulling it behind a car, that's a different story, but not behind a bike.

hope this helps ya.

stuart.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:59 pm

jeffandsharon wrote:Greetings and thanks everyone in advance for all the great reading and tech info!

I am a new Goldwing owner, but, not new to motorcycles. I used to own a Harley full dress Electra Glide, but, it became too costly to operate maintenance wise, (It was a shovel head...) So, I just took ownership of a 1982 GL1100 with 66k original miles. I will be doing the timing belts and full fluid and filter changes as well as a tune up and carb sync before I go anywhere on it as it has been stored for some time. It does start, and runs like a top, but because I have no idea as to the maintenance schedule since 2004 (when it was last licensed) I will not take any chances... Tires will also be replaced. Enough rambling, let me get to my reason for posting.
First of all , Welcome to the forum. This is a great place to learn about your new bike. There is an amazing wealth of info here from a very diverse group of riders.
After I get everything in to top shape I am planning to go from Eugene, Oregon to Green Bay, Wisconsin this July. That old Harley I had was a real vibrator and 350 to 450 miles a day was about all I could stand. My questions to the group here are:
There are alot of factors that will determine your actual results for these questions
a.) How many miles a day do you cover in good weather riding 2 up, taking rest and meal stops?
miles in a day is related to average speed , depends alot on how good your seat is. Stock seats are not the most comfortable for most people after a few hrs. I have a Corbin seat that is comfy for 12-16 hrs before I do the butt squirm thing.A sheep skin will make any seat more comfy. You have to work your way up to the longer rides, dont expect to do 500 mile days right away.you need to develop your "iron butt"
b.) What sort of fuel mileage can I expect?
Fuel mileage is directly related to speed, up to 60mph you should see 40-45 mpg, about 200 miles per tank. This will drop the faster you go. Big windshield cut gas mileage but add comfort. The more weight you carry, 1up vs.2up will affect mileage some but not as much as speed does.
c.) I am thinking about pulling a small trailer, and for those of you who do pull a trailer, what is a good rule of thumb as far as max trailer weight (trailer and cargo)? I think all I will have in the trailer will be a suitcase, my little dog in her kennel, dog food and water, and a few snacks for myself. Oh, and a spare set of sparkplugs, motor oil and filter, and a fuel filter and a 2 gallon gas can.
As a rule you would like to keep the trailer and cargo as light as possible, however it sounds like you will be packing pretty light anyways. When I was pulling a pod trailer with my 1100 loaded it weighed 400 lbs. Aside from feeling the weight when rolling on from a stop or when stopping in a hurry, I really didnt notice it back there. Now I tug around a popup tent trailer with my 1500 and when loaded for weeks on the road it weighs around 700 lbs. Yes thats alot but I like to be very comfy when I "camp". Keep the tounge weight to about 10-15% of the total traiIer weight. A longer tounge helps eliminate the tail wagging the dog effect .swivel hitch is NOT required with a bike, a regular ball hitch is fine. 8-)
Any advice or input to the above would be greatly appreciated, and, thank you all again in advance
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:19 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:ok, let me start off by saying welcome to the wonderful world of Goldwings. now to the heart of the matter.........I did a ride from here in Tennessee in the middle of June last year solo, total mileage was just under 900 miles. I stopped at every rest area along the interstates, (roughly 65 miles apart) for about 20 minutes, eating was when ever I got hungry. I did the ride in 2/450 miles@ 7 hours each runs stopping in a motel just above the Florida border for the night and continuing on the next day for the rest of my ride down to the Florida keys. if your riding 2 up, you might want to take more time. my fuel mileage was excellent, the entire ride cost me just under $75.00 and that was using premium fuel. as for the trailer, I have a 40" x 49" H F utility trailer that I put an old sears plastic roof top cargo box onto, (my avatar is a photo of my bike and trailer). the trailer weighs approx. 122lbs with a pay load of another 250lbs,(I wouldn't put anything more than that in it because, anything over that could cause the bike to get a little "squirrely". you MUST keep your speed UNDER 63mph otherwise the trailer will start to swing back and forth and make the back of the bike "fishtail" to the point of getting out of control, at least that's what I found out with mine. the trailer, harbor freight item is Haul-Master - item#42708 has a total load weight of 870lb capacity, but just because it says it can hold that much weight, I wouldn't advise doing that. if your pulling it behind a car, that's a different story, but not behind a bike.

hope this helps ya.

stuart.

Stuart, there is no speed limit for a properly set up trailer. If your trailer was swaying back and forth it is because of improper loading/ insufficient tounge weight and or too short of a draw bar. I can pull my 700 pound tent trailer at 80mpg if I want to. I choose to keep it down to about 60 for the simple reason that it takes longer to stop the extra weight, in an emergency stop the extra speed can make a huge difference. So please dont make statements like "you MUST keep your speed UNDER 63mph otherwise the trailer will start to swing back and forth and make the back of the bike "fishtail" to the point of getting out of control"
It simply is not true, the way a trailer handles behind a bike is caused by how it is loaded( too much or not enough tounge weight, too short of a draw bar, and tire inflation). 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 am

rouge, I only said that because that's what I found out with MY trailer. every one rides differently and im sure he will find out how his trailer behaves once its connected to his bike. tell me something, what IS the proper length of a draw bar. how long or short should it be. maybe the one that's on mine isn't long enough? tires are filled to max pressure as stated on the side walls of the tires, weight is distributed evenly in it. why should it make MY bike want to swing from the back at over 63mph?

right now, im headed out for my 284 round trip ride to the veterans hospital for a post op eye exam. a 6 hour ride for a 20 minute visit. oh the joy's of being a veteran lol.

stuart.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 am

jeffandsharon, Welcome to the world of Gold Wings. You will find that the folks here are very similar to the folks with Harleys as most are passionate about their bike and riding it.

I have ridden 600-1000 mile days many times in the past but in the last few years have started to smell the roses more(getting older) and now look at 300 to 450miles a day as very reasonable. I have never like starting the day before the sun rises and I like to be settled in a motel room by 1800hrs. There are many reasons but the real one is that the rooms are still available prior to that hour.

I do suspect you will find it easier to do more miles on the Wing do to a lack of vibration. Towing a trailer is not a problem but as noted above allow more time for stopping. Most trailers even Harbor Freight come with a weight recommendation. Try to stay within that level and if you are exceeding the high limit for the trailer and the bike, slow the pace and insure that the tires are properly inflated. Checking tires on the bike and trailer for damage and proper inflation daily can prevent a catastrophe.

Before I started towing a trailer, I was sort of scared of them but after I got one back in the late 1990's I have been towing one ever since.

A well made hand built trailer will do fine, I just prefer a professionally made trailer such as the Neosho Starlight as a starter. Small, light weight, sturdy and will go many miles for a reasonable entry level price. In my next post please check the info on "Pulling Your Tail".
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:26 am

roadwanderer2,

I agree totally with the previous poster that if you are limited to 63MPH something is wrong. Probably the way the trailer is loaded but there are many other factors starting with the bike that may effect your handling, I highly recommend you get a copy of Jim Victor and Bill Brobst's book called "Pulling Your Tail" It is a great primer for motorcycle trailering. copies are available at: http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/book
and also probably available from Amazon.

It has a lot of good tips.

On the Interstate I normally ride 70 to 75 mph and will go faster to pass if necessary with no problems. And I carry just about everything in the trailer but the kitchen sink.

Also if you are a member of GWRRA they have a riding course that is geared for folks pulling a trailer to teach us the do's and don't's to be successful. While it does deal with proper handling while riding such as positioning when approaching a gas pump, it covers a lot of material.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:15 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:rouge, I only said that because that's what I found out with MY trailer. every one rides differently and im sure he will find out how his trailer behaves once its connected to his bike. tell me something, what IS the proper length of a draw bar. how long or short should it be. maybe the one that's on mine isn't long enough? tires are filled to max pressure as stated on the side walls of the tires, weight is distributed evenly in it. why should it make MY bike want to swing from the back at over 63mph?

They way you worded it was telling them that they must do or not do something based on your experiences. But anyway...
WingAdmin wrote:
You need to measure from the ball socket to the trailer axle, and then measure the axle width. The ratio of tongue length to axle width should be between 1.5 and 2.0 (I would go for closer to 2.0 than 1.5).

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:58 pm

I have an '81 GL1100 and I get between 38-42 miles per gallon most of the time. I do not ride much faster than 70 mph. I don't know anything about pulling a trailer on a motorcycle.

Very happy to see another new face here. Congratulations on your new bike!
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:38 pm

hey guys, that's for all the input about my trailer. im going to have to measure it. obviously there's something not right with it to make the trailer start swaying and pulling my bike from side to side at such a low speed. I did look under it briefly this morning, and it appears that the PO cut the front off and put on a new end piece for a smaller ball, IE:2" to 1 7/8". that might be the main problem, the tounge was shortened by approx. 2 feet.

wingadmin, im going to take those measurements you posted and see what's going on with it. in the mean time, I have to put a new posting. im having an electrical issue....again.

stuart.

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Back to JeffandSharon (yes, this group does hijack threads, but it is always for a good cause, I have learned so much from this group)....

Since you are experienced on a big bike anyway, you will find that you will wear out before the bike does. When I was doing longer trips, I would start at 6 a.m. (cuz I like riding early) and I would stop every 90 mins....either for fuel, food, rest, stretch, etc. Most times I would be able to to ride a 10 hour day (ending at 4 p.m. to find a hotel or a tent spot, and food).....Only a couple times I did a 750 miler in one day....I was beat at the end of the day but the bike kept running.

Guess what I am saying is it is all how comfy you want to be. Plan it out and just enjoy the trip. You will do well going across the northern states from where you are starting (I am just north of you, above PDX).

By the way, on your trip....take pics....we do love da pics.

jeffandsharon
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard with GL1100I hard "saddlebags" and trunk, and, fairing of unknown origin

Postby jeffandsharon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15 am

To everyone who responded,

I very big thank you to all of you! Sharon and I are looking forward to many happy miles on our "new to us" Goldwing. Everyone's advice is appreciated, that is for sure!

I think we are going to aim at 400 miles a day for a target, or 5 days to ride from Eugene, Oregon to Green Lake Wisconsin, all in daylight hours. The reason to opt for a trailer is for a light cargo of a small tent, 2 sleeping bags, a few extra changes of clothes and snacks/etc. Thanks for the graphics on tongue vs. axle width ratio!

We are going to work up from 50 to 100 mile trips (one way) between now and our August departure date. I am a seasoned long distance rider but my better half is not, and as you all know, if mamma isn't happy, nobody is happy! Nothing I can think of is grouchier than a woman with a sore butt!

We will be posting pics soon of the GL1100 as we aquired it, as well as once I am done cleaning it up. And, we will surely post pictures of our trip to share with all of you!

Thank you all again, and thank you for making us feel so welcome her!

Jeff and Sharon

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:36 am

I have zero experience with motorcycle trailers, and just a little more than that about long rides....but, I have my 2 cents.
I would suspect loose wheel bearings if I had a tracking problem. Also, on the sidewall of most any tire (I'm not talking .mc tires here), it will read something like, "maximum load 1343lbs @ 44psi cold". That don't mean you must inflate to 44 psi! If you look at your "tire ware", if it's wareing in the center only, you are over inflated for your application! If you have your tires inflated to the max, and you are only carrying 5% of rated load, which "might" cause your tire to only touch the road by a 3/4 inch strip at the center of the tread, then, I guess it could be "all over the road"!

Signed,
Mr. Looking outside of the box.
Last edited by f1xrupr on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 am

Oh...here's a good example...look at the specs on tire pressure for your bike-now, look at the sidewall of your bike tire.....different numbers?...or...look at the tag in your car door-now, go look at your tires.......huge difference?....

Sorry about that-I got excited ...I feel better now... :roll:
Last edited by f1xrupr on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45 am

Jeff and Sharon Welcome to the site,,, I think you will enjoy the wing, I look forward to long trips on it, It's really smooth on the road so you will enjoy that,,, gas miles are great... It's comfortable enough... And it's fast enough too..the best thing I enjoy about my 1100 is that it's easy to work on... You can do almost everything yourself, that in itself is going to save you money bigtime... Welcome to the site guys.... :D
A. I ride about 12hrs. before getting tired
B. Never really cared much but it's in the upper 35-40 mile to gallon I think :shock:
C. I load about 100 lbs but there have been times I had 200lbs loaded,, that's a lot of stuff man..Just don't load too much weight in the back of the trailer.... I can go 80 mph with my trailer fully loaded...But I rarely do that because of Mr. Policman dude.. :lol:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:03 pm

WELCOME Jeff and Sharon, from far-far north-east ILL.
I've got a little experience pulling trailers behind bikes.

. . . BYW, I'm still on the OEM clutch @ 171K 8-)

Last edited by FM-USA on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:07 pm

hey, I once pulled a 14' bayliner boat on its trailer for a friend of mine from Davie Florida to north Lauderdale Florida with my 81 silverwing, does that count?

stuart.

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Postby millerized » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:58 am

After seeing some of the items pulled, I don't feel so bad with the weight of my trailer.
WOW! :shock:

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:11 am

millerized wrote:After seeing some of the items pulled, I don't feel so bad with the weight of my trailer.
WOW! :shock:

Posting my pix was the point.
The trans output bearing takes quite a load if you overload it. Be gentile and you're OK.

Real slow turns will be a trip, duck walk it.
All other turns keep the throttle steady and the trailer won't push you around.
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

H20loo
Motorcycle: 99 gl se

Postby H20loo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Welcome from Ontario. Drop by and visit us.

So much good advice above. The only thing i can add is that sometimes on small trailers, tongue weight can change based on the height of the tongue. Make sure you have appropriate weight at drawbar height

Return to “Goldwing Chat”