Always Thinking with my Head

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Always Thinking with my Head

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:35 pm

I came up with a creative way to get both valves released from the springs and keepers, See I have this clicking noise coming from my valve area and it's probably a worn end of the valve or something weird maybe a spring got broke but I am fixin to find out... I got another known good head yesterday from my friend for a small fee of course and I wanta play with it first,,, I wanted to figure out a homemade solution to safely remove the springs without getting hit in the face :shock: ...This works fabulously, I gotta say,, I just retrieve the keepers right from the top with a small magnet, it's self explanatory.....Best of all you get both springs at once man.... Hello, show me another tool that can do that :lol: , then just turn the head around and remove the inner one's....I used 1/2" all thread and nuts and washers and some flat stock...Here are some photo's...None of this one at a time crap,,,lol :lol: I like my tool....Cheap and simple to make...Just gotta think a little... That's something I'm good at, in my own mind anyway :lol: .... :lol: :lol: If I ain't screwin something else up.... :lol:
....Hope you fella's like it..I sure do....I just drilled the hole for the all threads the same angle as how the springs set, works good...I have about 5" of thread I don't need but I may need that length for something else later so I ain't cutting it down...I put the followers back in place in just a snap...

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Always Thinking with my Head

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Nice solution,

when you remove the spring retainers, I presume the valve will fall down. then when you release the all thread - I suppose you release each side slowly until all tension is off - then take the springs off.

Do you have a similar method for putting the springs and retainers back on? - as I think you might need to hold the valve up into the head when putting them back? Sorry if this sounds picky - just me wanting to know if that would occur - as I might just make one of those in the future.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Oh yeah I forgot, I put a folded up paper towel under each valve to keep it from dropping down, just for that purpose... Good question though... :D Does work well.. yes I back the screws out easy and go down easy...Thanks Aussie, it's homemade but sometimes homemade ideas are just as good...Sometimes better.. Some will still want there custom factory tools though, I'll get beer with the money I saved... :lol:

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Postby tom84std » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:56 am

I like that idea. It's on soft wood, not gonna scratch anything. Stable, the flats are held together solidly on both ends. Not gonna slip and send pieces across the street. Put everything in a bag and hang on the wall for next time. That turned out very nicely!

littlebeaver

Homemade valve tool

Postby littlebeaver » Fri May 01, 2015 12:52 am

I forgot to post this before but I cut two wooden wedges the same angle as the valves and they sit flush with the head, I use painters tape to hold them right over the valve so they stay put if any pressure goes downwards from the press tool, much better than paper towels.....

Return to “Goldwing Chat”