DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
detdrbuzzard
Motorcycle: '84 aspencade,'93se
'75750.'79750/9k
'79 750f.'85450sc
'06 st1300a

Re: DEFINE; Biker and Motorcyclist

Post by detdrbuzzard » Sat May 02, 2015 5:41 pm

I ride a motorcycle the public says I'm a biker or motorcyclist but I'm just me on a motorcycle

'99 ST1100, '93 se
'75 cb750k, '79 cb 750f, '79 cb750 superK
cb 450sc, sunL70
'06 st1300a
.... william

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Sat May 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Screw that,,, I'm Steve Freakin Mcqueen :lol: No No I'm The wild one guy,,,, aaaaahhh Marlin Brando,,,Or or Bronson no I'm Bronson, that's it...

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Post by Mag » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 am

So....Friday was a dry day in the NW (it is about time)....and told someone I am really looking fwd to the "bike" ride home.....and I always use "bike" is what I ride. Then a person wanted to know who owned the "spaceship looking bike" in the back of the parking lot. "Motorcycle" has a lot of syllables, does not roll off the tongue, and if everyone else uses "bike" then I guess I am a biker. All I can say is based on the words of John Travolta in Wild Hogs....."Come on, let's ride!!!!" It is all interchangeable now I think.

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Post by ka4yqi » Sun May 03, 2015 11:45 am

I pick this up some where. Not my words but I do agree with them.

Becoming a motorcyclist...
...was one of the best decision of my life, and I was fortunate enough to make it early. Notice I said "motorcyclist," and not "biker." I don't collect, build, sit on, trailer or show "bikes." I ride motorcycles... long and hard and often.

A modern motorcycle, ridden correctly, is one of the most freedom enhancing machines ever devised by human beings.... continents, mountain ranges, deserts and plains.... they all go much better with a motorcycle! I am so thankful that I was given the freedom and opportunity to spend much of my life on a series of powerful and affordable bikes....

I was born free, lived free, and -- God willing -- I shall die free, and no one could ask more from life. Freedom is my most important, over-riding value, and nothing lends itself to freedom as much as a motorcycle.

The greatest impediments to human freedom? At least in this society? Are the restrictions and fears generated in your own mind.... Don't let your dying words be, "I wish I would have....." Regrets on the deathbed are to be avoided at all costs.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun May 03, 2015 4:46 pm

FM-USA wrote:Some of these answers can get this thread into trouble if one took offense.
Which makes me wonder,... maybe I should just request this thread be deleted?
It has been my long lived experience that people only get offended in a discussion if they wish to get offended. You could request this thread be deleted, but it would not serve the purpose it will serve if it is left alive. We all have opinions. We can voice them here. If there is anyone who does not like said opinion, they can skip over it and not read it, :lol:
FM-USA wrote:I seem to touch on near taboo subjects no one else dares to touch.
I'm NOT looking for conflict, just individual theories with different persona's of light hearted entertainment.
I have no idea why this subject would have any taboo to it. I accept the name "Biker", and also "Motorcyclist", and Motorcycle Enthusiast", and "Cycle Jockey", and "Organ Donor", which is what ambulance drivers call us. I have also heard that "You don't call them a biker till you see them ride" That could apply to any and all of the sobriquettes aforementioned. Tell you what - if anyone here does not wish to be called any of the names I mentioned, just let me know, and I will be sure not to call you that. As for me - just not late for dinner.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc

Post by FM-USA » Sun May 03, 2015 6:34 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Screw that,,, I'm Steve Freakin Mcqueen :lol: No No I'm The wild one guy,,,, aaaaahhh Marlin Brando,,,Or or Bronson no I'm Bronson, that's it...
NOOooo,..
"FIRST came me, THEN came Bronson."

;)
Last edited by FM-USA on Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Post by HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:46 pm

I do not know what a biker is. I'm not sure what a motorcyclist is either.

I know I love to ride motorcycles. I ride as often as I am able to ride. Some people think I'm crazy. Others shake their head when they see me riding in weather that doesn't fit the paradigm for "riding weather." I don't know that that makes me. I only know I don't care.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

barnaclebill
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing SE Trike conversion (Totally submerged in 2011 floods),
rebuilt with replacement 1992 engine

Post by barnaclebill » Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm

52wingnut wrote:Bikers are elitists. It's HD or NOTHING!
Motorcyclists are in it for the ride.
Destination is just the place where you start planning your next ride.

There's your 3 sentences. And I definitely fall under the Motorcyclist description. I also wave at ALL riders and stop to help if needed. I don't care what you ride.

I suspect you are talking "USA" here! In many of the countries I've ridden in the majority two-wheelers are mopeds, scooters, hop-ons, but they are all called bikes, and the riders, "bikers". I consider myself a "Biker", I ride a Goldwing Trike, my last four or five bikes have all been Hondas! In my eyes, a Biker is a person that rides for the fun of it, respected his bike and those of others, and knows how to look after it. On the other hand, a Motorcyclist is one that ones a bike throughout necessity

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Post by brettchallenger » Mon May 04, 2015 2:56 am

one has five letters and the other twelve
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 04, 2015 9:33 am

I'd take either name - really, it's semantics. Yes, some times "biker" is used with a negative connotation, i.e. "biker gang" - but this is not always the case.

I ride motorcycles. If people want to refer to me as a biker, motorcyclist, nutcase, whatever, I don't really care that much. I think the term used reflects more upon the person using the term, than of the person being described.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon May 04, 2015 3:32 pm

I grew up in the mid-50's and learned what a biker is from my older brothers, they preferred Indians.
HD'rs came rumbling in the driveway and I thought it was cool BUT my mom whisked my up and into the house we went (i was 2 then). (These were the type of idiots that shot your engine with there pistols WHILE you were riding)
ANYways, my oldest bro knew how to handle himself, took down Mr Idiot in short order.
They left, noisily and spewed rocks and words.
Later, with memories burned in my brain, I couldn't watch biker movies.

Words are perceived in one way or another with different people.
But the word BIKER will always be a negative for me.. .. always will.
"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." W.C.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Post by littlebeaver » Mon May 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Santa Maria your freakin Old..... Like Viking and Virgil,,,LOL :lol: :lol: I'm only 55...geez....wasn't even born till 59...Good grief... :lol: :mrgreen: My older brother 10 years older rode bikes a lot...

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Mon May 04, 2015 3:57 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Santa Maria your freakin Old..... Like Viking and Virgil,,,LOL :lol: :lol: I'm only 55...geez....wasn't even born till 59...Good grief... :lol: :mrgreen: My older brother 10 years older rode bikes a lot...
My son called and said, "your freakin Old....."

My bro is 17 yrs older. I hung with him a bit when I was real little.
I learned from his growing years stuff that was in the 1940's & 50's.

I have a lot of EKMG+B.
Experiences, Knowledge, Memories Good + Bad

I'll share with good folks, the not so... ARGO! (the movie) ;)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 pm

I don't mind what you call me, as long as you call me for meals!
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Tue May 05, 2015 10:33 am

redial wrote:I don't mind what you call me, as long as you call me for meals!
WELL THAT'S GREAT...
cause the Cannibals are hungry.

:lol:

Couldn't pass one that up.
Last edited by FM-USA on Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 am

Around this part of the world, "biker" is synonymous with OMG member (organized crime, violence, drugs, etc.), whereas "motorcyclist" = motorcycle enthusiast. Among law enforcement here, "biker" is solely used in connotation with violent criminals. The only time it's used regarding normal motorcycle riders is in the media, when written about (in ignorance) by pure neophytes.

Harp
Motorcycle: 2014 Goldwing 1800/A

Post by Harp » Tue May 05, 2015 6:06 pm

It's all in the "eye of the beholder." Many people that I know call me a Biker, until they see the bike. Then I become a Motorcyclist??? I have no tats, one piercing in my ear. I used to be a "big" guy - over 300 lbs. Lost 65 lbs over this last year. I do wear many black t-shirts, jeans & boots all the time. I'm an RN(retired), work as a chef part time and can"t imagine that I would scare anyone.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 am

Biker can only ride until their tush hurts. A motorcyclist rebuilds their seat so to ride till the tank is empty,... again and again and... :P

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 am

FM-USA wrote:Biker can only ride until their tush hurts. A motorcyclist rebuilds their seat so to ride till the tank is empty,... again and again and... :P
Well, I guess that makes it official. When I rode Harleys, I used to ride thousand mile days, so I guess I was a motorcyclist then. Now I ride a Goldwing, and cannot ride that far in a day, so I guess now I am a biker. Hmmmmm. I always thought it was the reverse, if anything. Ya know, all this stuff about bikers being only HD riders, and unclean, and on the unlawful side of society seems a bit biased towards an only one sided opinion. I have not yet met a bad biker, or motorcyclist in my life. Some were outlaws, but good people too. I did more things I am not happy with in the army than I ever did on a motorcycle. And in the army, because I was backed by my government, those things were not only legal, but moral, at the time. If a person does not like the term biker, then perhaps they should try real hard not to be like their opinion of what a biker is. The term is just a word.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 am

themainviking wrote:
FM-USA wrote:Biker can only ride until their tush hurts. A motorcyclist rebuilds their seat so to ride till the tank is empty,... again and again and... :P
Well, I guess that makes it official. When I rode Harleys, I used to ride thousand mile days, so I guess I was a motorcyclist then. Now I ride a Goldwing, and cannot ride that far in a day, so I guess now I am a biker. Hmmmmm. I always thought it was the reverse, if anything. Ya know, all this stuff about bikers being only HD riders, and unclean, and on the unlawful side of society seems a bit biased towards an only one sided opinion. I have not yet met a bad biker, or motorcyclist in my life. Some were outlaws, but good people too. I did more things I am not happy with in the army than I ever did on a motorcycle. And in the army, because I was backed by my government, those things were not only legal, but moral, at the time. If a person does not like the term biker, then perhaps they should try real hard not to be like their opinion of what a biker is. The term is just a word.
You MUST HAVE missed the opening thread.
Didn't you get the memo?
Add a few and be mellow.

What the "HECK" is with the pick?
This thread was meant for a fun quip.
Thus far all I get is lip.

This threads about fun-puns, no need to glare.
Just keep the lines clean with a little flair,
and no one will have a flip!

ENJOY IT, DON'T ABUSE IT ;)

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Post by brettchallenger » Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 am

Harp wrote:It's all in the "eye of the beholder." Many people that I know call me a Biker, until they see the bike. Then I become a Motorcyclist??? I have no tats, one piercing in my ear. I used to be a "big" guy - over 300 lbs. Lost 65 lbs over this last year. I do wear many black t-shirts, jeans & boots all the time. I'm an RN(retired), work as a chef part time and can"t imagine that I would scare anyone.
A 300lb nurse coming to my bedside clutching tubing and a funnel would terrify me!!
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step

littlebeaver

Post by littlebeaver » Wed May 06, 2015 10:49 am

Ok truth be told,,, I feel like I have a lot of big brothers around here, just saying..... :D Some younger brothers too...

83oldwing
Motorcycle: 83 interstate

Post by 83oldwing » Wed May 06, 2015 5:10 pm

The difference between a biker & Motorcycle enthusiastic is not with the person being talked about but with the person talking.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu May 07, 2015 7:04 am

As they ride,...
a biker projects his image with intent, a motorcyclist is intent on sightseeing images.

8-)

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 am

Same question on a couple of other MC forums. Sound familiar? This question comes up all the time on every forum and the responses are always the same. Kinda like a Rorschach test for "motorcycle riders". Says a lot about the personality of the responders. Always interesting and fun to read. :)

http://www.ymhmotoboard.com/topic/diffe ... ycle-rider

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 333AAp4RA2

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.