I can't say THANK YOU enough...

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

I can't say THANK YOU enough...

Postby 80Winger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:02 am

I have spent a good part of the last 13 months reading the wonderful, informative, and very helpful DIYs here, the discussions, and the overwhelming amount of cumulative knowledge the members have, either locked in their heads or at their disposal.

I have lurked here learning, researching, and taking with me the information I needed to rebuild my 1980 GL1100.

I paid $200 for it in March 2014 and have invested slightly over $3000 to bring "LAZARUS" back to life.
I am so proud of how it came out, I put some of the 8gb of photos I took along the way to music and then I put it on YouTube.

Please watch what your collective knowledge helped me build...
And THANK YOU all for sharing what was invaluable to me over the past 386 days.

Meet Lazarus!

Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: I can't say THANK YOU enough...

Postby Mh434 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:02 am

Wow! That's BEAUTIFUL, man!! Impressive, indeed - great job!!

Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:32 am

WE sure did a great job on that restore. :D :lol: Looking good!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Rob H
Motorcycle: 2000 1500 SE, XR 650, CBR 600, Harley FB, KLR 650, CBX 750 Cafe Racer, Z1000 Eddie Lawson.

Postby Rob H » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:42 am

Absolutely Beautiful!

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE
1992 GL1500I (sold)
1986 GL1200A (sold)
2002 HD FXDL Low Rider (sold)
1993 Yamaha Virago XV1000 (sold)
Too many others to list

Postby NVSB4 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:09 am

I can't say WOW enough!

Great YouTube video showing the process and all the painstaking steps you went through and attention to every small detail.
(I also love the background music).

Got to ask, you say that you put $3000 into the restore.
Where did you find that most of it went towards?
How did you get some of the restored parts looking new again?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wings

Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Postby 80Winger » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm not seeking kudos and compliments, just sharing my experiences with like-minded friends who appreciate our Goldwings.

I kept an Excel spreadsheet of every penny that went into the rebuild. Other than the bike itself, the most expensive items were the spare motor ($450), then the seat reupholstering ($250). The 4 carb rebuild kit was $140, the tires came to $138, and the engine gasket kit was $132. In one EBay order, I spent $126 on 2 engine heads, 2 ignition coils and a tail lamp assembly w/o the turn signal mounts from a CB900. The coils turned out to be cracked crap and that was a waste.The water pump was $120, the starter $78 and the Interstate battery was $72.

A big part of the expenses after those above were many small parts that were found along the way in need of replacement. For instance, the pick up coils in the back of the motor were bad on my replacement motor (one side) I was firing on the two rear cylinders only and that unit had to be replaced. Not wanting to pull the motor back out, I opted for removing the swing arm. And as we all know, you need a special tool for the swing arm bolts. One thing leads to another. Anyway, I bought TWO extra vacuum housings with the coils and used the better of the two and I now have a spare.

A lot was also spent on supplies like fluids, some on tools I broke or didn't have, random parts I either needed or wanted and didn't original have. The shade over the gauges is an example. I didn't have one when I bought the bike and looked for months until I found one for $30. The nickel and dime items added up pretty fast and that's not charging for labor.

And to be honest, some of the money was wasted on parts that didn't quite work out. In the beginning, I bought parts to rebuilt the original chrome turn signal stalks and lamps that were mounted to the rear tail light housing. I decided I didn't like the look and moved to the frame mounted lamps you see on the bike now. These are vintage Honda (rear) and Suzuki (front) turn signals and the old school look I was looking for. So, not only did I waste money on the original stalks and lenses, I then bought the ones I eventually used. Same goes for a plastic headlight bucket. Bought that and intended to paint and use it until I came across a chrome one.

Turn signal flasher, handlebar grips, oil and air filters, starter solenoid, brake caliper rebuild kits, a new front master cylinder, Moly paste, NEW ignition coils, wires and NGK boots, spark exciters, brake pads, a new choke cable...and a LOT more. I am intimately familiar with every item and every inch of this beast!

As far as getting parts to look good, I went through a lot of steel wool and I used rotary (round) bristle brushes on my DeWalt drill. This is how I did the fork tubes, rear master cylinder housing, handlebar mount caps and a ton of other parts. They don't look as good under bright sunlight as they do in the pictures. Specifically the chrome. The headlight mounting ears are pitted. I couldn't get rid of ALL the rust and pits, but I did get rid of most of it. I spent hours and hours taking things apart and scrubbing the &^%$#@ out of them! Fun times!

Return to “Goldwing Chat”