Carrying a firearm on a trip

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
2008retiredplb
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 now a 2016 HTS1800 RoadSmith Trike
2001 GL1800
1998 1100 Honda Shadow ACE
1972 Honda CL450

Carrying a firearm on a trip

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:39 pm

I know this is a touchy subject for some people but it should be talked about as more and more riders are getting their carry license's so they can Legally Carry on a trip. This is not something that has been addressed in many or any motorcycle organizations.
1) First I think those that do carry, are doing so with the hopes of never having to ever pull their firearm out in a self-defense situation but are supporters of the Second Amendment. I did not get my license with the idea of shooting someone, but to have it available if the need arises.
2) Each state has different laws for where you can and can't carry and this is one thing that can get you into trouble if you don't know the laws. I have found an app that you can download called "CCW" in the Apple app store that does give you a great deal of information on the laws of every state you might travel to or through. I have it on my iPad that I will carry with me on trips. If anyone else has some good apps that will help us licensed and legal concealed carry holders, could you share your ideas and experiences.
3) In Illinois, where I live, they have laws that businesses have to post a specific signage and location that informs you of their No Gun Policy. The trouble with that is all states don't have the same laws and if you don't know that states laws you could get arrested and jailed, and have your right to even own a firearm taken away. My feeling is to get more information on what is legal and what is not legal passed around to those that decide to legally carry when you ride or drive into other states than you live in.
4) I think we need to have somewhere to post businesses that do not allow carrying into their business. That way if you want to go somewhere and know it has a No Gun policy , you can choose to avoid it or plan to store your firearm legally in your vehicle.
One of the reasons I have brought this up is because I became aware of a hotel we planned to stay in this summer at one of the rally's that had posted signs stating they have a No Gun Policy. Because of their decision to post their property, I have chosen to move my reservation to another hotel across the street. I also give the hotel staff a card that I carry for these businesses. You can get these cards online or copy them and make your own by searching for "No Guns Business Cards". They have many examples to chose from.
It states:
I noticed your “No Guns Allowed” sign and will respect your rule by shopping elsewhere. If you amend your policy to “Lawfully concealed weapons are allowed on
these premises,” I will continue to patronize your business.

Criminals won’t respect your signs!

As a Concealed Handgun License/Permit Holder:
I have never been convicted of a felony.
I have never been convicted of a crime of violence.
I have never been convicted of domestic violence
I am not addicted to, nor do I use illegal drugs.
I am not under any indictment of a fugitive from justice.
I have passed both state and federal background checks.

What do you know about your other customers?

I had trouble getting the actual business card posted. But it includes a no gun sign in red circle with black gun in it with red slash across it.
I also think it is in the best interest of all Concealed Carry License holders to support a National Reciprocity Law that would make legal carry in different states easier to understand the places that allow and places that do not allow you to carry.
Being a licenced Concealed Carry holder, I am against ILEGAL GUNS carried by gang bangers and criminals. But do support the Second Amendment and my right to defend my family, property and self.

"Love to ride and ride to love"

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Re: Carrying a firearm on a trip

Postby CMReynolds1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:28 pm

Please be careful on using the App. It does have good info, but is not always up to date on all jurisdictions and such. I have heard of a friend or two finding out the App had a little misinfo and caused some problems. I would recommend that you also check online for the latest info if you know where you will be staying for any length. Just a thought. I am in favor of carry and in full support of the 2nd Amendment. So no sour grapes here, just a precautionary suggestion. I wish open carry was legal everywhere, like Arizona.
Attachments
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm

I use a similar app, that is available on both Apple and Android. It doesn't list everywhere, but for those it does list, I find it to be quite accurate. You can add your own (yes allows/no does not allow) as well for others to use:

http://gunfreezoneapp.com/

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Just passed a new law in the state of Kansas, No permit needed to carry here...

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Virginia has an open carry law, and you can apply for a concealed carry permit without much trouble as long as your record is clean. I carried a 1911A1 concealed for years without a permit ... I guess I was too tough to care if I got in trouble for having it... anywhere I went, it went. I never pulled it out except to disrobe at the end of the day... never gave it a thought while traveling, but I suppose we live in a different time, and if I were going to travel today, I'd apply for a permit.

I haven't studied the reciprocity agreements between localities, and wouldn't cross state lines without doing so. I'd have to get a new rig to carry on the bike... probably one of those fancy shoulder holsters would do it. Something tells me tucking a .45 in the waist band on my Levis wouldn't cut it for a long motorcycle ride.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:41 pm

WingAdmin wrote:I use a similar app, that is available on both Apple and Android. It doesn't list everywhere, but for those it does list, I find it to be quite accurate. You can add your own (yes allows/no does not allow) as well for others to use:

http://gunfreezoneapp.com/

I tried the link above and clicked on the available on the Apple store link, it says it is not available in the US store yet. I would be interested in seeing it at least.
Thanks for the responses I am getting.

2008retiredplb
2001 GL1800
1972 Honda CL450

Postby 2008retiredplb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:01 pm

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:Virginia has an open carry law, and you can apply for a concealed carry permit without much trouble as long as your record is clean. I carried a 1911A1 concealed for years without a permit ... I guess I was too tough to care if I got in trouble for having it... anywhere I went, it went. I never pulled it out except to disrobe at the end of the day... never gave it a thought while traveling, but I suppose we live in a different time, and if I were going to travel today, I'd apply for a permit.

I haven't studied the reciprocity agreements between localities, and wouldn't cross state lines without doing so. I'd have to get a new rig to carry on the bike... probably one of those fancy shoulder holsters would do it. Something tells me tucking a .45 in the waist band on my Levis wouldn't cut it for a long motorcycle ride.

As you can already see how someone could get into trouble because the laws are different in every state and sometimes in every town.
I have carried my .45 and it is not uncomfortable other than the weight gets to you after awhile. I do have a 9mm that is very comfortable to carry in almost any situation.
The other question is places that I could open carry. What if I have an OWB holster and put on my cycle jacket to ride (it becomes concealed) then want to take the jacket off when I stop for lunch or nature stops (it becomes open carry)? Or is it legal to have a IWB holster that shows a lot of the handgun or at least the grip is fully exposed when not covered by my clothing?
As you can see it gets real frustrating to know when and where you can carry and how you carry. This is some of the reason I have posted this thread. Lets get some good information on this subject without getting into the questions whether guns are good or bad. My decision to carry became more evident as being the right decision after seeing all the events like Paris, Ontario, and everywhere else where people are getting shot by some radical nut job or deranged mental case.

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:54 pm

It always amazes me the folks who have a permit to carry a weapon concealed and then tell everyone what they are doing? I always thought the purpose of the permit was to allow you to carry in secret.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse so make sure you are aware of what you are doing.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:26 am

harvey01 wrote:Ignorance of the law is no excuse so make sure you are aware of what you are doing.

According to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last year, ignorance of the law IS an excuse if you're a cop, though:

Code: Select all

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
Syllabus
HEIEN v. NORTH CAROLINA
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF NORTH CAROLINA
No. 13–604. Argued October 6, 2014—Decided December 15, 2014

Following a suspicious vehicle, Sergeant Matt Darisse noticed that only
one of the vehicle’s brake lights was working and pulled the driver
over. While issuing a warning ticket for the broken brake light, Darisse became suspicious of the actions of the two occupants and their
answers to his questions. Petitioner Nicholas Brady Heien, the car’s
owner, gave Darisse consent to search the vehicle. Darisse found cocaine, and Heien was arrested and charged with attempted trafficking. The trial court denied Heien’s motion to suppress the seized evidence on Fourth Amendment grounds, concluding that the vehicle’s
faulty brake light gave Darisse reasonable suspicion to initiate the
stop. The North Carolina Court of Appeals reversed, holding that the
relevant code provision, which requires that a car be “equipped with
a stop lamp,” N. C. Gen. Stat. Ann. §20–129(g), requires only a single
lamp—which Heien’s vehicle had—and therefore the justification for
the stop was objectively unreasonable. Reversing in turn, the State
Supreme Court held that, even assuming no violation of the state law
had occurred, Darisse’s mistaken understanding of the law was reasonable, and thus the stop was valid.
Held: Because Darisse’s mistake of law was reasonable, there was reasonable suspicion justifying the stop under the Fourth Amendment.
Pp. 4–13.
(a) The Fourth Amendment requires government officials to act
reasonably, not perfectly, and gives those officials “fair leeway for enforcing the law,” Brinegar v. United States, 338 U. S. 160, 176.
Searches and seizures based on mistakes of fact may be reasonable.
See, e.g., Illinois v. Rodriguez, 497 U. S. 177, 183–186. The limiting
factor is that “the mistakes must be those of reasonable men.”
Brinegar, supra, at 176. Mistakes of law are no less compatible with
the concept of reasonable suspicion, which arises from an understanding of both the facts and the relevant law. Whether an officer is
reasonably mistaken about the one or the other, the result is the
same: the facts are outside the scope of the law. And neither the
Fourth Amendment’s text nor this Court’s precedents offer any reason why that result should not be acceptable when reached by a reasonable mistake of law.

I, personally, choose not to carry, open or CCW, when traveling outside my county of residence or a few neighboring counties just to avoid any legal problems.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:46 am

Just call me Crocodile Beaver Dundee,, I prefer knifes....My daughter Amanda has a collection so some sweet blades....she scares me...I have a rifle but I am getting a handgun soon being the law has changed here...Bow too... :shock:

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 am

littlebeaver wrote:Just call me Crocodile Beaver Dundee

I hear ya. There's not much my Cold Steel won't handle.

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:53 am

harvey01 wrote:It always amazes me the folks who have a permit to carry a weapon concealed and then tell everyone what they are doing? I always thought the purpose of the permit was to allow you to carry in secret.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse so make sure you are aware of what you are doing.

My thoughts exactly....concealed is concealed.

Here in Iowa if a business has a sign posted..all they can do is ask you to put it back in your car.

If you refuse, and they call the po-po, then the SHTF.

Then again, if your firearm is TRULY concealed...how are they going to know if you don't say anything?
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:16 am

I agree that you really have to be careful. Many places have rules at the state level and some cities have even more regulations.
Safe practice is to keep the pistol and ammunition separate.
All that said (and being from Texas), this is still one of my favorite pictures.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

rodee71
Motorcycle: 1982 1100 Interstate
1993 1500 Aspencade

Postby rodee71 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:18 am

http://www.deltadefense.com/ has a tremendous amount of info for those carrying concealed. It has a chart showing reciprocity between all the states.

NVSB4
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:46 pm

There must be some people carrying. I was off on Big Bike Parts.com (great site for wings BTW) and found this.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=H41-151CC&GroupGuid=314
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Chris

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Years ago I retired from the Sheriffs Office. One of the main areas I worked was a retirement/recreational village.
When a retiree asked me if they should get a gun, I told them if they feel like they need one, get one. Learn gun safety and practice. (Breakins and burglaries were getting to be a problem.) Back then no one needed a CCP.
I personally feel having to get a CCP is an infringement on my 2 amendment right to keep and bear arms. But if you feel safer with one, get one.
I've traveled all over the continental U.S. and I have always carried a pistol. I never take it out, I don't talk about it, I've carried in stores and restaurants across the country.
Obey the traffic laws, be polite to the local authorities, stay aware of your surroundings, (should be 2nd nature to a motorcyclist) and you won't have problems, at least I haven't.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:09 pm

Not me....I carry a can of Hot Shot Wasp spray. Go ahead and laugh :lol: But if someone wants to start s--- with me, I will be like a freakin skunk on the warpath, :lol: :lol: :shock: I can take out a whole gang with one can from 27 feet away... Why shoot to kill when you can spray them and then beat the living **** out of them all... :lol: :lol: I keep a can in every room in case of intruders....This will mess them up just like mace... Then you have total control of what happens to them because they can't see... :lol: :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Not me....I carry a can of Hot Shot Wasp spray. Go ahead and laugh :lol: But if someone wants to start s--- with me, I will be like a freakin skunk on the warpath, :lol: :lol: :shock: I can take out a whole gang with one can from 27 feet away... Why shoot to kill when you can spray them and then beat the living **** out of them all... :lol: :lol: I keep a can in every room in case of intruders....This will mess them up just like mace... Then you have total control of what happens to them because they can't see... :lol: :lol:

This is an urban myth. Wasp spray does not have anywhere near the effect of pepper spray (which can also be bought with similar range), and is illegal to use in most places in this way. It is a nerve agent, a poison - and can cause permanent damage to humans, unlike pepper spray.

From a well-known self-defense site:

Analysis: U.S. residents tempted to avail themselves of this Internet-recommended self-defense option would do well consider that wasp spray is a pesticide, and federal law prohibits the use of any pesticide "in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

In addition, some states prohibit the use for self-protection of substances not specifically authorized for that purpose.

The main ingredient of pepper spray is capsaicin, an oil extracted from chili peppers which temporarily causes severe irritation of the eyes and lungs, producing a strong burning sensation and difficulty breathing.

Wasp sprays consist of one or more insecticides such as pyrethrum or propoxur. While the toxic side effects of such chemicals can, in fact, include eye and lung irritation in humans, they are poisons the main purpose of which is killing pests.

Notwithstanding variations among specific products (of which there are many), it's probably true that wasp and hornet sprays in general, because they're manufactured for use at greater distances, project further and more accurately than some cheaper pepper sprays, which typically have a range of six to 10 feet. How reliably wasp and hornet sprays work as a deterrent against human assailants is bound to vary, however, given differences in formulation and the fact that they were not made for that purpose in the first place.

To my knowledge, no one has ever tested or documented the effectiveness of insecticide sprays for self-defense.

One reader who accidentally received a dose of wasp spray while using it around his home told me he was surprised at how little irritation he felt. "A gust of wind caused a good splash of the spray to come right back into my right eye," he wrote. "I panicked and started to run to a source of water, only to find there was no adverse reaction at all, no more than being squirted with a water pistol. It took me at least ten seconds to get to the water, and I rinsed it off, and never felt anything from it."

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Ok, then I will shoot em down with my blowgun... :lol:

OldZX11Rider
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL1500 Goldwing SE

Postby OldZX11Rider » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:46 pm

So, would attacking an assailant with silly string be better? :lol: Or maybe a can of Cool Whip? :D.
Just kidding. I see your point about using something like wasp spray. Using it on an attacker, then losing a civil suit brought against you by said attacker would make you wish you used a government approved weapon.
It's ridiculous but that's the way things are in this country today. Best defense nowadays is avoidance. But If you are ever forced into a situation in which you must fight back, never ever say "I'm sorry."
It'll be used against you in court as "proof" you knew what you were doing was wrong. NEVER say you're sorry for having to save your own life.
For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain:

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:51 pm

LOL I don't even have wasp spray..LOL I do have a Rock...LOL :lol:
Last edited by littlebeaver on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

c5cruiser
Motorcycle: 1969 Triumph T-90 350
1970 Honda 350
1975 Honda 750-4
2003 VTX/R
1960 Honda Trail 50
2004 GL1800A

Postby c5cruiser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Sometimes I carry and sometimes I don't. Legally of course.
Coming from a retired L.E.O. remember these words, "AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY." ;)

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:58 am

I carry all the time, legally of course.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bntyhntr6975
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A
2005 VTX1300C

Postby bntyhntr6975 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:31 pm

All of ny guns were lost during a tragic boating accident. But if I still had any, and I chose to carry it, I'd make sure (to the best of ny knowledge) of the rules and regulations of where I plan to be. There are very good sources of info on the net but you cannot be SURE how accurate it is.
We do have open carry in Ks now, but there are still placed that think the local law supervedes what the State says, so it could turn into a sticky mess real quick.
Another issue with our open carry is that most people believes this allows for carry anywhere they want. This is not so. There are still places off limits. Its up to YOU to KNOW where you can and cant carry, whether open or concealed.

spiderjack
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Postby spiderjack » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm

In my opinion, whether or not I carry a firearm is my own business, I'm not about to advertise the fact by "open carry," nor will I brag, mention or talk to people about my firearm(s), method of carry, etc. Those who find out about my firearm are doing so because they have just attempted to harm or kill me or my family, and it will be to their very great misfortune. I am experienced, trained, and safe. I practice regularly. My equipment is top of the line, and properly maintained. Only those who would do harm against me have the slightest thing to fear from me.

I have a concealed carry license, and can carry legally in the majority of US states. When travelling in or through another state, I take the time to research beforehand to ensure that I am legal while doing so. Laws change frequently.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”