Looking for Jacket

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Firstwinger
Motorcycle: 1994 Gl1500 Aspencade
83 Honda XL 185S
83 Honda Shadow 750
Previous Bikes 81 GL500I Silverwing, 83 Yamaha XS 400 Special, Yamaha Warrior 350, Honda XR 80,Kawasaki 250 ATV, Yamaha Blaster 200 Honda 200 ATV.

Looking for Jacket

Postby Firstwinger » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 am

I am looking for a jacket that works well with Goldwings. My concern is airflow in the summer. Goldwing's do not let a lot of air get to you. I want something that gives some protection, cool in summer, warm in cool riding. So I have looked at a Olympia Renegade mesh, Joe Rocket Skyline GW jacket, Joe Rocket Atomic 4. Joe Rocket is hard to find in a store to try on, but the little I have seen they all run small. I also do not want something heavy feeling, with multiple layers, like some that are out there.

What have you had good luck with? Thanks for the input.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Looking for Jacket

Postby Happytrails » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Have heard good things about Joe Rocket jackets. Haven't had a chance to try one on yet. My summer jacket is a Tourmaster Intake 3 mesh I bought thru Revzilla. I rode with it all last summer and at its price point its a great jacket. And I say it that way because the jacket isnt very expensive so I had concerns. It comes with a thermal liner and a rain liner. With the liners all out it feels good. On the bike on an 80 degree day with liners out it feels like not wearing a jacket at all it moves that much air. I've had all the liners in on a 39 degree ride this spring and it felt comfortable except my neck was exposed. It has 1600 cordura ballistic nylon at the wear areas and CE rated armor for shoulders and elbows. It has foam at the back but no armor. You can buy an armor insert for the back though as there is a pocket. Nice summer jacket and would recommend it to anybody on a budget. Someone from work was wearing one and it looked like a nice jacket.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:04 pm

I confess to being a fan of First Gear Jackets. For riding in late fall, winter and early spring I really like my Kilimanjaro. It is water proof--I've tested this repeated in serious downpours--has vents to let air in and through to be usable to the mid 80's.

Because of my great luck with that First Gear Jacket, I have a First Gear mesh jacket. They have two mesh jackets the Mesh Tex and the Rush Mesh. I have the Mesh Tex. both come with a liner that is water resistant but zips out for easy use. Both my Kilimanjaro and Mesh jackets are in the DayGlo yellow color. After all why not be seen a little better?

I have looked at others and would probably go with an Olympia but not till these are worn out. My last Kilimanjaro lasted 9 years and was still good but I got a great deal on the new Kilimanjaro. I have had the Mesh for two years with no problems.

You can look at them at the First Gear website at: http://www.firstgear-usa.com/staging/me ... ckets.html

They have a store locator to find the place nearest to you to go shop for them. usually the jackets are cheaper if bought online.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

rudolphwolven
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 K1

Postby rudolphwolven » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:38 pm

Proud winner of the NGWClub-USA contest Bike of the Year 2016--Image

A2Wing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby A2Wing » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 pm

First off, I am always looking for the deal. That being said, I have an XElement jacket that i bought through Amazon. You can also get them from Leatherup.com. My jacket has 8 zippered vents. 2 on the front, below the chest, 2 on the shoulders, 1 on each sleeve, and 2 going down the back side of the jacket. The vents work really well on hot days, and the zip out lining keeps me warm at 40° or less. Xelement jackets have very good reviews on Amazon. Fortunately, I haven't had to put it to the test, as far as protection is concerned. Mine has skid pads in the elbows and shoulders. They do run SMALL. I ordered 2 sizes over my regular size, and it fits well. Not all xelements have the vents. Oh yeah...the price was very reasonable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:32 am

I had a Joe Rocket convertible jacket for many years, that lasted me through hot and cold. You could unzip the outer layer exposing the mesh. It finally wore out, zippers broke, etc. and I went to look for a new one.

The new Joe Rocket jackets were of much poorer quality than my 8 year old jacket - poor stitching, loose threads, cheaper zippers, etc. I wasn't impressed. I went with an Olympia Airglide jacket. This is a fantastic jacket that breathes a ton of air, is made well, and has a liner you can zip in if it gets cooler.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:52 pm

I also use First Gear, to me they are worth their weight in gold. The jacket by itself has zippered vents both front and rear. It also has enough pockets to keep you in suspense every time you try to find something. It's also waterproof so you don't need to carry extra rain gear. The liner zips in place and snaps on the sleeves. The pants and jacket are both armored with removable pads so the whole unit can be washed. When you consider that this is a three seasons set, the price isn't all that bad.
Proud member Patriot Guard

CMReynolds1
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Postby CMReynolds1 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 pm

This is good jacket also Men's Skyline 2.0 Mesh GW Jacket Wine by Joe Rocket.
Ride Safe,
Taz

TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

Firstwinger
83 Honda XL 185S
83 Honda Shadow 750
Previous Bikes 81 GL500I Silverwing, 83 Yamaha XS 400 Special, Yamaha Warrior 350, Honda XR 80,Kawasaki 250 ATV, Yamaha Blaster 200 Honda 200 ATV.

Postby Firstwinger » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for all of the great input. I was wondering if for summer riding I need a mesh jacket over non mesh due to the full fairing. I am unsure how much air flow I will or will not get. Please let me know what you have seen.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:22 pm

''..summer riding I need a mesh jacket over non mesh due to the full fairing..''
The mesh goes under the jacket, creates a space for air seep in.

I've only have one rain jacket with the mesh where it doesn't do me much good.
I'm sure there are better jackets with larger/thicker mesh.

The 1500 at the mirrors boots has a rectangle hole. There you can rig up a 1-1/4" thin wall drain hose that's directed to your jackets sleeves. What I do is leave my left sleeve loose, right tight, and jacket zipped up. I'll direct the left mirror airflow into the left sleeve and it puffs up my jacket like the Michelin Man. 15 -30 seconds of that and I'm cooled off.

I've read where some have installed the Vetter round vents in the windshield. They claim it works well.
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

Firstwinger
83 Honda XL 185S
83 Honda Shadow 750

Postby Firstwinger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input. I was at a Honda dealer this past week, and found a great deal on a new Joe Rocket Velocity mesh jacket. Fits well, & seems like it will flow a good amount of air. This summer will tell. Thanks Again!

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 pm

I think that you will be real happy with that Joe Rocket mesh jacket. :) And for those of you that think that you don't get enough air flow, you need to take a look at Baker Air Wings. You can direct the air out away from you in cold weather and then turn them in to put all the air you want in the heat. They also make Hand Wings that attach to the mirrors that work the same way. I love them! ;) And if your windshield is vented, you can do that too. I live in Florida and ride year round and allways wear my Joe Rocket and a full face helmet. I haven't felt uncomfortable yet. 8-) CycleMax carries them (the wings) all the time :D
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:28 am

Can't help with the jacket however I agree about the wind wings. They are a life saver in the summer by directing airflow over the arms and body. If you don't have one a vent is good also.

Tom
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Firstwinger
83 Honda XL 185S
83 Honda Shadow 750

Postby Firstwinger » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:49 am

This winter I did replace my windshield with a larger, wider, & vented windshield. I am hoping that the mesh jacket and vent will keep me cool. I will also take a look at the wings. They seem like they work very well. If summer ever gets to the north east I will be able to test this setup. it's only 49 today ARGHHH. On the flip side I did ride with the mesh jacket in the 45 degree weather to see how it would work in cooler weather. I had the liner in, and a sweat shirt seemed to work very well. Hopefully it is a good in hot.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”