MOTORCYCLE MILES

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

MOTORCYCLE MILES

Postby brentsboats » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:57 am

Over the last few months i have been looking to buy a new used cruiser.And there is one thing that kind of bothers me.How can a bike that was built in 1996 and up to 2002 only have 12 k to 21k miles?
I have never taking my Gl1100 on any cross country and have only owned her for 2 years ,But yet i have managed to add almost 20k miles on the meter . Help me out here ,Should i trust the numbers that these bikes for sale are showing ?

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: MOTORCYCLE MILES

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:11 am

My personal experience is that it is very common for people to "own" motorcycles that they do not ride. I bought a GL500 (1981) several years ago that had 5200 miles on it. Two years ago, I bought a Yamaha Virago (750cc) with 9600 miles on it. I've seen hundreds of antique (older than 25 years) motorcycles for sale with less than 25,000 miles on them. Some folks just buy and park them in the garage or ride on a trip once or twice a year (or maybe once a decade) and other than the few times they ride the bikes just sit. The best finds are those that get regular maintenance, and not that many miles put on them...

Bottom line for me is, if the bike is titled here, there's a requirement to fill in mileage when the bike is sold. I bought one one with 45,000 miles on it that had a replacement odometer. The PO told me the odometer he took off had 18K miles on it. The mileage on the title is "unknown"... so in an instance like that I was able to find someone who admitted to having changed the (speedometer/odometer) gauge... of course, he could have lied about how many miles the old one had on it...

It's always BUYER beware, regardless of what we buy ... particularly when it comes to used cars and motorcycles... and having the good sense to check things we know are more effected by time than others... how does the paint look... how does the oil look... what condition are the brake pads, rotors, grips, pedals, and all that jazz look? There are far worse things that can happen to a motorcycle than to be ridden a lot of miles. Personally, I'd rather buy a water cooled bike with a few more miles on it, than one that has sat forever... Air cooled bikes are a horse of a different color, depending on other factors (who made it, what configuration the engine is, and stuff like that... known defects of manufacture)... and then if I like the bike and I can see my way clear to paying what the seller is asking, or if they'll negotiate to a price I think is fair, I will buy whatever it is and roll the dice on my decision.

I try not to fall in love with something and let emotions rule my choices, regardless of what it is I'm trying to buy.

brentsboats wrote:Over the last few months i have been looking to buy a new used cruiser.And there is one thing that kind of bothers me.How can a bike that was built in 1996 and up to 2002 only have 12 k to 21k miles?
I have never taking my Gl1100 on any cross country and have only owned her for 2 years ,But yet i have managed to add almost 20k miles on the meter . Help me out here ,Should i trust the numbers that these bikes for sale are showing ?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:12 am

brentsboats wrote:...I have only owned her for 2 years ,But yet i have managed to add almost 20k miles on the meter .

I wanted to add that I have put over 25,000 miles in the saddle in the past 12 months without really going anywhere... to and from work, and joy riding.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:13 am

Examine the bike, listen to it run, take it for a ride if the owner will allow it, and see how smooth and tight it is. That is what you should trust most. The seat of the pants feeling you get when you ride it. With Goldwings as a for instance, 20K or 80K does not make a lot of difference. If you are from a seasonal riding area, like I am, you see a lot of low mileage bikes.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am

I bought a 2000 1500 in 2014 and the owner gave me the maintenance records with it. :D He had had it for 2 years, and only rode it with their church group and had only put 2000 miles on it. He had had them install a ten disc cd player and it was full of religious music. The previous owners had allways had it maintained at his local Honda dealer. All the mileage had been written down in a log along with the maintenance done. This bike only had 18600 miles on it. Made me wonder if it had ever been out in the rain. I have put 7000+ on it since I have had it. It's still a new bike! :D I do all the maintenance on it myself, so I know what I have. :) If I could figure out where my computer hid all my pictures, it would be my avitar. :lol: :roll:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:33 am

Just as an example, my wife and I both have 2004 bikes. She goes on some long trips with me but does almost no riding around town, nor will she just take a day and go riding whereas I do all of the above and used to commute also. Her VTX has 36,000 miles and my Wing has 120,000 miles.

Some folks just don't ride much. Also remember it is illegal to alter an odometer reading today so I doubt many private owners will do that or even know how.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Between looking for my present ride and something as a 2nd bike I have looked very regularly on CL, Cycletrader and Ebay for the past 3yrs. There are a great deal of bikes that dont get ridden much (particularly HD's). My bike had 28k on it and its a 1991. I've seen others with lower miles. They seem fairly common so it has never really occured to me that someone may have turned back the clock on any of these bikes. Maybe it happens but just assumed checking the bikes condition and the last title good indicators. Then again my bike did look pretty sorry when I first brought it home. Maybe I should have been a little more suspicious. :o

I have a feeling some of these low mileage bike owners buy the bike then it doesn't work into there daily lives. And others may have had a life change. I work with some people who have bikes in there garages and they tell me they just dont ride them anymore.... no particular reasons.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Many times the title has the mileage of the bike on it if he bought it from someone else in the last few years...That is confirmation of the bikes miles...Some states also require State inspections,, Mileage may be noted on the sticker...

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 am

My Wing has 8700 miles on it. I bought it last fall with 3300 original miles on it. I also have a 99 XV1100 Virago that has nearly 15000 on it. I bought it 3 years ago with less than 3000 original miles on it. If you look around you can find bikes like these that have low miles on them for many reasons. There are a lot of HD's out there like that...... In the case of my Goldwing, it was a one owner bike, the PO bought it new, rode it one season and had a heart attack and couldn't ride any more so the bike sat in his garage for 12 years. My Virago had been dropped and probably scared the (H) out of the owner, so it sat. Both bikes were in near new condition.
Bill

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:21 am

I ride mine all most every day, and most of the bikes I see on the road during the week are young guys on sport bikes. On the weekends you see a lot more group riders that go to a local bar or restaurant and then back home to sit for the rest of the week. If the weather is bad, they don't get out at all. That makes for a lot of low mileage bikes just sitting around. A lot of the older riders are in retirement communities that will have more Wings than Harleys as they don't want all the noise. Then "He " has a heart attack or passes away, and She doesn't ride it at all. There are some bargains out there to be had just by checking the bulletin board at your local banks. Kinda like estate sales. ;) Some of us are the exception to the rule as we ride about daily. :D

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 am

HEY SEEYARK ,,
Are u trying to kid us up here in the Great North East ,,,Just When do you guys have bad weather down there ,,, Ha your a riot . :lol:
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:35 am

You guys seldom see the hurricanes that we see here, but most all that is gone in a few days, :D There used to be a newspaper in the Tampa / St Pete area that gave away the paper if the sun didn't shine. :lol: Youall can keep all that snow stuff. I'll take my sunshine. I get caught in the rain ocasionally, but not very often. If you wait ten minutes the weather will change :lol: It will rain on one side of the street and not on the other.. You can sit and watch a rain storm following a river and not get wet. Go one route and get wet. Go another and stay dry. The weather here doesn't set in for days, its minutes except for those hurricanes.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”