Highway pegs what to buy

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
captaindan
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Highway pegs what to buy

Postby captaindan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 pm

I'm looking to replace my highway floorboards with highway pegs. I've kind of been leaning towards the Kury Ergo II, but would like opinions from the readers. These will go on an 06' 1800. I am 6' 3" so looking for something for a taller rider. If I do go with the Kury's, what arms would work best for me? I know this subject has been discussed on this board, but I thought maybe there would be some later, greater insight on this subject . Thanks

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: Highway pegs what to buy

Postby dtrider » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm 6'2" and when I bought my bike it had a set of Ergo IIs with 6" arms. There was just no way that I could get comfortable with them. I might have been OK if I would have swapped out the arms to the 4", but I decided to go with the Ergo III arms instead. They are adjustable in length, plus they will swivel down to give me a little more stretch room. They are spring loaded to swing back up when I move my feet back to the pegs so that they won't drag in the corners.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Have a look at Mick O Pegs. They seem to work well.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:58 am

Kuryakyn has 2", 4" and 6" pegs for their Ergo II systems. I started with boards and the 6" and could not get them right. I switched to 4" with the boards and still was not happy, so finally I got to the 2" with the boards, and then I could not reach them. That is when I got pegs and started over again. I am shorter than you guys, and the 6" bars with pegs did the trick. For you taller guys, probably the 4" arms with the pegs would work for you. And if you are all leg, then the 2". I have a 31" inseam which translated into using the 6" bars, so a 33 inch inseam should be good to go on 4" bars and therefore, a 35" inseam would work okay with the 2" bars. Just a try at peg bar fitting, but as I am not a tailor, most of my math could be incorrect, :lol:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

captaindan
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Postby captaindan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:28 am

dtrider wrote:I'm 6'2" and when I bought my bike it had a set of Ergo IIs with 6" arms. There was just no way that I could get comfortable with them. I might have been OK if I would have swapped out the arms to the 4", but I decided to go with the Ergo III arms instead. They are adjustable in length, plus they will swivel down to give me a little more stretch room. They are spring loaded to swing back up when I move my feet back to the pegs so that they won't drag in the corners.

I haven't done a whole lot of looking yet, but I didn't realize there was an Ergo III. When you say they are adjustable in length, are you implying fore and aft or up and down?

I have looked some at the Mick o pegs....they seem to ride extremely low...or is that just an illusion in the pictures.

captaindan
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Postby captaindan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 am

themainviking wrote:Kuryakyn has 2", 4" and 6" pegs for their Ergo II systems. I started with boards and the 6" and could not get them right. I switched to 4" with the boards and still was not happy, so finally I got to the 2" with the boards, and then I could not reach them. That is when I got pegs and started over again. I am shorter than you guys, and the 6" bars with pegs did the trick. For you taller guys, probably the 4" arms with the pegs would work for you. And if you are all leg, then the 2". I have a 31" inseam which translated into using the 6" bars, so a 33 inch inseam should be good to go on 4" bars and therefore, a 35" inseam would work okay with the 2" bars. Just a try at peg bar fitting, but as I am not a tailor, most of my math could be incorrect, :lol:

What length does the stock pegs come with?

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 am

captaindan wrote:I haven't done a whole lot of looking yet, but I didn't realize there was an Ergo III. When you say they are adjustable in length, are you implying fore and aft or up and down?

I have looked some at the Mick o pegs....they seem to ride extremely low...or is that just an illusion in the pictures.

The length of the arms is adjustable, so you can set them for the length that works best for you. Since the arms mount on the engine guard, you can also move the mounting point fore and aft on the bike. You can also adjust the angle that they mount on the bike if you prefer to have them higher. I have mine adjusted to the shortest length, mounted an inch or so back of the most forward position. I have the angle set so they are pointing back horizontally when my feet aren't on them (so they don't scrape in the corners), and when I put my feet on them they will swing down about 3". I have scraped the heel of my boot a couple times in the corners, but it's simple enough to lift my foot when that happens.

A friend of mine has Mick o pegs. He's a big guy (about 6'6") and when he is riding with his feet on the pegs, his heels are barely above the pavement. And that's after cutting the arms down a couple inches. I think I could have made the MOPs work, but I like the looks of the Kury arms better, and they seem to be more adaptable.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:48 am

Kuryakyn has some good looking stuff when it is new, but it won't be too long and the chrome starts to flake off. Check out some other brands and see what else is out there that may last longer. I wish I didn't have some of what I have. ;)
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 am

I've heard that complaint about Kury stuff for some time, but I've never had any problems. I've had their highway pegs on both my Wing and my old Royal Star, plus a lot of their other chrome bits. Never had an issue. I figure if it ever does become a problem I'll do what I've seen others do and sand the parts down and paint them with some flat black. But I'm more interested in function over fashion, so even if the chrome does start to pit or flake a bit it probably wouldn't bother me that much.

PastoT
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 (107k)

Postby PastoT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:08 pm

I also tried the Kury IIs with the stock 6" arms and couldn't get comfortable with them unless they were below horizontal - trust me you don't want to do that! I was going to the 4" and decided with a 34" inseam I'd go shorter and used the 1 1/2" (short arms) and I run them straight forward and they are close to perfect with the stock Kury II pegs. I think I could swing the arms down and still have fair clearance in turns as they don't drop very far even 90 degrees straight down, but I'm good. The inside of my knees still rest against the edge of the fairing which can be uncomfortable pretty quick, so the Kurry IIIs and MOPs are in my future. I'd love to have the cash for a set of MOPs but when a used set of DDs pop up I'm too slow and both MOPs and Kury IIIs are a bit pricey for me but I think that's the way to go.
Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 108k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Tom - come on out and you can try my Ergo IIIs.

If you already have a set of Ergo IIs on your bike you can just get the swing arms for the Ergo III. That would be less expensive than buying the whole thing.

captaindan
1981 Gl1100 Interstate
1982 GL1100 Interstate
2006 GL1800

Postby captaindan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:38 pm

The Ergo III's have caught my eye a bit. I wish I could find a video to see them work but no luck. They seem to have the most adjustment capabilities and I like that. They are pricey though. Could it be that the folks that find the finish to be less than par are riding in harsher climates? Seems to be a lot of variable opinions on that issue.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:45 am

I have not had a Kuryakyn product with a bad finish, or with a finish that went bad, but perhaps I have not had them long enough. Time will indeed tell. So far, so good. I have spoken with people who said their chrome peeled, and they spoke with Kuryakyn reps at rallies and all parts were replaced for free. So, they stand behind their stuff.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Guess that I need to find a rally and see if I can find a rep to talk to. Even my handle grips are shedding chrome.

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Return to “Goldwing Chat”