How Old is Too Old When Buying New Tires?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links

1 Year
11%
2 Years
56%
3 Years
22%
4 Years
No votes
5 Years
11%
6+ Years
No votes
I would buy an "old" new tire if I was given a discount on the price.
No votes

Total votes: 9

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm

I was recently in a local wholesalers warehouse picking up some parts for my ATV that they had on clearance. Normally they don't sell direct to the public.

Just so happened where I was in the warehouse was adjacent to the area they had tires stored. Tires were stored indoors on racks. No windows and a heated building in the winter.

I was browsing the tire rack and immediately saw a Dunlop E3 rear in GL1500 fitment. I pulled the tire off of the rack and searched for the Date of Manufacture stamp. I was shocked to find that the tire was produced in 2005. I should point out that this wholesaler caters more to the Moto-Cross & Snowmobile part of the industry. I imagine Goldwing tires don't exactly fly out of the door. I pointed it out to the employee that I was with but he didn't see a problem with it. He doesn't own a motorcycle either I later found out. Personally I prefer to purchase tires that are at most 2 years old although I haven't always done it. The Dutchman part of me kicked in and thought that maybe, for the right price.........

Got me thinking so I went out and checked some of the tires I had on and for my Goldwing and KLR 650. My Goldwing has Avon tires produced in 2012 which was also the year I purchased. I'm a bit of a tire pack rat for my KLR. I have a selection of various tires for different conditions with dates ranging from 2007 to 2012. The rear tire I am currently running is from 2007, mounted this year and purchased 2 years ago.

So what's your current situation? What are your feelings about buying an "old" new tire? How old will you go? If you get an older tire for less money would you buy it?

The Poll allows two options. Choose the year for how "old is too old" to you. You also have the option of choosing whether you would purchase an old tire at a discount.

Thanks for the input.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: How Old is Too Old When Buying New Tires?

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat May 02, 2015 4:18 pm

The oldest I would accept is 4, or 5 yrs TOPS! .... and only because I go through tires in 1 season.

If I were the sort where a tire lasts me 3, or 4 seasons (or more) I wouldn't accept anything more than 2 yrs old, tops!
Your life is worth more than saving $50

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:18 pm

I agree with Dusty Boots on this one, but I won't accept a tire that is over 2 years old before I put it on. Rather have the safety of the newer tire. :)
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 am

Like Dusty, I want tires that are newer, and for me, preferably less than a year old. I also go through them in a season, but I do not want old tires. 2 years was the best choice I could make from the poll, but as far as I am truly concerned - no older than a year. Only got two tires to ride on, and stability sucks when one of them has no air.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Sun May 03, 2015 5:16 pm

themainviking wrote:Like Dusty, I want tires that are newer, and for me, preferably less than a year old. I also go through them in a season, but I do not want old tires. 2 years was the best choice I could make from the poll, but as far as I am truly concerned - no older than a year. Only got two tires to ride on, and stability sucks when one of them has no air.

Always a good idea to try and get then as new as you can. But I'm the same way, I'd prefer maybe 1yr old.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

ghostvet
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

1997 GL1500SE

Postby ghostvet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:11 am

About a year ago I purchased a new set of Dunlop Elite 3 from my local Honda dealer.

Believe it or not, the Honda dealer was actually cheaper than all the online alternatives for the same tires when you factor in mounting, balancing, installation, and time.

Anyway, the tires were so fresh... They were only 3 months old when I purchased them. Smelled like fresh bread coming out of the oven. Well, not really, they smelled like fresh tires, but you get the metaphor.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 am

I feel 2 years old is enough. While tires may be kept indoors they are under fluorescent lights and there are UV rays coming from them.
Heck, I know where you can get tires from the 1990s, but I wouldn't suggest putting them on anything be a restoration bike.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

bikommuter
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I,1980 CM400T, 2004 VTX 1800 N

Postby bikommuter » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I ride normally about 5000 mi a season. Based on an expected maximum tire life of 15000 miles I would want the tires replaced no more than 6 years old and not expecting to get more than 15000 miles on them. Of course, miles may vary depending on activity in any riding season and the quality of the tires. I change them myself, use Ride-on for balancing. I just put on Avon Cobra's (AV71 and AV72) on my GL1100 Interstate. We'll see how the formula works out. ;)

Return to “Goldwing Chat”