my stunning gl1100 1982

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
brentsboats
Motorcycle: may 2015
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

my stunning gl1100 1982

Postby brentsboats » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:47 am

Well i got the old girl out of the kids garage only a few days ago .As i took off the cover i had to take a step back .I had forgotten just how sweet this little goldwing looked . But as i went to start her ,there was nothing there but a click .So off to walmart i go looking for a new battery .Watch out cause they will trick you when it comes time to pick out the right battery. Some have pos post on the left and some on the right .It dont say on the box so you have to open up them all to find the right one for your bike . I could tell that the walmart worker was not to happy watching me open up almost all the battery boxes on the shelve ,but hell ,whats i guy to do ? After i picked out the right battery it was back to the bike i go . Fill the battery with the acid is step one .Why is there never quite enough of that stuff ? Always seems to be just short . Put battery on charger for a few hours and then load it back into the bike . Ready set click click click . Oh crap ! Ok no big deal i kinda knew that the starter would need to be rebuilt or replaced the end of last year anyway . So ok ,pullout the starter and take the starter apart . Things dont look so good in there .Every thing is fried or turned to dust . Again no big deal .Remember last october you bought a used starter on ebay for $30.00 bucks ? Ah yes Brent ,your a pretty smart fella ,Always good to have a spare starter around .This will be a snap now . But wait ,stater just dont seem to want to fit .So close and yet so far .Fingers are really starting to hurt from all this pushing and pulling .So after a few hours of messing around ,i quit tomorrows another day and i decided to order a new starter from Caltric for $70.00 .sent to your house in 2 days .Cant beat that with a stick right ? Well ,the time had come to install the new starter and she slid in place perfect after changing out the gear sprocket ,Watch out for that little sucker too .Cause if u drop her down deep inside you will be crying yourself to sleep at night . Ok ,new starters in ,,123 click click click . What The ,and u know the rest of them words . Ok,take the starter back out and bench test it . Nothing there barely a sound just kind of goes grrrr.
Get a hold of caltric ,tell them that there starter is junk and hurry ,send another .Days past ,no sigh of another starter .So on the phone i go to Caltric ,Hey where is my replacement starter i ask . Well you have to send back the other one first iam told .Now you have got to be kidding me i said ,You guys send me a junk starter and you want me to pay for return shipping on a piece of crap ,where as i have already paid for this and have waited long enough .The words just came spewing out of my mouth.Iam not proud of some of the words i was using ,but i think they understood where i was coming from.After all this i go bike to the bike and look at all the pieces of starters i have hanging around .Truly i should be able to make one good starter out of 3 right .? And so it goes ,two hours later and 123 VROOM VROOM VROOM . She fired right up after sitting all winter and i did not have to use the choke. Well today i am still waiting for the replacment starter ,,its always good to have a spare ya know /
Attachments

Thanks For Reading
Brent
http://www.sunkboat.com

brentsboats
Sold 82 gl1100 Sold 2002 vulcan nomad ,now have 86 gl1200 and 94 gl1500 work in progress

Re: my stunning gl1100 1982

Postby brentsboats » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 am

And i would like to add ,the bike runs perfect ,,33k for miles and for sale
Thanks For Reading
Brent

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 am

Well done Brentsboats, I am glad you proved to be smarter than the average wrencher. When you started your tale of woe, I thought that you were going to end with "I threw a lighted match at it, and we all sat around and had toasted marsh-mellows!"

Well put together, both your fix of the GW, and your posting.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

brentsboats

Postby brentsboats » Sun May 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Not to many people reading this post .Must be hidden or something .. SOLD THE Old Gal 2 days ago ..Buyer called me up next morning ,,Guess what ?? CIK CLK CLK .. New Battery from wallyworld was junk .He bought a new one from NAPA ,,no more CLK CLK CLK ,hes happy has a clam ..and me too cause i got me a 2002 nomad .. stay tuned for that story and new posting .. :o
Thanks For Reading
Brent

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Mon May 04, 2015 3:32 am

Stop it...Just stop it and stop telling all these tall tales about a Nomad..... I see no Nomad .... because there is NO photograph of a Nomad... You will need to Prove it... :lol: :lol:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 04, 2015 1:11 pm

brentsboats wrote:Not to many people reading this post .Must be hidden or something .. SOLD THE Old Gal 2 days ago ..Buyer called me up next morning ,,Guess what ?? CIK CLK CLK .. New Battery from wallyworld was junk .He bought a new one from NAPA ,,no more CLK CLK CLK ,hes happy has a clam ..and me too cause i got me a 2002 nomad .. stay tuned for that story and new posting .. :o

There is a very good reason why people call the Wal-Mart junk "Everstart" batteries "Neverstart" :)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”