doing my own maintaince

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dodgeball
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

doing my own maintaince

Postby dodgeball » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Just saying that with a little time an patience you can do it. I was a little skeptical about doing my self, but after studying the how to videos l was able to change all filters (sub, cruise, air ),change oil an filter. My boys got me the shifter stabilizer for Christmas this year, so l also tackled that as long as l had all the plastic off. After many hours an a chunk of skin on my pointer finger l had success. Went for a short test ride an wow what a difference on the shifting. Well worth the time. I'm ready for road now.You all have a safe riding year.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: doing my own maintaince

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:32 pm

It's a great feeling not having to take the bike into a shop,, Heck you may not get it back for a week,,, :shock: , sometimes you have to take a number in some places... That can anger a guy...Good for you on doing your own... :D

Mspinner
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Apencade

Postby Mspinner » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 am

dodgeball wrote:Just saying that with a little time an patience you can do it. I was a little skeptical about doing my self, but after studying the how to videos l was able to change all filters (sub, cruise, air ),change oil an filter. My boys got me the shifter stabilizer for Christmas this year, so l also tackled that as long as l had all the plastic off. After many hours an a chunk of skin on my pointer finger l had success. Went for a short test ride an wow what a difference on the shifting. Well worth the time. I'm ready for road now.You all have a safe riding year.

What is a shifter stabilizer and what does it do? :?:

Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

Postby Ol' Man » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:16 am

I have every intention to do as much of my own maintenance as I am able and have proper equipment for the task. Some kind of lift or ramps would make the job a lot easier or me.
Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:21 am

What is a shifter stabilizer and what does it do? :?:

It is for the GL1500s to make their clunky change work smoothly. There is a number of messages about it, so do a search, and all will be revealed, including the need for a seal replacement while you are in there poking around.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

dodgeball
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing 1500

Postby dodgeball » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm

Well worth the money (shift stabilizer). Shifts like a new or even better than a new bike. If you have a1500 I recommend looking into it . Got mine from cyclemax

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Its a great feeling doing your own maintenance on your own bike. I feel more connected to the bike in some way. And the confidence in knowing the job was done right (hopefully!)

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”