Modular Helmet and Comm System

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
wellman
Motorcycle: 1974 Yamaha Enduro 125
1982 Kawasaki LTD 550
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
1992 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
2000 GL1500 SE

Modular Helmet and Comm System

Postby wellman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Hello,
My wife and I are new to the Goldwing world. Bought our 2000 GL1500SE last year, only 36,000 miles. Had a Vulcan 1500 for years and wore half helmets for a long time. Looking to purchase a couple of modular helmets and a bluetooth comm system. Anyone have suggestions on either of these items?
Currently looking at HJC IS Max II for helmet. Can't decide on Comm system. Scala Rider G9 or Sena 10/ 20 seem to be the choices. Any help would be aprreciated.

Would also like to comment on this forum.Stumbled on this site last year and the information here is phenomenal. I have learned so much about working on and maintaining my 'Wing. Thanks to Wingman for maintaining site and to all the others that contribute. Hopefully I can chime at some point.
Thanks!!

ram11397
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Modular Helmet and Comm System

Postby ram11397 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi
I use the Sena SMH10 on my half helmets when riding my 1100 works great best buy i made. Mind you i am still learning it but so far love it.
Rick
Rick
1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Helmet choice is up to you, different helmets fit different head shapes, read the reviews and find one that has little wind noise. Some are better than others . As for the bluetooth comm system I use the ScalaRider. It has a 1 mile range And works well bike to bike. The Battery life is very good lasting about a day and a half travel time.
If you are just on the one bike you dont need bluetooth unless you need to be conected to your phone Inside the helmet. The bike has a comm system and you just need headsets to allow you to talk to each other,hear the stereo and CB. There is even an input device available to let you hear your GPS through the bikes comm system.It is available through the forums store, I have one on mine and it works flawlessly. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:09 am

Might also mention that if the SE'S CB is important then Bluetooth might not be the way to go due to cost for a complete system, $600 or more, to use with CB. You can purchase good wired headsets for less than $100 per and they will work with all of the bikes system.

curley
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby curley » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:59 am

Helmet' a good choice ...very good value...vents well, big eye port,easy to add glasses or sun glasses ...have about 1000 miles on mine...if you have a vented windscreen- you may be able to "aim" the air flow at the top vents ...works good out here in the hot SouthWest.

Blue tooth...need to keep the battery charged...on a modular helmet, microphone "placement" needs to be checked every time to "flip up/flip down" the bar....ours weren't too good at speed ( 70-80mph)...due to costs ( new BTs are $$$) and that the bike has a wired intercom we're trying out the corded system...

with Bluetooth you could talk to your passenger with your helmet on and you're off the bike...like at a gas/food/potti stop...gotta unplug with the corded system.

it seems the mic's could be better on the BT systems...we had to have them right next to our lips to have a conversation on the bike while underway...kinda like a private plane pilot's headset/mic set up...gonna add a CB later this year...keeping the corded setup...hope this helps

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:51 am

If you do decide to go with a bluetooth system, I have a pair of Cardo G9 headsets that I'm selling. $250 + shipping for both headsets.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:24 am

HJC modular I hear is nice helmet. Nolan has 50% off sale on there popular modular (forget the number). Shoei Neotec is supposed to be great modular at high price point. And Shuberth I guess is pinnacle modular at highest price. It too bad Arai does not make one they are my favorite.

For comms SMH-10 has always had great reviews. SMH-20 has not been out all that long but has many bells & the whistles. Scala is good option too. I purchased Sena SMH-10 twin pack this winter for price of 1 SMH-20. It hooks up to my cell phone easy. With adding a SM-10 you can connect to bike audio with a din cord. And connect gps to either SM-10 (I think so) or with dongle (that are very cheap). Things I wanted were BT intercoms, GPS, Phone for calls and music (possibly pandora) and being able to listen to bike radio is just a bonus. For CB I never use it so its not a problem.

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Return to “Goldwing Chat”