Defense system: D.A.D.

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Defense system: D.A.D.

Postby dtrider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:12 am

Looks like an interesting concept. Not sure what I really think about it:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... ?ref=video

Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Defense system: D.A.D.

Postby dingdong » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm gonna have to try and wrap my head around that concept. ??????
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:14 pm

The kid messed up on that "T"-shirt.
It should read, "I love both my D.A.D.'s"

I can see where this auto D.A.D. can get irritating. Especially when the traffic light suddenly turn red, which seems to happen a lot at times.
Or maybe when you just want to stop quick and silent. HOOOOOOOOONK!!!!! :oops:

"IF" there's any chance there's a possible situation where I need to wake up a cage'r, I rest my thumb on the horn button... AT the ready. Which has happened many-a-time. Especially those lane changers who are too STIFF NECKED to look where they're going.

"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Those were some of my thoughts on it too. Since it only triggers AFTER you hit the brakes, that would mean that the cager has already cut you off, so as a prevention measure it's a failure. I guess if the goal is to let the cager know what an idiot he was, then in that case it might help.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:28 pm

It's an interesting concept, and the hardware is extremely simple (although he had better put some chokes and filtering capacitors on his power supply or the dirty power on a motorcycle bus is going to glitch his Arduino processor into oblivion).

I think I would write the algorithm so that it triggered when it saw a rapid negative acceleration delta - not necessarily hard braking, but a sudden transition from no braking to full braking. The kind of braking you do in a panic stop. When you get on the brakes hard, you typically aren't snatching and grabbing them suddenly, it's relatively gradual. Only during a panic stop are you going from no braking at all to full braking in a very short amount of time.

Harder still is going to be calibrating the thing to the weight of the bike it's attached to. What would be considered hard braking on a Goldwing could be every day slowing on a sport bike, in terms of rate of deceleration.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:34 pm

Ya.. .. the best thing we can do is keep one eye for our "OUT" and the other on the cars front tire where it's touching the road.
Interestingly, you'll see the tire turning or angling 'ever so slightly' when they're making a lane change or drift.

Different situation but good to mention here is...
Coming to any stop, I'll look in my mirrors for any driver who looks like they're not going to stop and yesterday just that happened. 3 lanes each way and I was already stopped. I seen it starting to unfold and maneuvered between two cars at the light. The person I was behind gave me "THE LOOK" in her left mirror. Well that van came to an Anti-Lock braking squeal right where I was. :shock: I looked at the kid driver and seen him put his phone down... red faced. I glanced up looking at that lady and she had a totally different "LOOK" on her face. The kid was a good driver while I was around. Hopefully he learned, .. .. but I doubt it.

And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 am

Yeah, I kinda agree that the key to staying alive and well on a motorcycle is to train the riders, not the cagers. Defensive driving takes on new meaning when one rides.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:08 pm

WingAdmin wrote:"...he had better put some chokes and filtering capacitors on his power supply or the dirty power on a motorcycle bus is going to glitch his Arduino processor into oblivion)".

Oh, MAN, WA!! I have no idea what you said there, but it's SERIOUSLY impressive!! :D

Your electronics knowledge is astounding - my hat's off to you! This electronic wizardry stuff confounds me completely. I once tried to build an extremely simple circuit, from a kit, with 'foolproof' directions, but I showed them! Foolproof, my foot! ALL the smoke came out of that thing the first instant I tried to power it up. :roll: I guess I just provided a better fool than they had accounted for.

All I could add is...what about the flux capacitors, and adding some sonic blasters in the 40 gigawatt range? :D

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:10 am

How about... The huge load that you just threw at your electrical system is going to mess with your bikes computer. :D :lol:
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Okay - that I can understand! When talking electrickery to me, you REALLY have to dumb it down! :lol:

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:30 pm

And I'm not sure that what I said was correct, but thats what I got out of it. Admin can confirm if I was correct.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:51 am

seelyark1 wrote:And I'm not sure that what I said was correct, but thats what I got out of it. Admin can confirm if I was correct.

Not really...they are using an off-the-shelf Arduino (computer on a chip) processor to run this D.A.D. product. Personally, I would have used a PIC chip, but Arduinos are a bit easier to write code for. Because it is a computer, it is sensitive to power - a power spike on the bus from, say, hitting the horn, could cause the processor to interpret the spike as a bit change, or misinterpret an instruction, or any of another million things. It can cause the thing to simply freeze, or start executing things incorrectly. Inside the "Bike PC" I built for my motorcycle, easily half of the space inside the box is taken up with chokes and capacitors in order to filter the input voltage to keep the processor happy.

The bike's computer is already designed with a hardened power supply that will filter any spikes or noise on the bus.

dtrider

Postby dtrider » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:06 pm

These days I do network code for embedded devices, but in a former life many years ago I was an electronics tech. I've thought about playing with a Raspberry Pi board for a couple things I wanted to do on the bike, but I didn't think about the dirty power supply. WingAdmin - would it be cleaner/safer to use the bike's power supply to charge a Li-Ion battery and run the board off the battery?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:20 pm

dtrider wrote:These days I do network code for embedded devices, but in a former life many years ago I was an electronics tech. I've thought about playing with a Raspberry Pi board for a couple things I wanted to do on the bike, but I didn't think about the dirty power supply. WingAdmin - would it be cleaner/safer to use the bike's power supply to charge a Li-Ion battery and run the board off the battery?

Unless you've got a DC-DC converter or something that completely decouples the bus power from the internal device power, you're still going to have to deal with spikes and transients. A Li-Ion battery will absorb a lot (just like the bike depends on its battery to absorb a ton of noise from the alternator, coils, etc) but not everything - the charge circuit will still be connected to the supply bus. Plus now you have the complexity of building a Li-Ion charge circuit into your device.

Even with chokes and caps, I was still getting a major transient that was crashing my LCD display whenever the starter was engaged, and I eventually traced it to a massive pulse coming in on the ground whenever you let go of the starter. A diode across the supply lines shut that down.

FM-USA
================
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
|
==================

Postby FM-USA » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:18 pm

grrrrr,
All these electronics needing chokes, diodes, rack'tifyers, hootch-a-ma-callit's to protect this an that an deUdder dings.

I'd love to see a modern 'no electronic' take on old vehicles from the 60's.
Get back to the Meat-and-Taters days of simplicity. Something that can be repaired on the road by the owner with vise-grips, hammer and tape.
. . vise-grips, hammer and tape, oh my.
. . . . . vise-grips, hammer and tape, oh my.
ToTo, get me that left handed Monkee wench.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:07 pm

Get back to the Meat-and-Taters days of simplicity. Something that can be repaired on the road by the owner with vise-grips, hammer and tape.
. . vise-grips, hammer and tape, oh my.
. . . . . vise-grips, hammer and tape, oh my.
ToTo, get me that left handed Monkee wench.

You left off the pliers, screw driver, and, most importantly, a length of fencing wire!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:42 pm

FM-USA wrote: ...get me that left handed Monkee wench. [/i][/b]

Believe it or not, my buddy actually HAS a left-handed crescent wrench! Seriously, the open/close knurl is reverse-threaded. It's the only one I've ever seen... :?

Return to “Goldwing Chat”