Bet I'm the only one who's done this..

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Bet I'm the only one who's done this..

Postby spiralout » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

Ok, so I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning changing the shocks on my '96. A couple weeks ago I'd discovered the air shock lower "eye" was broken off the piston. :shock: Due to me being poor, not being able to weld worth a damn and living in a small town with no welding shop, I bought a used set with a supposed bad seal on the right one and a new seal instead of fixing the old one or switching to new aftermaket. Both seemed to be in good shape so I pumped the old crap out of the air shock, filled with 140cc of fresh ATF, installed and pressurized it. Left the bike on the side stand overnight to see if I could detect any air or oil leaks. This morning all seemed good so I spent 45 minutes struggling to get a universal boot on then went for about a 10 mile ride on some bumpys and twistys without the trunk or saddlebags. Kinda freaky to go riding without my tools, but hey, I'm a daredevil. :twisted: :twisted: Still no signs of a leak but time will tell.

So, all this got me thinking I'd never replaced my fork oil since I'd gotten the bike a year ago. I'd always meant to but never got around to it for one reason or another. Figured this would be as good a time as any seeing the carport was already wet with the ATF I'd spilled.
Bike on centerstand, rotor covers off, I removed the right side drain screw. Barely got a drop of fluid out. Oh ya, schraders are still in the fork caps. Remove schrader valves, remove right drain screw again and I got a good flow of old grey funky fluid going on. Had to plug the hole when the 20oz Mountain Dew bottle I was using as a catch pan filled up. Went inside and got one of those pink plastic hospital pan? tub? things to use as a catch pan this time. Got probably another 10oz out of the right side before the flow slowed to a trickle. The book only calls for 12.6 or 12.7... While the bike was on the centerstand I couldn't really put much weight on it to compress the forks and get the rest of the funk out before flushing with clean fluid. Put the drain screw back in, hopped on the bike, rocked it forward off the centerstand and...

I'm blinded and soaked. :? :? WTH????

The left tube was still full of, I'm assuming, the same 30oz of funk that the right side had in it and the schrader valve was out of the fork cap when the weight came down on the front.
So I'm groping around blindly for the roll of paper towels that are somewhere under the car port with no luck when I decide to just try to clean my face and eyes with my shirt, since it's already got ATF/fork oil? on it. That didn't work to well because it already had ATF/fork oil on it... I made it into the house dripping grey stinky oil and grabbed an old towel to clean the crap off my face, ran back outside with it to try to rescue my paint job (not knowing if this stuff was as caustic as brake fluid, my eyes and skin told me it was). The whole top side of the bike including the inside of the windshield and my Corbin seat was soaked and dripping with this crap. Wiped it down the best I could til the towel was so wet it was just spreading it around, then moved on to using the paper towels. At this point I noticed all the plastics I had off that were lying on the grass next to the carport were spattered, too. Wiped them down and noticed the bike had fluid all over it again :?:
Remember, I'm still half blind from having this stuff in my eyes and I guess I couldn't see well enough to notice that the whole time I was trying to get this stuff off the bike, it was dripping right back down on it from the underside of the carport roof....

Kind of had that same feeling I did all those times I ran my 1000s after setting the timing and forgot to put the timing cap back on :oops: :oops:

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Bet I'm the only one who's done this..

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:10 am

Yup I think you are at least the first to admit to it. I feel your pain, thanks for the giggle 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:14 am

Oh man... I did some silly things but that sounded worse...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:18 am

You are probably right about being the only person to have done that. Have a better day today!

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

Your experience reminded me of a supervisor (at work) who told an employee to start a high-pressure oil pump with one of the discharge ports open to atmosphere. The port faced the sky, and when the pump started, it looked like someone brought in an oil well. The oil shot nearly 30 feet straight into the air and soaked everything in the area with hydraulic oil. It seemed like it took a lot longer to get the word to the man on the switch to turn the pump off than it did to turn it on. To this day, some 30 years later, people still say: Do you remember the time so and so soaked the building with oil??

Sometimes it's better no one else knows about these things. I do hope your eyes are okay.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 am

I needed a good laugh today...thanks for sharing :lol:

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:36 am

I'm sure thsat noone has ever done anything like that. ;) Reminds me of a time my brothers sink drain got plugged up. A snake wouldn't clear it so we tried a hose from his air compressor. :shock: It cleared the drain, but probably would have been better if we had covered the sink drain. :lol: It did work good after that. :lol: Never did get rid of the stains on the ceiling. It doesn't take much compressed air to clear a drain. :)

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Return to “Goldwing Chat”