adding a backrest

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
golden highway
Motorcycle: 1987 Interstate
1998 Aspencade

adding a backrest

Postby golden highway » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 pm

I want to add a driver backrest. I have seen two different types, one has the wrap around bars. I was concerned the bars would interfere with the passengers legs. The other is one you mount through the seat. It looks like a headrest in your car. Not sure how hard they are to install. Anyone have any experience with them or a better idea?

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: adding a backrest

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Sissy mount bars do not interfere with passengers legs, the centre mount such as the Utopia just means having no sissy bars. Makes no odds to the pillion as far as I am aware from pillion passengers I have carried. Just a matter of choice. Sissy bars do not require cutting a hole in the seat and allow sliding forward and back position adjustment, whereas the Utopia does not, and if you want to remove the sissy bar backrest you do not have a hole in your seat. The only centre mounted backrest I have used came with a Road Sofa. If my 1800 did not have a sissy bar mounted backrest already fitted, I would probably go with a Utopia, very easy to install

But I would take great care when attaching the guard and testing for 100% waterproof adhesion before I cut a slit in the seat.

On the other hand I would probably go for a sissy bar mounted backrest.

Or get the missus to buy me one as a present, but she cannot keep a secret and would keep giving hints which one she had bought

"I am not telling you which one I have bought, all I am saying is/lets just say........"

If I were you I would buy a err............... sissy bar.....no a Utopia....wait.....err.... a new seat with a backrest.....err which seat.....err.... a sissy bar.........

Glad I was here to help with your decision.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:20 pm

I did the SmartMount on my F6B. I do like it. Did have to cut the seat (1") for a slot. But they have an adhesive piece that goes over the cut to clean it up. I didn't want the framework sticking out on the sides. There is video about the SmartMount on the Wingstuff.com site. It boils down to personal choice and appearance.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:38 pm

I only have one backrest on my bikes and it's a factory Corbin one and have never installed a through seat backrest, so I can't give a personal opinion on the difficulty of installation. Here's the instructions for adding a Utopia on a 1200 though, so you can see what all is involved.
http://www.utpr.com/gl1200installation.html

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:12 pm

My 1200 has the Utopia style but was made that way. The nice thing is if I want to remove it I just pull it out and put it in the trunk. It also has a velcro tab that seals the hole when the backrest is removed. I wasn't sure the Utopia had that. With the sissy bar type I wasn't sure how easy to remove and store. My top concern was the bars hitting my wife's legs. That could result in excessive complaining make for a long day.

I updated my profile to show my 1200 and 1500. I forgot to do that when I purchased the 1500. Although I think I am going to sell the 1200 but for now I have both.

onelostsock
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800HPNA

Postby onelostsock » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:37 am

I have installed the Utopia on my '06. It is a little scary cutting into an $800 seat but if you take your time and measure a half dozen times and cut once it is'nt too bad! And you need to be extra careful if you are cutting into a heated seat like I have. I do like the backrest overall and helps on long trips.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 am

I put a Utopia on my wife's PC800, and yes, it was a bit scary cutting into the seat: I measured 10 times, then measured one more time just to be sure, then cut once. :)

I disliked the bars on the seat back on my GL1100 (or rather, my wife did, found them uncomfortable), so I definitely didn't want that again. My GL1500 has a Corbin seat with its backrest that I think is probably the best design - it is narrow at the bottom, so as to not impinge on the space for the passenger's legs.

Elmonda
Motorcycle: '83 Gl650 SilverWing

Postby Elmonda » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 am

I'm curious about the same thing. I need a back rest and I am considering buying one of those bags you strap to the passenger seat (I don't plan on riding with any passengers any time soon) just so I have something to lean against. Anyone know of any additions to the gl650 interstate that are fairly simple and cheap? I am also considering fabricating my own out of some spare steel.
'83 Gl650I, Michigan
Gain experience every day.

golden highway
1998 Aspencade

Postby golden highway » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Elmonda wrote:I'm curious about the same thing. I need a back rest and I am considering buying one of those bags you strap to the passenger seat (I don't plan on riding with any passengers any time soon) just so I have something to lean against. Anyone know of any additions to the gl650 interstate that are fairly simple and cheap? I am also considering fabricating my own out of some spare steel.

I think there was enough steel in the backrest on my 900 passenger sissy bar backrest to make one. You would have to turn it around and do a little bending but I think it would be cheap and doable. I am going to stick to one already designed to fit, that really sound right for me but that's what I am going to do.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 pm

a friend of mine had an 82 silverwing, and he had a sissybar type back rest mounted inbetween the front and rear seat that he used as a drivers backrest. when I had the opportunity to drive it, I found it pretty comfortable, but while being a passenger, it was very uncomfortable because every time he would shift gears, It would hit me in my chest because he was not shifting smoothly. it was great for the driver, but not so good for the passenger. just something you might want to think about if you put one on your bike.

stuart.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Postby dtrider » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:16 pm

golden highway wrote:I want to add a driver backrest. I have seen two different types, one has the wrap around bars. I was concerned the bars would interfere with the passengers legs. The other is one you mount through the seat. It looks like a headrest in your car. Not sure how hard they are to install. Anyone have any experience with them or a better idea?

When I bought my bike it had the Kury backrest with the wrap around bars. My wife often complained that Honda seat was much wider and more uncomfortable than the seat on our old Yamaha Royal Star, but for some reason we didn't think it was because of the backrest. In the middle of a long ride a few weeks ago I took off the backrest for some reason and she suddenly discovered that she was quite comfortable again. Sold the backrest and she's been happy ever since then.

A couple weeks ago I pulled the Yamaha out of storage to get it ready to put it on the market and we took it for a ride for old times sake. It has the center-post style driver backrest. Even though the Yamaha cockpit is larger than the Honda cockpit, my wife commented that she now felt much more comfortable on the Honda.

I may look at getting another backrest some day, but if/when I do it will be the center-post style.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Utopia supposed to be cats meow but I went to NOS Markland with the bars that passengers dont like. I didn't want to cut my seat. Now I find my seat foam is not standing the test of time and will probably try refoaming so I end up cutting it anyways. Strange how that worked out.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Ol' Man
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A/MotorTrike Conversion

Postby Ol' Man » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:16 pm

I installed a Utopia on my '96 GL1500 Motor Trike and am very glad I did. I have to many thumbs for most things, but this was a snap.

Today is the oldest you've ever been,
yet the youngest you'll ever be,
so enjoy this day while it lasts.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”