Hearing degeneration

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
RockyRural
Motorcycle: 2014 GL1800 Goldwing

Re: Hearing degeneration

Post by RockyRural » Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 am

WingAdmin wrote:I've thought about those - I have custom-molded earplugs that I wear while riding, and they cut out a ton of wind noise. Like you, I also have fairly advanced hearing damage, and 24/7 loud tinnitus. Makes it very difficult to hear people talking when there is any background noise. I really want to protect what I have left.

So I wear my earplugs, and turn up the speakers in the helmet so that I can hear them through the earplugs. That cuts down on the signal/noise ratio considerably - but also requires that a passenger also wear earplugs, or their ears would be blasted out by the volume of the headset in the helmet.
G'day from Australia, I wear ear buds (Ok down here) which I connect directly to my SENA 20S. Whilst on the bike I've connected the Goldwing systems to a SENA SM10, this channels the music/GPS/MP3 etc directly to the SENA 20S (both my wife and mine) and we can adjust the volume independently to suit each other using the volume controls on the SENA 20S. Works perrrfectly.

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by SlowTyper » Mon May 04, 2015 11:36 pm

My wife nearly always wears [foam] earplugs when we ride. And I never make adjustments to the radio or intercom volume due to the fact she is wearing earplugs.

As a practical matter, my radio and intercom volume is set to be just a little louder than the surrounding noise (trucks, cars, wind, etc.) - otherwise I would be unable to hear it above the noise. The earplugs of course reduce the volume of everything. But since they provide 20-30 decibels of volume reduction (as noted in a previous post), everything is still audible.

Now let's look at an example using math: The wind noise is at about 85 decibels, and the radio/intercom is at about 90 decibels; that's what I hear. Because of her earplugs, my wife hears the wind noise at about 60 decibels, and the radio/intercom at about 65 decibels - which is completely audible for normal people.

My wife could substitute ear buds for earplugs and achieve nearly the same result for her, except the radio/intercom would need to be turned down proportional to the amount of isolation that the ear buds provide. That would mean I too would have to wear ear buds in order for me to hear. However, as noted earlier, there can be legal harassment for using this approach - even though it is a perfectly good solution (note that ear buds would not reduce the volume of a siren any more than the cabin of a new car, and in fact a motorcyclist wearing ear buds can probably hear a siren easier than a semi driver hears it).

So... my suggestion is to simply wear earplugs. The relative volume between sound sources (radio, intercom, sirens) remains the same, but the overall volume is reduced to an acceptable level.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Fri May 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Picked up the new custom ear buds today. They were made by Perfect Seal out of Witchata Ks: http://www.perfect-seal.com. Only went for a short ride to try them out, but so far I love them. They block out a lot of the wind noise but I can still hear the music without having to crank up the volume. Once the weather clears up I'll go for a ride with my wife and we'll see how well they work for the comm system.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

VTBikeman
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Double Darksider Heh Heh Heh . . .

Post by VTBikeman » Fri May 15, 2015 10:50 pm

For what it's worth - The MSF recommends hearing protection.

Hearing Protection
Long-term exposure to engine and wind noise can cause permanent hearing damage, even if you have a quiet motorcycle and wear a full-face helmet. Whether you choose disposable foam plugs or reusable custom-molded devices, properly worn hearing protection reduces noise, while allowing you to hear important sounds like car horns and sirens. Make sure you follow your state’s laws when using hearing protection.
For more information on the importance of protective gear and for answers to other motorcycle safety-related questions, visit msf-usa.org.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Sun May 17, 2015 7:32 pm

Went out for a couple hours on the bike today with my wife on the back. The ear buds are fantastic! They blocked out almost all of the wind noise but I could still hear the music playing and my wife talking over the intercom without having to crank it up like I would with plain earplugs. I highly recommend going this route for anybody with similar problems. The ear buds that I got cost me $130 through the audiologist, plus another $80 for the J&M lower cable with the connector for them. I think the Decibulz earplugs that I see advertised here from time to time would probably work just as well though, for about $70 less.
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

transitmanuk
Motorcycle: 1978 goldwing 1000 gl

Hearing loss

Post by transitmanuk » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi there, read in the May newsletter about hearing loss. What seems to be the only cure for tinnitus is using the new type of electronic hearing aids. Friend of mine who has suffered for years got them and the ringing stopped, whilst he wears them. He was crewman on RAF Shackletons for many years and the roar of 4 Griffons did it for him.
Hope this helps
Barry

Rockalbert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by Rockalbert » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:36 am

Your hearing is something you really need to be careful with. :| Well I suggest those Sony noise cancellation ear buds too. :)