Shipping It Home

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Shipping It Home

Postby Solina Dave » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip from my home in the Toronto area, probably west to Idaho, south to Utah, and back home again. I did it about 30 or 35 years ago on my '78 wing and all went well. However, now my motorcycle, and myself for that matter, are considerably older, and I'm trying to consider what I would do if my motorcycle became disabled, and had to be transported home, possibly over a considerable distance.
I've got CAA/AAA coverage to get the motorcycle to a repair shop, but in this case the assumption would be that repair on-site isn't an option, and now I have to find a way to get it home.
Has anyone been faced with this unfortunate dilemma, and if so, can you offer me any advice or direction? One would have to bear in mind, that a border crossing would be involved, and also one would want the entire process to be well organized, and carried out fairly quickly, so I wouldn't be stranded for too long. Any help here would be very welcome, and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Something for under a million dollars would be nice....................Dave

"Assume Nothing"

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Shipping It Home

Postby cbx4evr » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:19 pm

It happened to a fellow I know here in Alberta. He flew home, got his truck and rented a trailer and drove back to the USA to get his bike.

Best not to worry about hypothetical situations. If it does happen it will make your holiday an adventure.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm thinking it would be quite a bit cheaper to get it fixed there, than to get a flight home and have it shipped home. (probably in the $700 - $1000 range to do both, depending on distance)

Just do all your preventative maintenance and then go for it.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:49 am

That would be my choice. Fix it either where it sits, or get it to the closest place that it could be fixed, and continue the trip. However, I am retired, and time is not in short supply.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

celford30
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby celford30 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 am

Okay let's consider this. Something serious has happened, You didn't identify your bike or it's age. Your first problem is you don't want to junk or abandon your bike, you believe it still has life remaining. Second problem to consider is there are shops that won't work on a bikes that are older than 10, 20 years olds or older (good thing they don't treat people this way). I'm considering completing an iron butt run and this is my fallback plan. Rent a U-Haul van or truck one-way. In your case you may have to rent to Winsor, cross the border on your own, rent a hauler (or retrieve your trailer on the other side of border. I added the switch on the hauler because there might be big jump in price in a one-way rental into Canada or worse a big hassle with customs or just the border guards alone. That's my two cent!!!!!!!!!!1

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Postby Solina Dave » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks a lot for your ideas so far guys. First of all, although I did say I had a '78 wing, maybe I wasn't clear that I'm still riding the same motorcycle. The difference being is that now it has about 650,000 kms./400,000 very well maintained miles on it, with an engine job done during a stator replacement at about 300,000 kms. Currently, it's running very well.
I'm certainly not worried, and I wouldn't hesitate to set out on an trip like this, but I am interested in others thoughts as to how they would cope, if faced with a serious breakdown.
Money is always a factor of course, but value is subjective. One might look at my motorcycle and see 300 bucks. They have the right to be wrong! Another sees $3,000. Myself, I see a lot more than that, and it has very little to do with money. One thing is for certain. Long before I abandon it, or kick it into the ditch, I'll simply put a match to it!
Thanks again Dusty for your route suggestions. I drew on your ideas quite a lot, and right now it's hovering around 10,000 kms./6,000 miles. I can hardly wait!
Planning is almost as much fun as being retired Viking, and the best part about being retired is, you don't have to go to work!!

Dave
Attachments
"Assume Nothing"

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:48 pm

If I had an older Goldwing and it looked like the shape that yours is in. :D I wouldn't be too worried about it making the trip. Besides, if you got access to a computer, you could allways contact this site. and I would be surprised if you didn't get some help from someone on here to help you out in a bind. 8-)
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:24 pm

Take an extra clutch and throttle cable, a small portable 12v air compressor and a tire plug kit.
Only two 'catastrophic' issues that are possible as I see it, are stator, or blown head gaskets that would require substantial down time

huggiebear
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800 airbag
2005 GL1800 with side Car and Trailer

Postby huggiebear » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:54 pm

hello to everyone!
Dave years ago I've bought a VTX1800 in Alabama and I haded shipped to Buffalo NY on the other side of Niagara falls 1 hour from Toronto and cost me 500$.
BTW there is room for another old man "retiree" to tag along with you guys?
I've been planning to go to visit Canada east coast for the past 3 years , but for one reason or another I kept postponing, this year is the year, now or never we get old fastttttttttt!
Did You ever done it? I heard its very nice but some road are not paved , I hope I find someone to go with I don't really want to go alone.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”