WHOBBLES ON THE GL1200

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

WHOBBLES ON THE GL1200

Postby brentsboats » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:46 pm

As some of you may recall ? A few months back i was a new guy here and i started a topic on how my Honda gl1200 had a heck of a whobble coming from the front of the bike while going up a slight hill to the left or right . And to me it was pretty scary .I received many replys about this subject with all kinds of answers. Well before i put the old gal to bed last fall i replaced the front tire and checked everything there is to check on the front of the bike . But i ran out of decent weather to take her out for a test ride . Well iam happy to report that the front end issue is no longer a issue . I have taken the bike out of storage and have gone for a few short rides while getting her ready for phase 2 [painting] .This bike now is running and riding so smooth i am having 2nd thoughts about selling her and buying a new used Kawie Vulcan Nomad for around 3gs ..Yes its true that the Vulcans are pretty sexy looking and sound awwsome . Plus when i sat on one it fit me like a glove.But now that i have added some padding and replaced the seat cover on the gl1200and have enjoyed the quiet ride [with a radio now playing ] i think she just might be a keeper. She truly rides like a dream and is so smooth .i cant believe the difference just because of one tire . I would have sworn the front end was bent or bearings were bad and not just the tire cause that old tire did not look to bad by eye. So getting back to sexy ,,just maybe after iam done with the new paint and added chrome ,she might be sexy enough. Thanks to everyone that shared there knowledge about this topic and started me down the right path to finding the answer. And now a brief update on Post Surgery ..Its been along 6 weeks or so since i have had the roto rooter and stents put in to stop the bubble from bursting .And five hours on the table was no fun .It truly sent me for a loop and knocked me on my ass for quite awhile. Iam no where near 100percent maybe half ? And i still go threw quite a bit of pain on some days. Other then that i have turned the corner and can feel myself getting stronger . The weather around here has not helped either .Winter just wont quit and we have had only one 60 degree day in the last 6 weeks . Its been rainy and raw with no end in sight for the next several days . What did help alot was getting that bike out of storage and taken her for a ride .Made me forget just how bad i had been feeling .So now my goal is to get well quicker and get out there to prepare for my very first and long 49 state cross country . Anyone wish to join in.? On this trip i plan to take i will be stopping at a new friends house in the great state of Texas to make plans for a winter stay there . I have had enough of winters and snow ..I no longer will allow myself to go without riding for any length of time .A week is tops for sure. Thanks to everyone for the kind get well words and cards . Hope to see some of you out there on the road to share a few tails and words of wisdom . Ride safe my friends .Brent

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: WHOBBLES ON THE GL1200

Postby redial » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:07 pm

That report is excellent news. You should thank the lousy weather for the last six weeks, as it has given you time to heal up a bit, (as you get older, healing time increases). It sounds like you have fallen in love again with your Honda, and saved yourself $3K that you can use on your tour of the mainland. Keep smiling, Brent, and get stronger sooner.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Postby brentsboats » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:22 pm

To tell you the truth ,i have some people lined up and wanting to buy this bike .And at a very decent price i might add .If i do decide to sell,the monies will be very close for the purchase of the Vulcan . Just need to travel south or west to buy one at a decent price .Around here they are threw the roof > add almost 2 gs more for the same year . Just another reason to get out of Mass .I have her listed ,,So we will see very soon ill make up my mind .
Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Both bike are excellent touring bikes, Nomad has got some comfort for sure...Get you survived the table man... Get well and don't over do anything... :D

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:26 am

Best wishes on a thorough recovery from your surgery.

I know it's just one man's opinion, but if I were planning to ride to all of the lower 48, and perhaps Alaska, I'd rather do it on a Goldwing than any other bike I've ever sat on. I'm sure the Kawasaki is a fine motorcycle, but the wing was made for touring and it is second to none in that role.

Regardless of what motorcycle you choose to ride, I hope you enjoy the journey... I'm just jealous I won't be riding off into the great wide open sooner than later. Family, work and livestock (horses) have me committed the house for a while. Where ever you go and whatever you do, take lots of pictures.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”