Trunk Rack: Kuryakyn vs. Show Chrome

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Trunk Rack: Kuryakyn vs. Show Chrome

Postby Happytrails » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Thinking about adding a trunk rack and was wondering if anybody had any opinions. I've read that sometimes Kuryakyn chrome can flake so not sure whats happening there. Does anybody have any experiences with either of these that might help me choose?

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Re: Trunk Rack: Kuryakyn vs. Show Chrome

Postby Fatwing Chris » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:07 am

You might want to check and see if Honda still has one available for the 1500.I really don't think either one listed will be all that good.
Hard to get good chrome these days with all the strict regulations.I remember the Drag Specialty stuff used to be awesome,but you don't see much of them anymore.I always had the tube type on all my other Wings(bought bikes used so I don't know which brand)and never really had any problems,but they were always garaged at home and covered on a trip.The one I have now is billet alum(Kury)and it pealed bad on the top and generally looked bad underneath.Just got it back from being powder coated which suits me fine as I don't care much for all that shiny stuff anyway.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:38 pm

A few people may have experienced flaking chrome due to a bad stage in the chroming process, Chris has a point, but if you keep a tube rack well waxed paying attention to the underside and legs, either will serve you well.

If you want top notch, and cannot find GoldWing chromed stainless accessory manufacturers in the US then go here
http://www.jvrproducts.co.uk/index.php
They are in the Netherlands, I have bought many chromed stainless product from them for 1500 and 1800, also all the chrome racks fenders and trims for my International trailer. Email them about shipping.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:43 am

Big Blue UK wrote:A few people may have experienced flaking chrome due to a bad stage in the chroming process, Chris has a point, but if you keep a tube rack well waxed paying attention to the underside and legs, either will serve you well.

If you want top notch, and cannot find GoldWing chromed stainless accessory manufacturers in the US then go here
http://www.jvrproducts.co.uk/index.php
They are in the Netherlands, I have bought many chromed stainless product from them for 1500 and 1800, also all the chrome racks fenders and trims for my International trailer. Email them about shipping.

Don't see how waxing could compensate for poor quality.The billet alumn corroded under the chrome.If the base material isn't prepped properly then the chrome isn't going to stick.It looks far better now that it's powder coated anyway.Just got it back on yesturday.

Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Fatwing Chris wrote: Don't see how waxing could compensate for poor quality.The billet alumn corroded under the chrome.If the base material isn't prepped properly then the chrome isn't going to stick.It looks far better now that it's powder coated anyway.Just got it back on yesturday.

I said you have a point meaning I agreed with you. Happytrails asked about experience with Kuryakyn steel round racks for a 1500, I have fitted about 10 steel round chrome 1500 Kury racks with no quality complaints, I said nothing about waxing rubbish quality chrome on a billet alloy rack, and I have yet to personally see a 1500 Kury round chrome rack with flaking chrome that has not been chipped or dropped. Your billet alloy 1800 rack is quite irelavent to what was asked. If the question was should I buy a billet alloy rack for a 1800, I would have advised to buy stainless or prepare for possible re finishing. Think we just got our transatlantic wires crossed :)

The colour of your wing looks a great red, do you have any full size pics. If red was my colour, I would coat all metal and alloy chrome black as you have. I am not too impressed with 1800 stock matt dull black that is not actual main body paintwork, I would re do most of the black too too but that is just MO.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was definitely leaning towards the tube racks. Being that Show Chrome and Kuryakyn both offered trunk racks that not only looked nearly identical but had simialr pricing it helps to know that they are good quality. I love chrome and am trying to add the right amount without getting carried away :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 am

I'm far from done with the black,but just doing it when I have the time.
Here's a poor shot of the whole thing.The chrome just doesn't work with this crappy red colour,that's why the blackout.

This one is from last year,but it shows the parts on the front and bottom that I changed
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Fatwing Chris

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:29 am

Happytrails wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was definitely leaning towards the tube racks. Being that Show Chrome and Kuryakyn both offered trunk racks that not only looked nearly identical but had simialr pricing it helps to know that they are good quality. I love chrome and am trying to add the right amount without getting carried away :D

I'd definitely stick with the tube racks.They seem to stand up better

BTW Sorry for hijacking the thread with my crap.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Hoosier Jack
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Hoosier Jack » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:58 am

I agree about the red and black. I want to eventually paint my 1100 to match my old truck and I am doing the same thing to it. Went black with the bed rails, tool box, seats, dash, carpet and taillights. I would make the headlights black if I could. :D It would be fun to do the bike the same.

The last rack I had for the former Gold Wing trunk was stainless with strips of rubber in it. Got it with the bike and it always looked nice. Seems to me that if you keep a chrome unit clean and polished, and watch what you put on it, then it should last quite a long time. Whichever vendor you choose. It is rare for me to see someone using it to be honest. I know people do though. Kuryakyn and Show Chrome are pretty respected companies.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”