Don't do that man!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Don't do that man!

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 am

I was watching a youtube video of a guy changing out his tire on an older Goldwing, Ok it was a front wheel with both rotors, I watched him stepping all over the rim with the rotors still on the wheel, and he is showing us how to change a tire, all his weight on those rotors at all kinds of angles, should have seen the faces I was making :lol: ...Don't do that man... :shock: :lol:

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Don't do that man!

Postby CMReynolds1 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:13 am

Wow!! He would be the first to complain that all he did was change a tire and the rotors are bad! Glad he rides somewhere where I don't.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:23 am

Yeah... My rotors are made of that rare element, Unattainium ('82 Aspencade rotors are uber hard to find, it's one year, one model)....

I'm sure, given proper technique, and tools, you can do it, but I wouldn't. I'll take my rims to the BMW shop down the street and let them deal with it. One of the few shops I would trust with it. And they will work on almost anything, just bring the check book... LOL

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:11 pm

On my 82, I just removed the rotors from the wheel before changing it. Prevent disaster from happening.

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:16 pm

If I were doing it myself, that's exactly how I would. I"m not saying I'll drop the bike off either. I pull the wheel and have them do it. It gives me a chance to make sure slides, and splines get inspected and lubed, brakes inspected, etc. (although I'd trust them to do that as well)

I just have them mount it, because they charge me almost nothing to do it and their service guys and gals are just awesome. If I ever buy a BMW, I know where I'm going (and I've considered it just because of that shop)

Why the BMW shop? I got pissed at the Honda dealer in my neck of the woods. I wanted a front tire changed and they wouldn't touch the bike because it was too old. I could understand if it was something like a carb rebuild, valve adjustment (although they are super easy), or something else... but it was just a tire change. Fine, I'll not buy anything from you, including parts, gear, other bikes, etc. And since I do a lot of work on other peoples bikes, I will try to steer them away from that shop as well.

We have another shop in my area that's awesome too. He's all consignment sales and his show room and mostly Harley... But he is open on Sunday's and I needed an intake o-ring for one of my carbs.... On a sunday... dropped by and he gave me the o-ring, wouldn't even take my money for it...

It's funny, I'll rebuild a carb on a bike, I've replaced pistons and barrels, stators (I haven't on a goldwing), but I just don't mount tires... I did a lot of car tires when I was in high school, before they had the turn table type machine, so it's not like I haven't done it, just never on a motorcycle.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”