GL1200 CB - No Audio Transmit

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mrscott25

GL1200 CB - No Audio Transmit

Postby mrscott25 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

I have a new bug that I can't quite figure out. I supect the amp or the modulator but I am pretty much guessing.

I will try to be as thorough as I can if anyone can help.

My bike is a 1986 GL1200 Aspencade. Bike has 152K. ALL electronics and components work and the bike has been mantained and serviced (correctly) since new. -- No aftermarket gizmos are installed on the bike which could affect the electronics suite.

The problem is with my CB. I can hear perfectly. No problems with reception that I can detect. The stereo audio cuts in and out correctly when the CB receives a signal (Both in the Helmet and on the Dash Speakers). Stereo antenna seems to work fine as I get remarkably good reception even a long way from town.

I can transmit a signal as usual, meaning other bikes can hear me for a distance of 2-3 miles but no voice is sent. Specifically, an audible "click" is heard by other bikes when I press the PTT button but no voice is transmitted. When I attempt to transmit, I can hear my voice in my helmet speakers. Also, absolutely the same symptoms with three different helments (I think it rules out helmet mic failure) and no change if I put them on the driver or passenger CB jacks (using the rear PTT button).

Does anyone have a clue if this is likley in the Amp or the CB unit itself -- or better yet had this happen to them? I have opened the left fairing pocket and "wiggled" every connection I can find which does not seem to make any diffrence.

I suspect I am going to have to repair or replace the CB or Amp components, but neither is cheap and I would like to narrow it down before throwing money at it.

Thanks,
Scott

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1200 CB - No Audio Transmit

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 pm

It could be a problem in the CB or the intercom - either could be a broken wire in a cable, or a broken trace on a PC board.

If you have the diagnostic and technical skills, you could possibly trace it down yourself. If you can do without your CB and intercom for a couple weeks, I'd recommend sending them both to Sierra Electronics, who will fix it for a base rate of $100 plus shipping. They're reliable and highly recommended.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”