Sleeping beauty's first outing, well kindof

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Yamaha 750- college days- sold
Yamaha virago- sold
Honda VTX 1300- sold
Honda shadow Aero 1100- sold
1987 Honda Goldwing interstate "Sleeping Beauty"- sold
02 kawasaki vulcan 1500 drifter - sold
1997 Honda goldwing SE 1500 - AKA "Black Beard" (current)
1981 GL1100 - "The Wanderer"

Sleeping beauty's first outing, well kindof

Postby made2care » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 am

Went to our nearby state park today, not very far about 30 miles round trip.
Front tire appears to be rubbing slightly on fender. just on right side. Tire might be too fat. went with shinkos
Clunking when changing gears, not too bad, heard these bikes are a little clunky.
At end of trip, and this has happened before, spongy clutch lever forms. No i have not changed the line to stainless, still have original,however, i did bleed this line and put fresh fluid in. I also rebuilt the front master cylinder. So who knows............ :(
Overall, nice ride, comfortable, proud of her, but still a little apprehensive for a long trip and will have to figure out the clutch lever before that happens.

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Sleeping beauty's first outing, well kindof

Postby ram11397 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Good luck and i think the longer you ride the bike the more you will trust. I have had mine 5-6 years now and mechanically sound i do 300-400 mile rides no problem. I ride with my friends,4 harley's lol and those harley's are beautiful bikes, my girl is rough but everyone talks about my Wing!!!!! lol

1982 GL 1100 Aspencade

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Good to see that she is earning her keep on the road again.

With the clutch lever, you may have to bleed it again. And perhaps, some of those braided hoses are in your future.

She looks nice, parked on the side of the road, but then she also looks like she is busting for a trip where she can really stretch out - perhaps a trip to see some of your northern friends?
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:32 am

If the clutch and brake hoses are originals, you might consider changing them. While the braided steel lines are nice,and look pretty, they are pricey and they aren't a necessity. The rubber hoses break down from the inside and can tend to create a balloon effect when pressure is applied. Instead of all the hydraulic "motion" of the fluid being applied to the clutch or caliper, a bit of it creates, for lack of a better term, an aneurism in the line or the line swells up a bit. It doesn't take much to create a slightly spongy feel. If another bleeding doesn't help, I would replace the lines.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”