One gone home

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

One gone home

Postby ka4yqi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:48 am

The wife and I had a lovely ride today up in the north Georgia mountains. Just about 300 miles. I had something today that never happen before. On of the roads had the tar snakes on it, never gave me any problems before, but today I had one of them made the front end slip about 4 inchs at 55 mph in a cure. Kinda stardel me. I didn't jerk or anything. just rode it out. Running Dunlop E3, been a great tire on the 2 goldwings that I had.

Pray for the family that just lost a son ,father, and or a husband. As we were on hiway 53 headed west between Dawsonville and Jasper we ran up on a accident that involve a dump truck and a motorcycle. I knew that he was not to far in front of us, because I seen him in Dawsonville. I didnt stop, because there were at least 7 folks there, but what I saw was one I have seen so many times before due to the 18 years I was in law enforcment. When I got home, I contacted a few folks up that way and was told that the young man was killed instantly. So most of the trip was great till the last. I have not told her that he passed.

I had to write this down tonight to get it out of my mind because me and the wife going to make another great ride tomorrow

Thanks
Steve

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: One gone home

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:12 am

No need to mention it to her...I wouldn't...Sorry you had to see that... I always tell the kids to look away when we pass a seen of an accident...

ankgrays
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 interstate

Postby ankgrays » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:48 am

I've seen alot of sh!t in my 17 years in LE too. Still bugs me when I run onto a bad accident. Especially when young people or kids are involved.

No need to tell her...just enjoy the ride, and your time together.
I don't tolerate voluntary stupidity very well, and it seems to be rampant now-a-days.

"One of the problems about quotes from the internet, is that one cannot confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:19 pm

I was a collision analyst & reconstructionist for 15 years of my career as an LEO. I had to go to every serious & fatal collision in the area, lead the Crash Team, and do all the reconstructions, preparation of all reports, attend & photograph all the autopsies, prepare and give evidence in court, and deal with the families of all those involved.

Quite a few of them involved motorcycles, of course. Interestingly (although I'm not going to draw the obvious conclusion), approximately 80% - 90% of the motorcycle fatalities involved Harley-Davidsons.

When you're an Analyst/Reconstructionist, you have to try to remain objective and clinical - if you let emotions enter into it, you're in trouble. I was pretty successful in that, for the most part, basically burying the emotional part by force of will until I retired.

Funny - now that I'm retired, I relive the carnage at those scenes in my dreams, the faces at autopsy, the visits to families to tell them their loved ones aren't coming home, the wreckage on the highways...I guess even the most objective among us are not immune, despite our best intentions to be the consummate professionals we're expected to be.

Whenever I pass by a bad crash scene now, just by looking at it I know precisely what happened, how it happened, and whether or not it's a fatal crash. I kind of wish it weren't so - my wife, and others, always have hope that all will turn out okay for those involved and for their families. Knowing the truth is not a blessing, unfortunately.

On behalf of those who carry on investigating these crashes, I wish them all the best. Most people don't have cause to think about the toll this takes on the professionals who have to deal with these crashes, day-in and day-out, often for months at a time on each investigation. They have to deal intimately with the families, the friends, the co-workers of the deceased, and there is an enormous emotional load on them. They have to bury this baggage and carry on, knowing that, sooner or later, they'll have to deal with it.

Those folks are not just cops, they're unsung heroes. They're scientists who speak for the dead, and their families, when the crash is long-forgotten by the world. They carry a lot of weight on their shoulders. Everyone knows the toll these crashes take on the families and friends of those involved in these crashes - but let's not forget the others who toil on, doing what they can to help.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to be a rant of any kind. Believe me, I grieve for those lost in these crashes...every single one of them. Even my best friend of 45 years became a victim in a motorcycle crash, just a few months ago, and I still grieve for him and his widow, every single day. But I still know that there are those out there who also have to deal with these deaths, every day, and their service is, for the most part, unknown. The reason for my post was to illuminate their contributions...and to thank them for their caring and their service.

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:07 pm

As a retired Firefighter/Paramedic I too have seen more than I would have cared to and lost too many people. May he Rest in Peace and his family remember him for all the happiness he shared with them.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Amen to that, my brother.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”