Goldwing Trike info

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
cruiser1800
Motorcycle: 2006 Goldwing Trike Champion kit
2007 VTX1800T2

Goldwing Trike info

Postby cruiser1800 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:35 am

I ride a VTX1800T and I need to switch to a trike. I like the Goldwing and I have just recently started looking for GW trikes for sale in my area. I've never owned a trike, I have ridden one and I am looking for any info on what to look for and what to avoid.

One question is the rear end, should I look for a solid axle or I think they are called a torsion bar setup, if I am wrong on the last don't thrash me.
I see some mention air bags, I am assuming that this pertains to the rear end for a better ride.
I know some aren't raked, my neighbor Lehman wasn't, what rake degree is recommended?

I live in North Idaho near Sandpoint, which is near Spokane, so I am not in a large populated area like LA, Frisco, New York, etc. The pickings are not as good as the big city. I don't want to trike my X. I what the fancier trike, but not a new one.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

Rodney

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Goldwing Trike info

Postby themainviking » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:51 pm

I have only one bit of advice. When you decide which one you want and start looking for it, do not limit yourself to your general area. If you need to travel to get the bike you want, then you should do just that. You will be far happier with what you end up with.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 pm

+1 what The Main Viking said.

One question is the rear end, should I look for a solid axle or I think they are called a torsion bar setup, if I am wrong on the last don't thrash me.
I see some mention air bags, I am assuming that this pertains to the rear end for a better ride.
I know some aren't raked, my neighbor Lehman wasn't, what rake degree is recommended?

Read more: viewtopic.php?t=27100#ixzz3YNg7st9j

Most prefer the Independent Rear Suspension as it provides a smoother ride. Others prefer the solid axle. I prefer the Independent.

The suspension setup will depend on the maker.

Some makers offer different rakes, with between 4 and 5 degrees of rake being the norm. It makes steering a lot easier, and is recommended by most trike riders.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Fatboy46
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade with Roadsmith Trike kit

Postby Fatboy46 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:47 pm

If you Trike your VTX CHECK out Roadsmith. They ADD 8-12 inches wheelbase for smoother ride for you AND especially the passenger. If you are a tall man that will let you get a seat that gives you better leg room. Get the extra gas tank option at the start NOT Add on.saves $$. :D Roadsmith is an IRS and that is the ONLY rear suspension you want. NOTHING else rides as well. I know Harley Trike riders that sold their trike to get IRS kits. There are other excelent brands- as well,(Hannigan is one)- DO get the rake kit for the triple tree. It is IMPERATIVE for safer steering and ride. Air shocks or adj progressive springs are a personal pref. Also, the running boards keep spray off you and passenger.

Return to “Goldwing Chat”